Author Topic: The Upstand: Kickstand/Click-Stand alternative for light bikes  (Read 15548 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
The Upstand: Kickstand/Click-Stand alternative for light bikes
« on: December 06, 2012, 05:04:02 pm »
Hi All!

Many of us who wish kick-stand like convenience without voiding our frame warranties use a Click-Stand ( http://www.click-stand.com/ ).

Now, there's an alternative if one wishes the same functionality for a lightweight bicycle: the Upstand ( http://upstandingbicycle.com/ )

Basically, it is a magnet-tipped carbon-fiber shaft that engages a tab held by the wheel q/r in the dropout slot. The tab remains attached, while the shock-corded two-piece, 6061-tipped carbon shaft can be removed, folded in two, and placed in a jersey pocket or inside/under the strap of an underseat bag.

A very clever idea, but the low bracing angle and lightweight materials limit its use to equally lightweight (i.e. "racing") bikes, rather than loaded tourers. Still, it has every advantage of a Click-Stand (and every disadvantage, for those who don't like them) for a racing-style bike (and perhaps a Fixie!), namely, a bring-along prop so your bike doesn't have to lay on the ground, but still can if you prefer.

The one thing missing from the idea would appear to be the brake bands that keep a Click-Standed bike from rolling, but I'm guessing this is not needed for level floors and such, given the shaft slips over the tab and is held magnetically, preventing it from slipping out and under on its own in most circumstances.

Might be well worth a try if you have a lightweight bike in need of a prop.

Best,

Dan. (...who is taking a stand on such matters)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:09:47 pm by Danneaux »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
Re: The Upstand: Kickstand/Click-Stand alternative for light bikes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 07:06:01 pm »
Dan - I agree ... perfect for a racing machine or lighter commuter. I am still with you on the unsuitability for a touring bike especially loaded, but an interesting development. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Still love my Click-Stand and the mounting bracket on the Raven Tour! May seriously consider the Unstandingbicycle for my road bike though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:10:35 pm by StuntPilot »

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:14:13 pm »
I have tried various stands that work on the principle of a rear side stand and not found any that are truely successful with a loaded bike. I have had a whisper that my son has ordered a Click-Stand for my Christmas pressie.
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 07:53:28 pm »
I have had a whisper that my son has ordered a Click-Stand for my Christmas pressie.
"Shh!", Santa says, "Don't tell Alan, but I think he'll be very pleased when he tries it!"

And so do I; wouldn't be without mine. And, the option continues to always lean the bike against an object or glue it to the ground with gravity when conditions preclude use of the Click-Stand. The maker, Tom Nostrant, is one of the nicest people in the industry, and that is reflected in the product. When they arrive, the packaging alone says "Christmas pressie" anytime of the year; he does them right with good shipping boxes, bubble wrap stickered shut with a logo and detailed instructions included with the bands and whatever mounts/accessories one chooses.

Best,

Dan. (...those stands really "click" with me)

jags

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:31:40 pm »
i think  the postage to ireland on the click stand is twice the price of the actual stand.
so i wont be getting one  ::)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:34:03 pm »
i think  the postage to ireland on the click stand is twice the price of the actual stand.
so i wont be getting one
Or...we could look into the cost of me getting one with your money, and then remailing it to you. The actual stand is very light, and it could perhaps be repackaged in a padded envelope to save cost further over the quoted rates.

Something to consider, perhaps!

All the best,

Dan. (...who never minds saving on postage and shipping costs)

Andybg

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 06:50:22 pm »
Postage to the UK for mine was 10 dollars and that included the stand a couple of feet a holder for the bike and about 6 brake bands. All was well packaged and the shipment did not take that long. I dont see why it should be much more (if any) to Ireland.

Regards

Andy

jags

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:20:37 pm »
Or...we could look into the cost of me getting one with your money, and then remailing it to you. The actual stand is very light, and it could perhaps be repackaged in a padded envelope to save cost further over the quoted rates.

Something to consider, perhaps!

All the best,

Dan. (...who never minds saving on postage and shipping costs)

good stuff dan i'll talk to you about that later on cheers.

jags.

Gary (a.k.a. cake)

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »
I'm another click-stand user, Jags - have been for a few years.  One of the best accessories I own and wouldn't be without it!

jags

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 09:59:50 pm »
Calling Dan will you sus out that clickstand for me  how much from your place to mine.
thanks
anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 11:26:37 pm »
Hi jags!

In this case, I think you'd do best for lowest cost by having Tom Nostrant (owner/designer/builder of the Clickstand) mail one to you direct there in Ireland. Several of our UK Forum members have gone with direct shipments from him, and the cost has been very reasonable and should be similar for you to Ireland/EU. On further investigation, I now think local delivery to me and then reshipment to you would cost more.

Tom is a prince of a fellow, one of the nicest people you'll meet in the bicycle industry. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to give you a direct price quote. Do that, and then get back to me, but from my digging so far, I don't think I can beat his combined rates.

http://www.click-stand.com/

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks these things are fantastic for self-loading a touring bike in jig-time when no trees, fences, or walls are nearby)

John Saxby

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 11:46:32 pm »
Hi Jags n all,

Just checking in from a warm place -- on click-stands, there's a thread on the Click-Stand in the "reviews" section of Crazyguyonabike.com

In the posts, there's a description and fotos by a guy who made one from leftover tent poles & shockcord, plus a yoke-shaped bracket for the end which mates with the top tube.

Cheers,

J.

il padrone

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 02:15:31 am »
I have tried various stands that work on the principle of a rear side stand and not found any that are truely successful with a loaded bike.

Personally, with three bikes, I have never had too much problem with the Greenfield rear-stay mount stand, or the Pletscher Multi-zoom.  They have a wider stance than the cheapie steel stands and support a fully-loaded bike very nicely - even a loaded bike plus trailer.

On all sorts of road surfaces
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:22:30 am by il padrone »

energyman

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 03:09:57 pm »
Too fragile from the looks of it - Clickstands rule OK !

bobs

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 08:13:06 pm »
Jags,

It will cost 10$ to have the clickstand posted to you and you can pay by paypal  all very easy.

Bob