Author Topic: Knots in leg muscles  (Read 2470 times)

ourclarioncall

Knots in leg muscles
« on: March 28, 2023, 01:21:38 pm »
Anyone experienced (what I think is) muscle knots in their legs ?

I just became aware of what feels like a couple of firm fatty tender areas just above my left knee, on the left side . Sorry that’s the best way I can describe it

Visually you maybe wouldn’t be able to see much but you can definitely feel it

Many years ago I hurt the same knee doing bodyweight squats . And pain or just stiffness comes and goes

I would describe it as a subtle tightness or stiffness that is above the kneecap

From what I’ve read knee pain can be very complicated and related to hips or ankles (stuff other than the knee itself )

My theory is that the whole leg needs to be worked through full range of motion to balance all the muscles and kept things working smoothly .

I bought the knees over toes book a while back and did a few of the exercises, one of the main ones bring walking backwards which the Chinese have been doing a long time apparently

I need to get back to doing these exercises again

Bit of a tangent there

Anyway , assuming it is just muscle knots (that might have been there or building up over many years ??) I tried a YouTube video that was basically using the body of a butter knife with a lubricant (I used coconut butter/oil from asda) to massage the area back and forth and work on the tender painful spots . Can’t say it really did much but might need quite a few repeat attempts to get things to release

Anyone experienced anything similar ?

I can’t believe I’ve just noticed this as it’s quite possibly been there a long time . Maybe the bike ride yesterday amplified it a little bit

steve216c

Re: Knots in leg muscles
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 06:18:18 pm »
They are probably nothing but might be something.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/what-to-know-muscle-knots

https://www.healthline.com/health/hard-lump-under-skin

Don’t overestimate your own powers of diagnosis. Men often ignore and hope it goes away. I’m speaking from experience having had thrombosis, a stroke and now dealing with cancer. I’m only 53 and thankfully have a nagging wife who made me seek out professional medical advice.

Doctor Google is a poor substitute to a real doctor. If the doc laughs at you because it is nothing, it is better than him/her asking why you didn’t come weeks/months before because it is now serious.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:20:50 pm by steve216c »
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 07:11:54 pm »
seek out professional medical advice

+1 for Steve's recommendation.  Depending on your MD's assessment, you may also want to contact a massage therapist or a physio.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 07:22:04 pm »
Thanks mate , good info

I had a blood clot last year. Well … I’ve still got it . After a long dose of medication the doc said it will just sort itself out but seems to take the body a long time to chip away it if . Fortunately it wasn’t in a deep vein.

Sorry to hear about the cancer , how’s things going with that ?

ourclarioncall

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 07:24:54 pm »
seek out professional medical advice

+1 for Steve's recommendation.  Depending on your MD's assessment, you may also want to contact a massage therapist or a physio.

Yeah I was thinking a physio would be a good option if my butter knife and coconut oil doesn’t seem to do anything. But as you say a doctor would probably be the most sensible port of call but I don’t know about where you live but it’s not easy or fast getting a doctors appointment now . Covid seems to have changed everything