Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Rohloff Splined Sprocket wear

(1/4) > >>

Joe C:
Howdy,

Just been doing and annual oil change on mine and a freinds Rohloffs, we are both running the splined setups, and on my freinds one we noticed quite a but of play as per the attached, has anyone else seen this?

I popped the clip off and pulled the sprocket for investigation, the splined carrier looks ok (it looks like this is hardened steel so should be fine) the internal faces of the sprocket showed a little wear but not lots, obviously enough to cause movement though. the front and back faces of the sprocket aso showed wear (sorry for got to get a picture!) where there had been movment against the carrier and clip, with most wear on the rear face.
I cleaned everything up and put it back reversedand it seems to have no movement now, which i presume is due to che clip holding the sprocket more tightly due to the fresh metal against the carrier.

As the splines are "triangular" Im thinking that once there is a rotational load it might self centralize, so this movment may not actually be to much of an issue, as long as the chain is not too tight.

Thoughts anybody??

buffet:
Did you ever bring up this issue to Rohloff? We have a similar story here at the local cycling forum, splined sprocket is having about 1mm of lateral play (see attached photo) although the teeth of the sprocket are only showing 30% of wear or so. The circlip was intalled correctly.

Any other reported issues for new splined sprockets getting themselves loose after certain period?

Joe C:
I didnt, I was going to see if the problem came back first.

Interestingly there has been some talk of this on the roloff facebook page today, and there is mention of the Gates splined carrier with the lock ring fitting the chain type sprockets, whic i didnt realize.

https://www.cyclemonkey.com/blog/tech-talk-installing-rohloffs-locking-splined-sprocket-carrier

that could be a decent solution as ive been using the miche splined setup on a fixed gear tt bike and its been great.

buffet:
Thanks for the heads up on the Rohloff page on FB, I didn't know there was one. The lockring-style carrier does look more failproof (since it's a common way to lock the cassette and/or centerlock disk rotors), however it makes you purchase an additional tool (8518)/ So Rohloff :)

martinf:
The splined carrier with lockring will fit the sprockets for chain drive, with the exception of the two smallest 13 and 14 tooth sizes.

A downside is that it isn't compatible with a Chainglider, unless Hebie develop a new version that is.

I wonder why Rohloff went for triangular splines. In my experience, rectangular splines as used by Shimano cassette sprockets don't seem to develop play. There again, Sturmey-Archer have been using just 3 rounded splines for many decades, these can sometimes develop play with very hard use but cost very little to replace. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version