Author Topic: Danneaux's Nomad  (Read 233960 times)

jags

Re: Danneaux's Nomad
« Reply #465 on: March 21, 2014, 12:11:03 am »
oh be carefull on those roads dan especally at the speed you travel. ;)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #466 on: April 28, 2014, 12:22:50 pm »
That last picture reminds me of the Haar we get rolling in off the sea around Aberdeen.
Saw it last week but photos didn't pick it out too well.
Amazing to see it a cummin at ya.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #467 on: May 06, 2014, 01:42:38 am »
Hi All!

My upcoming tour (though it won't take place on the Nomad) has me thinking I really should assign a better name to this wonderful bike than just "The Nomad", though that precedent seems to hold sway across my stable -- or has, until recently; most share "The" as a first name.

The red tandem (told'ya!) was recently christened "Reddy", 'cos it is both red and um, "ready" for anything.

I'll temporarily apply that name to AndyBG's lovely RavenTour in my use so it will always be ready for my upcoming tour.

This morning, The Nomad's new moniker came to me in a flash. I *think* it is permanent, but will try it on for size awhile before making it stick.

It is...

Seymour, pronounced "SeeMore".  :D

According to the online baby naming sites, Seymour was originally Norman in origin and refers to someone from the St. Maur region, just up the Seine river from Le Havre. I have ancestors from there (they seem to be from everywhere in England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Germany and Hungary), so that's a nice touchstone. I also at one time thought Jane Seymour was pretty spiffy so there's that too, I suppose.

Mostly, this is the bike that will always let me "see more" -- whether it be a logging road, goat trail, gravel road, rough ballast, or almost any other surface mountains to desert that requires some deliberate effort to get away from the mainstream and main roads: It is my expedition touring bike, so the name seems apt.

Best,

Dan. (...and -- maybe! -- Seymour)

Andybg

« Reply #468 on: May 06, 2014, 05:26:08 am »
Hi Dan

It seems like a very fitting name for a bike that really is going to take you everywhere. I am sure the Red Raven Tour will not mind taking up a pseudonym for you trip.

I have on my list today to give her a quick clean and fettle so I will trial test the name and see how she responds

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #469 on: May 06, 2014, 05:36:17 am »
Andy!

I didn't want to seem presumptuous and confer a name if she already had one, but it seemed a Good Idea™ to call her *some*thing specific. I sure don't mind calling her by her given name; we might get on even better for it!  :D
I have on my list today to give her a quick clean and fettle so I will trial test the name and see how she responds
Many, many thanks, Andy.

So looking forward to all ahead...

All the best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #470 on: May 06, 2014, 03:20:36 pm »
Dan, I was surprised to find that you didn't have a name for your Nomad yet.  When I built my Nomad last year, I must have read this thread a dozen times, to get good ideas for my bike.  (By the way, thanks for all the info.  I'm hoping to post photos of my bike in the next few days.  You'll see your influence on my bike.)  I knew that you named your bikes, and it never occurred to me that you hadn't named Seymour yet.

Near where I live (Vancouver), one of the local mountains is Mt Seymour.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Seymour)  There are ski runs near the top, and so there is a road up the mountain.  If you are ever in Vancouver with your bike, and feel like exercise, it's a good climb, although I admit that I have never done it.  It climbs 1000m (3000 ft) over about 13km (8 miles) -- about an 8% average.

- Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #471 on: May 06, 2014, 05:53:42 pm »
Hi Dave!

So looking forward to seeing photos of your own Nomad in the gallery. Isn't it amazing how the same basic frame can be built-up in so many different ways, each resulting in a bike personalized to the owner's needs and desires?

Mount Seymour...and just 681km/423mi north of me -- how tempting! I like climbing, so this sounds like the perfect Someday challenge to See More!  :D

All the best and happy riding, Dave.

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #472 on: March 05, 2015, 11:04:23 pm »
Hi All!

Lovely weather here today, so I decided to perform a little upgrade on the Nomad out in the sunshine on the back patio. Today's addition is a pair of RaceFace Crank Boots: http://www.raceface.com/components/parts/crank-boot/crank-boots/ These come in two sizes, small and large. These are the large. The small would not fit over the ends enough for the pedal openings to line up.

These protect the ends of the crank arms from rock and log strikes when pedaling off-road an on very rough roads, so a good precaution where I often take the Nomad. Far better to be proactive than reactive in this case, so on they went. They are a Class B fit on my Deore crankarms, but came out alright with the slightest persuasion from a heat gun to soften the boot just enough to center. The silver ring you see in the pedal socket is a thin stainless steel Wheels Mfg. pedal washer, standard equipment on all my bikes to prevent gouging of the arm around the socket face. The silvery goo on the threads is anti-seize compound, also standard procedure.

Happy days!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:28:10 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #473 on: March 05, 2015, 11:39:54 pm »
Hi All!

Much as I love my stealthy Nomad, there's times when I do want to stand out a little more -- when riding at night in heavy commuter traffic, for example.

For those occasions, I strap a Jog-A-Lite Reflexite safety triangle to my black rack pack and wear another 'round my waist if it isn't fastened 'round my handlebar bag to be seen from the front. I've used safety triangles (modeled after the US Slow Moving Vehicle symbol or an inverted Yield sign) since 1977, but upgraded last Spring to the Reflexite tape models. What a difference! Like night and ehm, day!  Cheesy The new ones really do show up much, much better than past versions. See: http://www.amazon.com/Bud-8512A-Jogalite-Reflective-Symbol/dp/B0006IW554 ...and... http://jogalite.com/

Best,

Dan.

nztony

« Reply #474 on: March 06, 2015, 12:34:08 am »
Dan

I love your Jog-A-Lite Reflexite safety triangle very much. I'm a Hi Viz convert and I do anything I can to stand out on my daily rides and I'm off to Amazon very shortly to buy one of these for my Nomad.

I have just purchased a super bright rear light to use during the day as I ride along a busy stretch of road frequently in and out of our capital city (Wellington) here in New Zealand. Hope District 3 Rear Light: http://www.hopetech.com/product/district-plus-rear/

It is summer here but we are having a heavy rain day today, so I am out the door in the next few minutes (it is pouring down but it is warm) to give my new light its maiden ride.

Tony

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #475 on: March 06, 2015, 01:58:34 am »
Hi Tony!

I think that's a terrific light for daytime conspicuity. While I generally prefer something with more surface area at night so car drivers can better judge their distance from me, I think point-source illumination may have it all for daytime visibility. Against bright sunlight, point-source cuts through where more diffuse options just fade away. It can be surprisingly difficult to get a good taillight bright enough for daytime/cloudy/rainy day use, but I think you've found one, Tony.

My home in Eugene, Oregon is at the southern end of the Willamette Valley, so trips "out" are over very tall hills and then mountains on three sides (E, W, S) and the Valley opens up wide and flat going North. There's great cycling in almost any direction. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to pass through very heavy commute traffic. I also have get past four freeway on- and off-ramps and two of the area's most dangerous intersections if I go North.

When I pull up beside drivers at traffic lights I'm always surprised at how much they're doing *besides* driving -- watching television on their sun visor monitors, buying things on eBay or texting on their phones, reading the newspaper or books, applying makeup, shaving, and so forth. I feel I have to really stand out to be seen at all.

For those occasions, I want to show up as much as possible in these areas, daytime, dusk, or dark. This means *lots* of high-viz neon yellow in daytime and loads of reflective stuff at night and lights galore. Drivers here seem to recognize high-viz yellow-green = Daytime Cyclist and blinking lights = Nighttime Cyclist. I've outfitted the blue rando bike and the Nomad with Planet Bike 2-watt Blaze2 white blinkys (I think of them as light cannons) and the Cyos. The rear of each bike has a Toplight Line Plus and at least one PDW Radbot 1000 1-watt LED blinky. The rando bike has two plus the Topight Line Plus. I supplement these with as many as two more Blackburn Mars 4.0 red blinkys. I've got the 3M spoke reflectors and pedal reflectors as well as the reflective spots and trim on my clothing and shoes. In cold weather I wear a Sugoi high-viz helmet cover and I think that helps as my head is above most car roofs and inline with most drivers in pickup trucks and SUVs.

When I got the bike, I pondered the beautiful yellow, as you have. After a lot of thought, I decided to go with black as I had on Sherpa. I figured the surface area of the frame was a fraction that of my clothing, so decided I would adjust my visibility using a combination of clothing, lights, and reflectors.

While I love desert camping, I do have to use care when camping well off-road, as a favorite nighttime pursuit of "desert runners" in trucks is to head out cross-country at breakneck speed, sometimes chasing jackrabbits and coyotes. I'm hoping on those occasions, my reflectors will help me be seen before I get flattened. For stealth camping near roads, the Nomad's matte black is ideal for keeping me hidden if I use care to hide the reflectors or park the bike off-axis to passing car headlights.

By the way, the "real" Refexite is sure a lot more reflective than similar appearing products. Take a look at the photos below for a quick comparison of seemingly identical safety triangles.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:52:51 am by Danneaux »

mickeg

« Reply #476 on: March 06, 2015, 01:15:52 pm »
I do not use pedal reflectors, but wanted something reflective down there that goes up and down as I pedal. Being in a place where people drive on the right side of the road, cars will be to my left and behind.  I put red reflective tape on my left side crank arms on most of my bikes.

in4

« Reply #477 on: March 06, 2015, 03:44:05 pm »
Never mind all that enjoying yourself and 'pimping my Nomad' stuff, get that grass cut!!!!!  :D

I do like those crank boots though. Great idea and simplicity itself.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #478 on: March 06, 2015, 04:26:52 pm »
Never mind all that enjoying yourself and 'pimping my Nomad' stuff, get that grass cut!!!!!
Waitaminnit...there's grass in the backyard?!?  ???  B-bu-but Ian!  :o  There's a bike on the patio!  ;D

...and so we come to the root of the problem...  ::)

:D

All the best,

Dan. (...who is going out now to start mowing)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #479 on: April 09, 2015, 02:15:18 am »
Hi All!

I just upgraded my Rohloff shifter cover to the newer "wave" design that came out last year.

What a positive difference! I had hoped it might result in less slippery shifting in the pouring rain, but I had not imagined how much it would help when shifting in the dry. The knob movement is more positive and require less effort. I can dial through 9 or 10 gears in one twist, with the shifter mounted to my Thorn Accessory T-bar.

The new wave knob comes with a new o-ring as well, and this should be fitted during installation. Installation took me less than a minute for the entire swap -- just use a thin-bladed screwdriver to live out the steel retaining ring, then pull the old shifter directly off. Apply a dab of grease on the shifter sleeve, then slide on the new cover. It can only register one way, thanks to offset mounting pins. Simply replace the retaining ring and you're done. No need to mess with the cables or adjustment. A really cost-effective upgrade for my Nomad that has me feeling really pleased and happy.

I got my new cover form SJS Cycles, here: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rohloff-rubber-grip-for-twistshifter-light-wave-design-8190-prod33789/?geoc=us

Best,

Dan.