Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Tyre Blowouts

(1/2) > >>

stutho:
Yesterday while on the way into work I experienced my 3rd blow out in 3 years!
* 2 Years ago I had a wheel rim detach it self in an explosive way. (Damage to the wheel was spectacular about 1/3 of the rim was missing)
* Last year I lost a brand new tire when the tyre bead detached it self (the shop I bought it from replaced the tyre FOC)
* Yesterday the bead detached itself from a tyre that had about 6000miles (+/- 2000miles)

Ok so the first event is probably unrelated to the others but still 2 in 2 years?

The tyres I am using are GeaX Street Runner 26 X 1.25 on a 717 rim. Inflated to 80PSI (max pressure on this tyre / rim combo is 100psi).  The tyres seem well seated onto the rim, so what am I doing wrong?

I like the GeaX tyre – it is cheap, doesn’t easy puncture, light enough for my needs and wears very well.  However I am very dubious of buying another.  I will probably get a Panracer Pasela TA instead.

Any thoughts  

Fred A-M:
Stuart, how about the Schwalbe Marathon Racer?  Not so cheap mind you, about £25 a throw and I'm not sure whether they do them in 1.25.  Never ever had a problem with a Schwalbe thoughh.

stutho:
Hi Fred - It was on my list, however after my last post I went out and bought a Pasela TA (non-folding) from a shop here in Swansea for £16.  Just hope I don't get any more problems.

It is a shame about the Geax tyre, the tread was in very good shape.  I wasn’t expecting to replace it any time soon.

freddered:

--- Quote from: Fred A-M on November 01, 2007, 02:38:00 pm ---Stuart, how about the Schwalbe Marathon Racer?  Not so cheap mind you, about £25 a throw and I'm not sure whether they do them in 1.25.  Never ever had a problem with a Schwalbe thoughh.

--- End quote ---

My Schwalbe Marathon 1.5" totally deformed a few weeks back. I've thrown it away now.  Just shows that even rugged tyres can malfunction

Fred A-M:
Tyres, Ti brooks saddles, pitlocks all seem a little prone to breakage and makes me wonder how many spares I should be taking on travels. 

Off to the Picos again in 2 weeks, taking the RST but only 4 days cycling this time and sod all preparation for 5 X 1,500m climbs.  5Kg more body weight and 4Kg of camping gear into the bargain = a testing time methinks. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version