Author Topic: Think I totally messed something up. Help!  (Read 6977 times)

keleher

Re: Think I totally messed something up. Help!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 12:49:25 pm »
to expr....

By "nothing catches" I mean that when I put a 2/2.5mm allen wrench into the holes in hope of it engaging w/ a grub screw, it doesn't.

The small hex nut will not turn. This is the nut that the cog fits over. In other words, the obstruction is deeper down.  The ex gear mech works fine.

What will checking for drive give me? It doesn't shift..

keleher

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 01:03:03 pm »
Rohloff says that the torx screws must all have sheared off somehow. Sending to germany.

Back to derailleurs for a few weeks.

expr

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 01:25:38 pm »
Sorry keleher, with regards to the drive, I was just trying to ascertain what is and isn't working. I'm not convinced that the screws are all sheared off, and the shifting shaft moves independently of the hub internals which seems odd as to why it will not adjust either way..

Keep us posted as to what rohloff suggest was the cause.. Hope you get sorted soon.

Dave.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:30:44 pm by expr »

expr

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 02:03:14 pm »
Here are some pics img 2217 shows the reverse side of the part your screwing into, also note the pawl springs which although ive never heard of it could also be cause for jamming up the hub....http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/168875892  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:06:01 pm by expr »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 03:04:00 pm »
...Rohloff says that the torx screws must all have sheared off somehow....

Yikes! That is really...something...! Keleher, may I ask if you contacted CycleMonkey, who list themselves as "...the sole North American Service Partner for the Rohloff" ( http://www.cyclemonkey.com/ )? If you haven't yet posted the hub, it might save a bit of time and shipping cost for you.

Dave, just want to pause a moment to bestow a "Shining Star Award" on you for a fantastic helping job! We all benefit from such an impressive and dedicated effort; my sincere thanks.

All the best, hoping for a great outcome,

Dan. (...reminded of Honda transaxle synchro-ring replacements, back in the day...)

expr

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 04:18:11 pm »
Thanks Dan, I do hope he gets  it sorted out OK with rohloff or  cyclemonkey, I don't feel like I've really done anything to help much...

The one thing that does make me wonder with regards to the "rohlof design" is why they decided to drill and thread all the way through, apart from the fact it's easier to extract broken off screws.. It's a double edged sword in some respects with good and bad points either way.

I'm not sure we might get  the answer were looking for from Germany, I think sometimes their opinion of fault is a little bit of smoke and mirrors to help keep the rohloff records of achievement as good as possible, we will have to see what the outcome is...

I wouldn't mind getting my oily mits over it to spread a little ray of light over the situation, does seem odd.. It's always difficult to diagnose some faults but this one should stand out like a soar thumb, there must me something in there blocking the shifting shaft...

il padrone

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 02:33:14 am »
Are you sure you don't have the problem I faced - shiftiing was extraordinarily hard using a spanner on the pivot under the external box, and not possible using the handlebar shifter.

The reason - in adjusting the position of the EX box I had taken the cover plate out and the little shifting cog fell out. I put it back in, but it was the wrong wa around. It's not symmetrical. When I reversed it and suddenly I could shift  ;D

keleher

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 03:57:21 am »
Padrone, certainly didn't see any such thing.

Andy Blanch talked to Rohloff, who said to ship it to Neil at Cycle Monkey. I have been talking to Neil, by the way, and he offered to ship me new screws gratis.

Unfortunately, I think he's in the process (yesterday or today) of moving back to California from DC, where I'm at :-(.

So presumably we'll talk in a few days and I'll get it shipped off.

Meanwhile, I've been working on my venerable long haul trucker to ride in the interim.

il padrone

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 09:15:05 am »
This is the cog I'm referring to. It has the teeth on one end (the outboard end) of it that engage with gears in the EX box.

keleher

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 10:03:37 pm »
Finally got wheel back from Cycle Monkey (US service partner for Rohloff). The screws had indeed sheered off inside the hub. The fix was just to remove them, as I hadn't exerted any great pressure that would have damaged things.

I'm a big guy, but this still shouldn't have happened. I suspect it occurred when I hit a huge railroad-gap doing 30+ mph, fully loaded for touring. I was almost unbelieving that the bike and wheels survived, but they seemingly did. To be clear, the screws presumably sheared at this point, but they weren't forced into the hub until I attempted to use new screws later.

It's not good that this happened, but that was a very unusual circumstance, and all is now well.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:11:03 pm by keleher »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 10:08:34 pm »
Hi Pete!

Good to hear from you, and terrific news that you finally have your hub back -- yay!

Boy, what a story of the failure and events that led up to it. Sometimes a person can't see how bad those railroad crossings are till you're you're already there and it is too late (I've been caught out on those once or twice myself!). The impact-shock can be tremendous, especially if one doesn't have enough warning to stand up in time.
The screws had indeed sheered off inside the hub. The fix was just to remove them, as I hadn't exerted any great pressure that would have damaged things.
So glad it wasn't worse, and apparently no damage was caused inside. Whew!
It's not good that this happened, but that was a very unusual circumstance, and all is now well.
Agreed! So glad it is now back with you so you can use the bike once again.

Thanks for followup and telling us the "rest of the story".

Best,

Dan.