Author Topic: Ergon gp5 observation.  (Read 3199 times)

in4

Ergon gp5 observation.
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:50:10 am »
On balance I really like my gp5 but I thought I would share an observation: Given the teardrop shape of the grips has anyone, like me, found that not being able to 'curl' the digits of ones fourth and fifth fingers leaves the joints closest to the knuckle rather stiff after a 2 hour plus ride? As users will know a racket-type grip is not possible with the gp5s ( maybe with other Ergon grips  too?) and broadly speaking, one uses a quasi horizontal U-shape hand position on the grip. Of course this might all be relative to the grip size and the users hand size; mine are large in both senses. I'd be interested to hear of other's experiences in this regard. For me the advantages of the gp5s outweigh any drawbacks and riding on the 'horns' is both a delight and timely respite.

IanW

Re: Ergon gp5 observation.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 03:13:06 pm »
I started off with Ergon GP1 grips. But I did not quite like the new-to-me straight bar hand position.

So I switched to a pair of GP5 grips, but, although they gave me an alternative hand position,
this new position was no better
and with small hands / short fingers I never felt comfortable or confident using the GP5 bar ends
and in particular I did not like the definitely-not-round cross-section of the ends of these grips.

So I reverted to the GP1 grips but with the addition of some Cane Creek bar ends.
These are still not ideal but they are the best compromize so far.

I have yet to try the more "swept-back" straight bars (which I bought from in4, thanks)
Trying these (with or without the Cane Creek bar ends) is a project for over this winter.
If this trial proves successful, then I shall be offering the GP5 grips for sale.

Regarding the GP1 grips, mine and my spouses' to a much greater extent are getting horribly sticky and worn after just 3 to 4 years.
So does anyone have any experience of any of Ergon's "BioKork" grips? And in particular their longevity?

julk

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 03:49:19 pm »
I have used Ergon GP1s for a goodly time now, fitted to Thorn Comfort bars.
I had never before had such comfort, going back to tubular grips (on an old bike) at one point gave me severe hand pain.

I rest my hands on the GP1 upper surface with fingers and thumb hanging down fore and aft.
I grip only as needed to counteract a bumpy road, never had a problem from the fourth and fifth digits.

I do have biocork on a couple of bikes, they don’t feel as rubbery/sticky, but relatively recent so no lifespan yet.

I have recently got some Ergon mitts which work very well for me as they have no padding.
I found padded mitts worked against the Ergon grip with its large smooth support area.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:51:45 pm by julk »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 10:00:46 pm »
AFAIK, all Ergon grips in the GP series have the same shape. I use the GP2s on my Nomad, as I found the GP5s to be too much bar end, especially when packing for touring (I turn my bars, but don't remove them, so the big stag horns get in the way). They're currently mounted on a GT Avalanche MT bike, but not appropriate for that use, either.

I also don't really GRIP the Ergons as much as rest on them. IMO, hand comfort is all about reducing the lateral and vertical angles in your wrist, as it's that which restricts blood flow and produces the pins and needles. I have addressed the lateral angle by using similar bars to Thorn's Comfort Bars, and they work well for me. For vertical angle adjustment, it is important to get the palm rest on the grip close to parallel with your lower arm, so that your wrist isn't bent up but rather runs comfortably straight from your shoulder to your hand. Also, you don't need a death grip, but really try and relax the hands. I learned that from years of very long days on motorcycles.