Author Topic: happy christmas one and all.  (Read 2900 times)

jags

happy christmas one and all.
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:33:19 pm »
happy christmas lads and a great cycling new year be safe ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: happy christmas one and all.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 06:45:40 pm »
...and you and you and you!

Well said, jags.

Many thanks and best wishes to you all,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:42:51 pm »
have a good one Dan btw did you post photos of your sherpa  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 09:50:52 pm »
Hi jags,

did you post photos of your sherpa

Nope,  not yet except in isolated little pieces.  I've been waiting till it is complete so I won't have to do updates.  All that is left is the wiring of the taillight and the application of a little "rub patch" to the top tube to prevent scuffs from the Click-Stand.  Then, all will be complete and it'll be posted to the gallery in its entirety.  I'm still so excited about it, and can't wait to take it on a Real Tour in the New Year.  I have big plans for the little fellow, too -- likely a nice ride of around 4,000+km over the Cascade mountain range and on into the heart of Great Basin desert country (complete with some "ghost towns") of the American West.  A nice shakedown for larger stuff.

Hopefully, this will be the year when I finally find time to put up a website with my travel and bike pics.  If I don't feel free to give me a nudge.

Any special plans for 2012 on your calendar, jags?  Remember, there's no such thing as a bad bike ride.  I've enjoyed quick spins around the block in dreadful weather just as much as long tours in remote regions.  So long as one is outside enjoying the world, well, life can't be too bad, can it?

Best,

Dan.

scotian

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 10:06:37 pm »
Merry Christmas,

Two months now with the "Big Yellow Taxi" my favourite bike, the rohloff is great for the commute.

Cheers

Ian

jags

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 11:05:25 pm »
wow sounds fantastic time for you and your sherpa enjoy every pedel stroke.
me well i'm staying home for 2012 Ireland .i'm cycling end to end come May, i have a few lads coming over from the UK to join me on this tour we are all members of the fellclub (you should join it only cost £7 a year check out there website  www.fellclub.org.uk).
i love my sherpa  most of the time  ;D ;D but i want to make a few changes to it  for starters the wheels although sjs done a great job on the build i find them to heavy/ sun rhyno rims are a bit overkill,  xt hubs are fine as is the dt spokes,  the marathon plus are not my favourate tire, there to heavy and i dont like them on wet tarmac a bit skittish  ::).then theres the front forks i want to go with carbon i find the forks to heavy , well by this stage i'm sure you see where im going with this  yes a lighter sherpa ;D ;D
i dont use front panniers i can get all i need so far anyway into my rear  ortlien bikepacker plus.
but the big thing i want to change is the wheels i want much lighter but equally as strong wheels and of course lighter tires.
btw i was thinking of this build for a wheelset what is your thoughts on it, phil wood 9 speed hub  velocity synergy rims 36 hole and dtswiss spokes .
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 11:11:24 pm by jags »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 12:07:58 am »
A big tradition here in Woodstock NY is that Santa comes to town on Christmas eve. But how exactly he arrives, that is different every year.

This year he showed up on a sort of rocket sled, with flames shooting out the back. It took a trailer with dancing reindeer to hold the rocket down! Next to the rocket there were also a couple of elves riding along on a Schwinn tandem bicycle!

Happy holidays of whatever flavor!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 01:08:10 am »
Hi jags,

You're welcome to contact me through my email with any questions and particulars wrt your wheels as you get closer to building them.  Are you going to build them yourself, or have them done?  If you're going it alone and are a first-timer, I can heartily recommend Robert Wright's little book on the subject.  It may not still be in print, but is often available on eBay here in the States.  If you need a copy, let me know and I'll keep my eyes open.

As to your Sherpa, I think the wheel change will transform the bike as you desire.  Yes, the frame will still be on the heavy-duty side, but the wheels will be so much easier and quicker to accelerate and I believe the lighter, narrower tires will contribute further to the feel you desire.  They will ride harsher, of course, but that is to be expected, and the carbon fork will offset that.  This is a terrific example of how every single Thorn is unique in some way from all its brethren.  Yours will be ideally suited for your needs and use, jags, and that much more beautiful for being truly personalized. Yes, it is a bit counter to the usual orientation for the frame, but really, who cares?  If it works better for you, then it is the best choice of all.

As to the specifics of the wheel build, I think you're right on track.  I've used hubs by Phil Wood (no relation) since 1978, and have always been very happy with them.  Mine are all of the older style and freewheel-specific, but from everything I've seen, the newer cassette versions are true to the proud heritage of the company.  Their FSA (field-serviceable axle) design is a terrific idea, and makes possible user replacement of the sealed-cartridge bearings wherever you happen to be...including alongside a dirt goat path in the remotest of locales.  Stop, grab a 5mm allen, swap the bearings, and you've got a new pair of hubs for all intents and purposes.  Phil's customer service is generally outstanding, even after he left the company.  I have over 35,000 miles on one set of hubs and more than 28,000 on another, and they are still as nice as the day I installed them.  Three of my bikes have Phil bottom brackets, and I managed to find and fit a pair of Phil platform pedals to my father's bike some years ago.  To reassure you about their customer support, these were used pedals, and one fractured through the spindle due to a flaw in the billet.   All it took was mailing them to Phil Wood & Co. and I received them back repaired, in a week, with a letter of apology from their head of customer service.

<nods>  Yes, Phil cassette rear, Phil front, and the Velocity Synergys are a good combo.  You have the option of an offset rear or conventional.  I used to build wheels professionally, back in the day.  If it were me, I would lean toward three cross, 15g spokes with the pulling spokes originating on the inside of the hub flanges.  DT make top-notch spokes, but in recent years, I have leaned toward Wheelsmith (Asahi), as I prefer their Duristan nipple treatment; it seems to be a much longer-lasting finish than DTs, and I like the Wheelsmith bend and head-flanging treatment a bit better from a builder's standpoint.  I thnk the threads are rolled a little cleaner, and the nipples seem to have a bit less friction when tightened in the rim ferrules at high tension.  In truth, it probably doesn't make a whit of difference in use and I think you'd be happy with either. 

The wheels you are planning aren't too far off what I've used successfully for many years on just about everything, though mine were 700C.  My favorites use Phil hubs, Mavic MA2 rims, and 36, 15g 3x DT spokes.  They're the ones with 35,000 miles on them, and they've hauled me and 50lbs of gear back and forth across Oregon's Cascade Mountains on gravel and dirt as well as done good service on 400k rando rides on pavement.  Yours will be stronger with a 26" rim, but likely no less responsive.  Be careful with tires, though, and try to get a cross-section measurement on a mounted and inflated example of the type you seek before you buy.  Especially in the narrower sizes, so many tires are labeled optimistically and may well be narrower than stated.  I'd suggest something that is truly slick at the tread and around 32-35mm in actual width for your project.  Yes, you'll have to keep them well-inflated and yes, they'll ride harshly, but the overall combination will surely *feel* quicker, I'd judge.  If I may suggest...keep the original fork and spares in case you ever again wish to set the bike up for a touring orientation.  One can't really see the future, and if you've already got the bits 'n' bobs, it doesn't hurt to store them in the shed, "just in case".  It would also be nice if, say, you wished to try the bike on Begian cobbles with wider tires.  Keeping the old parts essentially gives you two Sherpas -- a go-fast and a go-soft.  Sounds like a terrifically fun project, and I look forward to photos of the progress and result, jags.  Good on ya!

Thanks for the fellclub invite, jags; after seeing the club site, I do believe I will plunk down my check for £7; it looks like a good one.  Fine-looking group of folks and what appears to be a lot of fun at meets and rallies.  I envy you the forthcoming Ireland end-to-end; what a wonderful trip ahead for you!  I'll bet you can't wait till May.  Of course, we will all pester you for piccies and reports on your return; I now you'll have a wonderful time and wish you the best.  Ah, lovely Ireland!  Some of my relatives on one side come from around Sligo Bay and the others near the River Shannon. Still others settled near Belfast.  The rest of the family heritage runs toward Scotch, German, French and Dutch.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 01:12:59 am »
Goodness, Jim! 

You've uncovered Santa's secret to fast deliveries -- a rocket sled  :o  and Schwinn-mounted elves!  :D  And  dancing reindeer; can't beat that!   ;D

I can't quite get the vision out of my head...!  What a wonderful kickoff to the holidays.

Best wishes for a safe and happy New Year, and looking forward to more pictures of your Catskill Nomad rides.  Take care, Jim.

Dan.

jags

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 12:01:06 pm »
Dan thanks a million for that wonderful reply i'm delighted you approve of my wheel build i can now start saving to buy all the parts. i would not tackle the build myself but i know a man  who might just give it a go (my son) .i suppose the reason i'm changing things around on the sherpa, i come from a roadie background being cycling lightweight bikes al my life  ;D and to say the sherpa was a bit of a shock would be an understatement  ;) but i do have to remind myself that this is a touring bike built for well you know the story. i did try to source all the parts on this side of the pond but as yet no luck but i'm in no hurry wont be doing this until well into next year but looking forward to the end result ;)
yes i would be interested in that book  if you come across one give me a shout i would appreaciate that .
again thanks oh yeah i id too write ups in the fellclub take a look at them my france tour (disaster) and watlington which was magic.(meet reports)section.
happy christmas
jags.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 01:53:13 pm »
Here's the amazon listing for the Wright book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0890371067

Used copies seem easy to come by!

jags

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 06:46:00 pm »
wow cheapest on the irish site is £11 on american its only 4 dollors.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 07:05:56 pm »
http://www.abebooks.com

is another good place to look & compare e.g. shipping costs

jags

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 08:37:55 pm »
thanks jim i think i got books from them before i'll give them a try cheers.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 08:47:55 pm »
Jags,

Jim has some great suggestions for locating the Robert Wright wheelbuilding book.  It is the one I always  recommend to people starting to build wheels, as it pretty much guarantees they'll 1) actually end up with a wheel and 2) it will be a good, reliable wheel.  Nothing exotic, but very long-lasting and most likely to run true.  If you get the "bug", then experience gained with the Wright book makes a wonderful base to grow from.  He really has done a wonderful job on it, and I think of it as one of the "classic" bicycle texts.  Best of all, if your son tackles the project, it'll have that Special Ingredient that is sometimes missing -- it'll be made with love for Dear Dad (my own favorite wheels were ones I built for family).  These things make a nice project to tackle together.  Even if you don't take spoke wrench in hand, I'm sure he'd appreciate your segregating the spokes by length and prepping the threaded ends.  It sure is a help and speeds things along when someone else is handing over the nipples and double-checking the "handedness" of the rim's spoke drillings.

Just like you, I'm an old roadie, who has never owned a mountain bike or anything heavier than a conventional touring bike (tandem excepted); one of those is also my rando bike, so that tells you something.  I'm grateful in a way that I didn't own something more heavy-duty, as going offroad for so many years on skinny road tires really built my skillset.  I took the Sherpa off-road recently and it was a shock, but a positive one:  It just plowed over and through everything, and I think I could have ridden it eyes-closed, it was so competent (which meant I could be less so).  No offense intended to those who gained their experience going offroad on wider tires (I'm very late to the party here).  It is just that it is such a different experience compared to what I'm used to, it seems easier and less immediately involving in comparison.  The wider footprint of the 26x2.0 tires just made it so much easier than my usual "wide" 700x32Cs (and a lot easier than on 700x23C), and I can surely feel the difference in the larger-diameter, stiffer-tubed frame of the Sherpa, especially with a full touring load.  <nods>  Yes, I got exactly what I paid for, and am happy.  Of course, I had to go with the familiar drop handlebars, though I have to admit I do still miss my half-step gearing.  The good news is, the fit is identical between the two, just as I had hoped (see pic; ol' favorite on left, new Sherpa in the early stages of development on right).

While the Sherpa is versatile enough I could really see it being my "only" bike, it is biased toward what it does best, which is carrying heavy loads on rough roads.  I think of it as my "heavy-duty" all-'rounder and my 1984 Centurion ProTour 15 as my "lighter" all-'rounder.  There's lots of overlap in the middle, but each excels at opposite ends of the spectrum.  If you're riding your Sherpa in conditions at the lighter end of the spectrum, then I can see how you might find it wanting compared to what you're used to as a roadie.  Given that, I think it is entirely reasonable to alter the wheels toward that kind of riding.  After all, "it's yer bike", as the saying goes, and that means you have every right to make it truly "yours".  The wheel and fork change will go far toward putting it in that direction and is surely worth a try, I think.  You will still have a nice, stiff frame for the base, and you can always tune things with tire choice and pressure to a degree.  If things really end up pear-shaped, you could always revert to the original Sherpa setup and easily sell the go-fast wheels, so I don't see it going wrong in the end.

As you get closer to the wheel-build, jags, feel free to give a shout if I can help in some way with questions.  You guys will do fine, I know.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 08:54:06 pm by Danneaux »