Author Topic: Thorn Club Tour Mk4  (Read 12415 times)

ians

Re: Thorn Club Tour Mk4
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 10:10:11 pm »
a really handsome bike.  I like this very much.

ian

sjacka

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 08:18:02 am »
Beautifull bike, I think it will the bike will even look better when you flip the stem?

gaz46

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 03:25:05 pm »
Lovely looking bike Steve. Especially like the colour and finish. Wishing you many happy rides on it.
Your 'ex' has been given an airing for the first time since the back operation last November. We headed to Greenwich and back and are thankfully both still in one piece. It was great to get back on such a solid comfortable ride.

Swislon

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 03:54:09 pm »
Spec:
Frame is 610s Gunmetal Imron
853 MERVC Fork
XT front & rear derailleurs
TA Zephyr 46/36/24 chainrings
XT FC-M370 cranks
Cassette 11-32
Deore hub at rear
Schmidt Son 28 at front
Swiss DT TK540 rims (32 front 36 rear)
XT front V brake with Koolstop salmon pads
Avid BB7 rear cable brake
Tektro RL520 brake levers
Shimano 9 speed bar end shifters
SKS 45 mudguards
Schwalbe Dureme 35mm tyres

I have changed the saddle from the Thorn to a Gilles Berthoud Aspen.
I will probably change the stem very soon and the seat post in the near future plus add front light and Buddy flap at the rear.

I had a good ride yesterday and it rides beautifully. Very comfortable and I hardly noticed the crappy roads round here. The bike in this spec is not fast, certainly with me in the saddle, but it asks you to relax and enjoy the ride and breathe in your surroundings. There is no pressure here to keep up or even to keep to the route.

The bars are old school 25.4mm with MarSAS shock gel under the tape and they are lovely. The brakes are confidence inspiring. I would have liked a pump peg for a Zefal HPX and am carrying a mini pump in the Barley bag, not my ideal choice. The bike with these tyres is very "planted" and solid feeling, which will be great for Roughstuff riding. I will change the tyres to the GrandBois Cypres 32mm at some point and keep the Duremes for winter and Roughstuff. The GrandBois are a lot lighter and should be much livelier.

I like it alot! ;)

I cannot compare the fork to the Super Tourist as i haven't tried the other fork. This fork is very comfortable I tried one at the NEC a couple of years ago and loved it so just knew I would get one on this bike. I have no need for front panniers so was a no brainer for me (except for the extra cost!).

Swislon

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 03:58:15 pm »
Hi Gareth,

Glad you are back on the bike and recovering!
I hope you are treating her well?

All the best
Steve

jags

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 04:10:39 pm »
Steve where did you buy the tyres grand bios  ;)

jags.

Swislon

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 10:24:10 pm »
hi jags,

Apologies for late reply. The Grand Bois came direct from Compass Bicycle, i couldn't find them in UK any cheaper or without a delay.

http://www.compasscycle.com/tires.html

Steve

jags

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 11:26:20 pm »
Thanks Steve .