Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

New Oil Change Info ???

(1/4) > >>

Thomas777:
I was looking  at the Rohloff site and came across some information that the amount of oil used in an oil change  is now 50% less. Same amount of "cleaning "fluid.
Is anyone  aware  of this?

WorldTourer:
Here is a link to Rohloff’s news item. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. But if the oil volume is lower now, I’m sure some people are going to be even more frantic about precious oil sweating from the hub at the QR, even though Rohloff has said this is not a cause for concern.

Tiberius:

--- Quote from: Thomas777 on October 14, 2023, 07:45:51 pm ---I was looking  at the Rohloff site and came across some information that the amount of oil used in an oil change  is now 50% less. Same amount of "cleaning "fluid.
Is anyone  aware  of this?

--- End quote ---

Well I didn't know about it. Many thanks for letting us know.

PH:
That's interesting, I wonder why now? 
I can't work out exactly how many oil changes I've done, 40ish, I think I only did the first two with 25ml.  Though I've been double flushing, adding 25ml and removing 10.
The new Rohloff method leaves a higher percentage of cleaning oil to hub oil than the above, so it's interesting that Rohloff don't consider that important.  It's probably all overkill, periodically flushed and parts coated in new oil will be a good thing, but if you can keep moisture out and not let it run dry it's probably be fine for years.  OTOH an annual oil change is such a minor task, there's little reason not too.
I thought one of Rohloff's arguments for not using less oil, has been that it takes the hub noisier, with less oil to dampen the sound, I don't think I could ever tell the difference.

UKTony:
“SPEEDHUB Oil set article numbers will be amended to show this revised oil volume, as a change in the running series and as such, should start to be noticed in shops as of October 2023.”

One hopes that a commensurate price reduction will be noticed as well and this won’t become a case of shrinkflation!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version