Author Topic: Parts for B&M light  (Read 4223 times)

ianshearin

Parts for B&M light
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:47:49 am »
Hi all,

Well after my wet wet trip last Week the USB charging connector seems to have given up the ghost  :'(

If I plug it in the headlight flickers on and off with no way to turn it off, this makes charging impossible.

I have split open the case of the USB connector and cant find any issues, so it looks like something I cant fix.

Any ideas on where I can get a replacement, Ive done a google but come up with nothing... :(
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

in4

Re: Parts for B&M light
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:06:20 pm »
Just a thought: Have you given it a gentle blast with the hair dryer? Or put it indirectly on the radiator?

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:26:26 pm »
Would B & M not be a good place to go?
They are pretty good with customer service.

Planet X

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:30:25 pm »
Sorry to hear that Ian. I have the same unit so curious.
Did you have the USB on the handlebars exposed to the rain directly?

jags

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:34:26 pm »
surly thay will exchange it for you Ian. :o

ianshearin

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »
Ye, done all the obvious stuff, dried it out.
Even opened it up to see if I can see any corrosion on the contacts.

Trouble is, it is entirely my fault, the weather was so bad I was battling the wind and rain so much that I never even thought to worry about anything on the bike other than keep going with my head down and hope that the nightmare would be over. When I got to a safe haven ie the train station I observed that I hadnt even put the plastic cover plug on, it was dangling loose so water would be streaming in...

The B&M site is in german with no facility to change to english( the brit flag is greyed out)
But really I guess its my fault water got in.

I dont mind paying for a new cable, I just need to know where to get one....

Im going to try one last time, I have scraped all the contacts I can see and have glued the button back, tomorrow I will do another test.

On the plus side, best to get these things ironed out before the trip  ;)
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Planet X

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 04:02:19 pm »
On the instruction sheet with the Luxos U, which I'm assuming you have?

".............During rain, the USB socket cannot be used and the rubber cap has to remain closed.....alternatively, the socket (USB) may be protected against moisture e.g.by sheathing it in plastic...."

jags

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 04:07:13 pm »
Ian get in contact with BnM there sure to do something about it. no harm trying. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 04:26:54 pm »
Hi Ian!

I'm sorry to hear your new light is not working properly; how frustrating!

It may not be your fault.

Sadly, water-intrusion and lamp-switch control issues has been reported elsewhere by others in online Fora and vendor buyer reviews, especially in Germany and among the randonneur community. Judging by the reviews and user experiences, not all are affected, but a small percentage from some production runs are. Early production examples seem to exhibit more problems.

I would suggest contacting first the vendor and then B&M to see what suggestions they can offer, and if this is something that might be covered by basic warranty. After all, when you were caught in the rain, you had either the little flap-cover closed or the plug firmly in place, so the light should have remained dry.

Meantime, if you happen to have a bag or box of rice, try detaching the lamp and putting it in the rice. The rice will act as a natural desiccant and absorb some of the moisture. It is a long-shot, but sometimes works with cell-phones that have been immersed. Just be sure to avoid getting any rice grains inside the cable port.

Here are some links to others with similar experiences. Perhaps something in their discussions might help:
Here; about halfway down the page: http://positivo-espresso.blogspot.com/2013/01/led-headlight-reviews.html
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?p=1092958
Look at the reviews at Rose Versand. There have been other reports of water intrusion there.
Later production models of the light have come with an informational paper leaflet from B&M that can be seen/translated here:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=63183.msg1469353#msg1469353
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=63183.msg1470627#msg1470627
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=63183.msg1470738#msg1470738
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=63183.msg1470833#msg1470833

A Google search for (don't use quotes): Luxos U +regen  or +schmutz (rain and filth) will get you more, once translated.

Meanwhile, there can also be issues if the Luxos is used with B&M's Toplight line Plus *brake* light:
http://www.joe-bike.com/2013/06/12/safety-notice-got-both-luxos-u-and-toplight-line-plus-brake-lights-read-this/

Hope this helps. Again, I'd ask the vendor and then B&M for suggestions.

Best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 04:40:31 pm »
When I sent my faulty Ixon IQ back to them, they replaced it free of charge even though it was well out of warranty period.
The email address I have for the person I dealt with is   s.kattwinkel@bumm.de

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 04:46:48 pm »
Ian,

The email Rual thoughtfully provided should get you right to someone who can help. If you still need to make a general inquiry, you can go here: http://www.bumm.de/metanavigation/kontakt.html

And fill in the form blanks. The fields translate as follows:
Subject *:
Title:
First name *:
Name *:
Company *:
Street address: *
Zip code, City *:
Phone *:
Fax:
E-mail *
Message *
(Fields with a * are required fields.)

Best,

Dan. (...for whom GoogleTranslate or the auto-translate function in the Chrome browser are solid gold)

ianshearin

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 06:10:27 pm »
Wow, great help there guys.
I will investigate bumm.de

This is the reason I belong to this site  ;D

Will report back when I have further news.

Thanks again guys
'shing xiong'

ianshearin

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 12:15:47 pm »
As a last chance saloon I have found a little bag of dessicant in a briefcase. I have opened up the casing and stored it in my spectacle case with the dessicant.

I will test it again Tomorow....
'shing xiong'

ianshearin

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 08:12:43 pm »
Opened the button case, sealed it all in a spectacle case with a small bag of dessicant.

I have installed it back on the bike and had a test run, looks like everything is back to normal  :)

Lesson learnt though, I have bought some plastic bags and heavy duty elastic bands which will now form part of my toolkit.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Ian
'shing xiong'

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 11:53:03 pm »
...looks like everything is back to normal
Oh, this is grand news, Ian; wonderful!

What a relief to have that expensive bit of kit back in the running again. It has a wonderfully wide beam, charges, and is all installed. So glad it could be saved!

Best,

Dan. (...who -- even though not mine -- always breathes a sigh of relief at good news after bad)