Author Topic: what kickstand is best  (Read 37002 times)

John Saxby

Re: what kickstand is best
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2014, 02:52:49 am »
I think they're on holiday in Holland or Norfolk -- looks pretty flat to me, & no sheep anywhere to be seen ...

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2014, 05:47:28 am »
<snip>
I reckon Thorn are just covering themselves against 'grunts' who overtighten everything.
<snip>

Clickstands..... way too much fiddle-farting about IMHO. I'll be in the cafe sitting down with my coffee while you're still securing your brake bands...

Hi Pete - I'm sure you're right about Thorn's concerns, but I've no doubt they're valid! :)

But I have to add my vote for the Clickstand. I can whip my stand out of my bar bag and set my bands (one is usually all that's needed) in about 10 seconds. If you're already having coffee, it's either cold or you've phoned ahead with your order!  :D

I found the lackey bands supplied by Tom were great for the drops on my Trek, but they got in the way on my Nomad's comfort bars. So I just carry a little length of fine-hook Velcro tape rolled up on the bar. It takes about 3 seconds to whip it off and wrap it around the brake lever. I carry a spare but almost never set both brakes.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2014, 04:52:54 pm »
Not just us that have noticed the pitfalls of using clamp on stands, http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/kickstands_on_long_haul_truckers

Andre Jute

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2014, 06:09:05 pm »
I must say I consider a bicycle designed for adults without a stand to be a sign of incompetence. I simply don't believe the designers who retrospectively foam at the mouth and try to make out that not supplying mounting points for a stand is matter of principle; they're just trying to bluster away their oversight: "Well for f*ck's sake." -- official Surly response; see http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/kickstands_on_long_haul_truckers

Personally, I think of Andy Blance as a sort of minor god, but even he has two little toes of clay, and one of them is the lack of fittings on his bikes for a stand. The other is welding on an expensive steel bike where there should be lugs. Both arise from the same place as so much unwanted bicycle "heritage" creeping into design with deleterious effects, racing in the wretched Peugeot 10-speed era, whose influence seems ineradicable. There are now only two bikes on my shortlist every year at Christmas when I wonder about buying a new bike, and on the very short demerits list for Thorn the first two items are "Welded!" and "No Stand!" Those have been dealbreakers ever since I started keeping that list in 2002, when there were five bikes on it, welded bikes were still admissable, and "No Stand!" was the top deal breaker. I have zero intention of laying an expensive bike on the ground, and even less intention at my age of bending over inelegantly to pick up a loaded bike. Both are silly things to expect a customer to do. Carrying a separate stick in the luggage, and working with velcro ties (which will last how long before they lose their nap?), is a bodge Heath Robinson himself would reject out of hand.

This entire business of turning stands into the primary evil of touring bikes is one of the great duh-moments of bicycle design, and so widespread as to assume the dimensions of a mass-hysteria, which is why "for f*ck's sake" Surly and others overreact every time the subject is raised. Ask yourself how much it would cost, if you're having your own tubes drawn anyway, as Thorn brags of doing, to have extra-long butts for mounting two-leg standers drawn into the front end of chain stays? The answer is peanuts. This is about either not thinking of it, or reflexively, because of the hanging history of racing bike design, rejecting the few extra grammes, thus consigning cyclists to years of inconvenience for the sake of a few grammes.

It's plain guilt causing bicycle designers to get hot under the collar any time the subject of bicycle stands is raised.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:06:45 am by Andre Jute »

triaesthete

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2014, 06:48:05 pm »

In Yorkshire they say God built thousands of miles of drystone walls and countless brick outhouses to save us fitting stands. Those that do fit them are subject to divine retribution for their ungratefulness and have to carry the burden up all the hills.  I once went a month on a motorcycle without any stands and that was only a minor inconvenience  ::)

Andre you sound like you might defect to Rivendell if they fitted hub gears.

It's all mechanical Marmite to someone out there...

Don't stand when you can lean ( or summat!)
Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2014, 07:00:41 pm »
Don't stand when you can lean ( or summat!)
Ian

Absolutely nothing, not even electrification, divides cyclists as much as the common or garden bike stand! Dan had better hurry back before the bloodshed starts.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2014, 07:07:32 pm »
If you kids don't behave I'm turning the car around right now! I can see you in the rearview mirror.

All the best,

Dan (...who took a gamble that paid off and rode diagonally across a good part of Hungary today to end up well south of Budapest)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:04:11 am by Danneaux »

triaesthete

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2014, 07:17:32 pm »

Well Sir I challenge you to a duel.  Pletscher aluminium or klickstand? Choose your weapon.

Quick while Dan's not looking.

Andre Jute

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2014, 07:52:38 pm »
Well Sir I challenge you to a duel.  Pletscher aluminium or klickstand? Choose your weapon.

Esge.

triaesthete

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2014, 08:21:24 pm »

Not now Cato!

I only fight in Esperanto on sundays.

You standites are all doomed as the tentacles of consumerism will eventually trap you to with something like this http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/technology_new/item_electrohydraulic_centre_stand.html&notrack=1

mickeg

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2014, 09:37:34 pm »
The Surly position on long haul truckers and kickstands has been around for about 4 or 5 years.  I am not sure if they started having problems when they redesigned the frames or not, but I think that their warning on crushing chainstays came out about a year after the frame re-design, which leads me to suspect that the chainstays became a bit more fragile with the new design.

I bought my long haul trucker frame in fall 2004 which was their first year of production.  At that time I suggested to Surly (by e-mail) that they move their spare spokes holder to the right chainstay instead of the left where they installed it because the spare spokes holder got in the way of mounting a kickstand at the rear dropout.  

Surly responded:
"most frames traditionally had the spoke braze-ons on the right side
(driveside) of the frame. but we opted to put it on the left side, to avoid
having the chainslap ruin the paint on them. there are a bunch of dropout
mounted kickstands on the market, all have differnt profiles, so it's hard
to make sure they all work and keep the functionality of the spoke holders.
but thanks for the suggestion, if i ever get unburried, i'll go test some
out."

Thus, I installed the kickstand on the chainstays where Surly now says you can crush the chainstays.  I think part of the problem is that kickstand manufacturers often used really big bolts.  Big bolts require big wrenches.  When you have a big wrench on a big bolt, you apply a lot of torque.  I use blue locktite on my kickstand bolts and I am always careful to not tighten them too much, only enough for them to stay on and not shift position.  But some people probably were not careful to only use just enough but not too much torque.

I really hate the kickstand in that position, especially if I have 60 pounds of camping gear on the bike, I prefer the kickstand mounted at the rear dropout.

Kickstand on my LHT is in the up position in the attached photo.  The black stuff on the chainstays is inner tube rubber to protect the paint from the kickstand.  You can also see the front but not the back part of the spare spoke holder in the photo.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:41:36 pm by mickeg »

mickeg

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2014, 09:55:12 pm »
On my Nomad I am quite happy with a single legged kickstand at the rear dropout.  The brand of kickstand is Greenfield.  It comes with plastic to wrap around the frame to protect the paint.  I did not used their plastic on the seatstay, instead I put several wraps of electrical tape around it because the provided plastic did not stay in the right place.

I only tighten the bolts "enough" to keep it on and I use blue locktite on the bolts to prevent them from coming too loose.  Since the kickstand initially deforms the plastic, it needs periodic tightening every couple weeks when first installed.

I have never used the click stand and I am not saying that there is anything wrong with it.  I am just saying I prefer a frame mounted kickstand.

I have watched people try to get something out of an Ortlieb backroller when there was nothing nearby to lean their bike against and they did not have any form of stand.  It was rather humorous to watch.

I would be nervous about the stress on a frame with a two legged kickstand that lifts one wheel off of the ground when the bike is loaded with panniers, thus I think the single legged stand is best - or for those that prefer the clickstand, using that.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:57:27 pm by mickeg »

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2014, 07:58:30 pm »
I must say I consider a bicycle designed for adults without a stand to be a sign of incompetence. I simply don't believe the designers who retrospectively foam at the mouth and try to make out that not supplying mounting points for a stand is matter of principle; they're just trying to bluster away their oversight: "Well for f*ck's sake." -- official Surly response; see http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/kickstands_on_long_haul_truckers

It's plain guilt causing bicycle designers to get hot under the collar any time the subject of bicycle stands is raised.

Displays of emotion can be unsettling for middle aged men, but the point seems sound. A 50kg bike is a hassle to manhandle.

jags

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2014, 10:44:55 pm »
Who started this Thread anyway  ::)

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2014, 11:51:15 pm »
Who started this Thread anyway  ::)

I think 'twas me that poked the sleeping beast  ;)

Jokes aside, Andre is right. Why it's even an issue in this age of advanced frame design is bewildering. You would think that bikes that are so purposely designed for all day use under heavy loads should be designed to accommodate convenience as well as reliability, and the extra weight would be negligible.

I've never ridden one, but a friend is about to start selling Tout Terrain in his LBS, and I can't wait to try out a Silk Road with integrated rear carrier, disc brakes (asymmetric forks) and standard kickstand (dropout-mounted). I'm keen to compare ride quality, etc. with my Nomad, as a gauge for appreciating the relative merits of the design choices made.