Author Topic: My new dream build.....Audax by Thorn of course  (Read 13247 times)

DrJim

My new dream build.....Audax by Thorn of course
« on: October 21, 2013, 03:07:46 am »
1.   Cobalt Blue
2.   Campagnolo Veloce Triple Race 9 speed gears – 12-28  Cassette   30-42-52 Chainring
3.   Campagnolo Veloce Ergo brifters with Shamano medium reach  Ultegra level brakes
4.   Campagnolo Race 170cm cranks
5.   853c steel fork
6.   Grand Bois (Panaracer) Cerf green Extra Léger
700C x 29 mm
7.   Size 550 medium
8.   Blackwell Carbon handlebar with Brooks Honey leather tape
9.   Hope pro 3 hub rear and Hope hub front
10.   DT SWISS RR 465 RIMS Silver rims
11.   San Marco Rolls Classic Brown leather seat
12.   Shimano PD M540 pedals
13.   P 35 Planet Bike mudguards
14.   Lights and rear lightweight carrier not shown
James H. Oppenheim, DC, MPH

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: My new dream build.....Audax by Thorn of course
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 03:56:40 am »
Ah, Jim...what a lovely bike! I can almost hear jags salivating over it, being that wonderful shade of blue!

Really nice to have another Audax in the gallery, and what a build you have! A dream indeed, and one to last the ages. All details "just so" and it couldn't look nicer! What a delight it must be to ride.

Best wishes for many happy miles together, Jim -- good on ya!

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:08:24 am »
man just did dan  ;D ;D lovely bike.

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 12:31:36 pm »
Hello,
Obviously the bike is nice!But unlike some others I don't jump straight in salivating just because its a Thorn. It is a Thorn and we Thorn fans love them all in different ways. I like the one shown of course, but a couple of questions. As Dan in particular will testify, I like a good looking set-up. So here goes! No offence intended.
Why Black forks? Why the strange stem to handlebar set-up. Why mudguard stays sticking out of there attachment points?
All in all thought I like the bike and colour scheme.
Best regards,
John

DrJim

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:30:19 pm »
Ah John, I see you  are a detail man....good! I confess I did sell my dream bike short just a little......my salary goes only so far without getting in the the trouble zone.  mudguards are from a former RM Sherpa 30.....the stem is from my sold Serotta for height as well as the handlebars...the black fork...well I just thought it would look cool.....when I want to add weight for touring I can throw on the standard cobalt blue fork easy enough......Jim

DrJim

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 01:34:06 pm »
And for everyone...thanks.....my commute is very nice indeed with this bike even if it is like gorilla commuting since our town just isn't bike aware too much ;D

jags

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 01:45:28 pm »
black forks would be my choice as well i would have bought silver mudguards my self but looking at that wee beauti  the black  is much better.

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 03:14:48 pm »
Ah John, I see you  are a detail man....good! I confess I did sell my dream bike short just a little......my salary goes only so far without getting in the the trouble zone.  mudguards are from a former RM Sherpa 30.....the stem is from my sold Serotta for height as well as the handlebars...the black fork...well I just thought it would look cool.....when I want to add weight for touring I can throw on the standard cobalt blue fork easy enough......Jim

Hi,
I just noticed from your description that the forks are 853 and so, I 'forgive' the colour discrepancy! I admit that if a Thorn supplied Carbon fork were available to accommodate 28mm Conti Gatorskins, I too would be persuaded to black forks!
The bar/stem I am now certain you will change once funds/availability arrive.
As already mentioned, the bike looks pretty nice, but you simply must trim those mudguard stays  ;D
Best of enjoyment riding but, in my opinion the Audax is not a load carrying tourer.
John
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:22:11 pm by leftpoole »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 03:25:14 pm »
...you simply must trim those mudguard stays  Grin
Hi John!

As much as I love perfectly arc'd mudguards, I left the stays on my own bikes untrimmed-but-capped (Shock!  ;D ) so I can adjust them if needed to accommodate different tire sizes and so I can achieve a little bit more clearance when I know I will be touring on playa and will need that bit of extra room at the trailing edge to avoid clogging or jamming and to accommodate an extra-long mudflap. I even ordered uncut stays from PlanetBiketo replace the neatly trimmed ones supplied by Thorn on both Sherpa and the Nomad. They are supplied with robust 10mm nylock locknuts, helping to prevent loosening from the sometimes severe vibration of the rough surfaces I often ride.

When I'm back from the riding the potentially gooey stuff, then I snug the 'guards down again into a nice, neat arc and all looks nice again -- except for those capped stay-ends, of course. I employed black caps to better blend in and hide my 'guardly sins. A necessary evil, sometimes.  ;)  :D

All the best,

Dan. (...whose requirements sometimes conflict with his aesthetic sense)

DrJim

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 05:11:22 pm »
You are correct I simply must dig up some caps for those unsightly stays!   As far as the stem/handlebar combo go....I need a few hundred miles to see where to go from here if at all.....I know it looks a wee bit dorky but if it makes me happy cruising down the road than that is what is going to be important to me. Of course I do realize that beauty is wonderful.....beauty with function is so much better.....

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 05:25:43 pm »
You are correct I simply must dig up some caps for those unsightly stays!   As far as the stem/handlebar combo go....I need a few hundred miles to see where to go from here if at all.....I know it looks a wee bit dorky but if it makes me happy cruising down the road than that is what is going to be important to me. Of course I do realize that beauty is wonderful.....beauty with function is so much better.....

Hi,
You appear to be a nice guy! Enjoy.
John
www.pbase.com/leftpoole

DrJim

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 05:35:50 pm »
Ya I hear that from a lot of people....fooled them ....HA!   Really though it is incredible to me that I have yet to find a photo including mine that does justice to that cobalt blue.....it is stunning!  When I opened the box and saw the frame I was very happily surprised......I bet all the colors are like that...

DrJim

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 07:30:54 pm »
BTW John, your blue Audax is sweet as well.....

peter jenkins

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:57 am »
I have yet to see a blue Audax. There aren't many Thorns in this neck of the woods.

I wonder if it is the same blue as my Club Tour, which actually changes shade depending on the light and angle of vision. Parts of the frame will appear to be quite dark and others light, but as you walk around it they will change from light to dark and vice versa.
You can see the effect a little in the photo (hopefully) here.

http://s572.photobucket.com/user/berlioz_bucket/media/Thorn/DSCN0844_zpsd9c5c084.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10

The bottom half of the downtube appears darker, but only from that angle.

I bought the bike in 2005 so it's possible that Thorn has changed the paint used since then.

And just for Jags... I have black mudguards instead of silver.

Cheers all,

pj

DrJim

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 05:23:29 pm »
I think the blue is a bit different, maybe deeper.....I will put a few more photos up later after work to show the difference between inside the bike shop and outside.....btw......looking at that traffic really brings across to me how wonderful the bicycle is for commutes....JO///

and I did look at silver mudguards but the black one the game