Author Topic: My XTC with my boyfriend's Pake  (Read 1746 times)

JWestland

My XTC with my boyfriend's Pake
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:19:20 pm »
Hope picture is working OK! :)

Pake steel singlespeed and fixed (the real deal ;) owned by my boyfriend.

My Thorn XTC tourer with 52/42/32 at the front and 11-34 at the back.

Confusion today caused by the Thorn, it looks like a road bike but with 26 inch wheels, and very long in the frame, hence some very confused fellow cyclists. Tourers are rare over here, (here being Northern Ireland) mostly mountain bikes, some utility bikes, hipsters on fixies and students on old road bikes. Though I did spot a Thorn Raven, red with yellow transfers, ages ago at the main Belfast train station.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

Re: My XTC with my boyfriend's Pake
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »
class bike really is but i reckon you will need to change that crank way to  set big of gears .
btw i'm only up the road from you well kinda (Drogheda) and i have a good friend in newry who by the way is touring ireland the whole way come late  May i'll be meeting him in mizen head..
if you want to come you would be more that welcome .
if inteested pm me and i'll give you the full  spec.
cheers
jags

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:32:37 pm »
Oh Jawine, that is a lovely picture and the bikes look wonderful together! A fine pair, indeed! Love how the xTc looks now you've got it and added your own touches. Much better without the reflective tape.
Confusion today caused by the Thorn
More fun to keep 'em guessing!
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting
If the hills don't permit, you could always lower the gearing with 42/32/24 if need be, and get a very nice, very low, low gear. Best ride it first; unless heavily laden in hill country, you might not need it.

Thanks for sharing; looking forward to many more photos of this "class" ride! Compliments to your boyfriend on a really nice bike as well.

[EDIT: Just went back for another, closer look. Either you've discovered anti-gravity, or the bikes are leaned against each other at the handlebars and then the window? In any case, nicely posed!]

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:40:40 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:20 am »
What, your bike doesn't have anti-gravity? Tsk...

Careful leaning parking did the job with reflection in windows giving it this floating look.

It's not overly hilly here in NI bar some small very steep hills it's usually gradual.

I nearly always cycle on the 52, aside from longer or very steep hills. This is I think because I'm used to heavy and awkward utility bikes and cycling a heavy Raleigh with a child seat in full wind. Good training for the legs, as you are forced to pedal with a lot of force no matter what.

Will pass on the compliments tx :)

I might pimp the XTC a bit with blue handlebar tape and new hood covers/bar end caps, these are looking very tatty by now. And it needs narrower bars anyway, 42 is a little too wide. The 105 shifters are quite scratched it's had a couple of good falls but they still work and I am not made of money ;)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)