Author Topic: Random fun cycling sites/blogs/comics etc  (Read 2889 times)

JWestland

Random fun cycling sites/blogs/comics etc
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:22:07 pm »
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.co.uk/

A snarky look at cycling, fashionistas coming from a utility cyclist in NY. Makes fun of hipsters, $12.000 bikes and other craziness, along with new of his cycle rides/city visits. Really funny

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

A bit of schadenfreude over carbon for the Monday mornings, still have to see a steel bike break in two. Unless a car is involved obviously...

http://www.yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2012-04-16

Comic about a bike repair shop run by two friends, one a utility cyclists, one more a road racer.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

Re: Random fun cycling sites/blogs/comics etc
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:47:53 pm »
well i was strongly thinking of  getting a carbon fork for my sherpa ,
after watching busted carbon i'm sticking with steel  :o
to think i hit  65mph coming down a mountain in spain on my carbon bike .
i wont be doing that again .
almost sorry i watched that now :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:30:39 pm by jags »

Pavel

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 03:48:01 pm »
As I log more miles and upload them, and compare them against some of the fast riders, riders on carbon bikes, I've been a bit tempted.  I even thought to myself "perhaps I was too hasty, perhaps neon color spandex is actually ok!" That is the fist step, I knew, to going that racer boy way, and of course racer by me would mean a new carbon bike, like those I shook my head over, over the last few years.
I followed the link from this post (thank you JWestland), the busted carbon site and while I always knew that carbon was suspect as far as  reliability - it was still a wake up call.

Then just by coincidence I happened to find this blog and this post. What price the supposed progress? :
http://cycleseven.org/carbon-fibre-fork-failure

No more carbon daydreams and I know that I hated the one aluminum frame I suffered through - so, yeah, I have it re-affirmed now - any new bike in the future will be steel.  I may never get a 14 pound bike now to counterweight the 38 pound Atlas on those days I want to go fast, but there is a silver lining there.  Steel bikes just look awesome first of all.  I love that classic look.  Second of all, it saves the world from seeing me go crazy buying a carbon frame, worrying about titanium screws and using dehydrated water to save weight. Most important of all however - the world is not ready to see my and my beer enhanced belly in a bodysuit!

Your post saved me! :D

jags

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 05:34:07 pm »
my 28 year old raleigh 753 is as good and as sweet as the day it was made
pity i can't post a couple of pics of her she's a real stunner.
yeah steel for me as well tried and tested over the years.

JWestland

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:21:27 pm »
I think I have a bad influence :)

In all fairness plenty of people use carbon with no problems and thorn is now doing carbon forks. But damage that is minor for steel (dents, knocks, falls) and aluminium (falls, knocks) can be really damaging on carbon.

So from a useability durability pov steel and aluminium win. But unless you have a handmade or very expensive aluminium frame (kola miyata or expensive treks) there's only a minor weight saving.

Please don't be forever scared of carbon as it's not that unsafe ;)
But for touring or commuting...nah I don't see it and I'm a scaredy cat if I ever go race alu/carbon fork as far as I go ;)

JWestland

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:47:34 pm »
Btw dehydrated water lol good one Easiest weight saving for the hills is still losing weight oneself not the bike ;) Easy to say I know :)