Author Topic: strava anyone.  (Read 4563 times)

jags

strava anyone.
« on: September 18, 2015, 09:25:38 pm »
Lads anyone using Strava on your smart phone. if yes what should i be looking at.
all im getting is a load of wonderfull things i can do  but nothing to show how i go about how to record my ride. :o

cheers
anto.

in4

Re: strava anyone.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 09:36:27 pm »
Press feed and select record activity. Press the record button and away you go. Make sure gps is enabled on your phone or you'll not record any map data.

jags

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 09:53:52 pm »
all im getting is activity feed  when i press that all i get is what my friends are doing.
at the top it says dashboard when i press it it goes to activity feed or my segments my routes my goals, very feckin confusing.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 11:53:49 pm »
I find it confusing too. I use CycleMeter on my phone, which talks to Strava to update my rides. You can then share your rides from Strava, and dissect every little miserable detail of your pain. Ugh!

nztony

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 12:10:15 am »
Jags, I've been using a Garmin GPS on my Nomad since it was 800km old (the bike that is) and only discovered Strava a few months back. Luckily I could upload all my previous 18 months of rides from the Garmin web site to Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/8114407

I do all my riding by myself but Strava is quite social and I have a few followers now and those that I follow. It is funny, that my bike and I are getting a little bit known in Wellington, NZ because they are seeing my Strava rides. I recently stopped at the side of the road to ask some roadies if they needed a hand with anything and one of the guys introduced himself and shook my hand. "Do I know you I asked?" "I've seem you on Strava, and the photos of your big yellow bike!" I reckon that is cool! I actually refer to my bike on Strava as the Mighty Thorn Nomad.

Sammy, did you know you can do a "Heat Map" too, that super-imposes all your rides onto one map which is fascinating: https://goo.gl/sQHKt5 (you can zoom in and out of this.) I think the Heat Map is a Premium feature which I'm happy to pay at around €4 or €5 per month.

I take photos when I'm out and about that link to my Strava too: https://instagram.com/nztony62/ (If you look very carefully you'll see I've come to my senses and fitted mudguards - I should have done it ages ago!)

Tony
NZ

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 02:50:33 am »
I like the collective heat map for planning rides - to see what routes other folks use...

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6/-120.90000/38.36000/blue/bike

jags

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 02:06:22 pm »
very confusing lads but i think my phone is not working properly i  will get my stoker to take a good look at it  its his job after all IT .

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 06:39:49 pm »
I use Strava on my phone and love it, although I don't use all the functions. 

I love the way it keeps a record of the 'statistics' in 'profile' - that's miles in the current year and total mileage.  Could be either encouraging or depressing, depending on whether you're half full or half empty in your outlook?
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

jags

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 08:41:43 pm »
doug my phone is knackered i need a new one ,but yeah it's on the list.
i sometimes  do the route for my local cycling club leisure section ,they love new routes most of them are only cycling 5 maybe 7 years where  as yours truly knows every lane in county louth  (big area) .
so strave would come in handy when im not available .
anyway i'll have to come up with another plan.

jags.

in4

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 09:03:53 am »
A further plus for Strava here. My phone is out of the ark, relatively; Samsung S2 and Strava runs well on it apart from having to wait for the gps  to kick in. That might not have anything to do with my phone or Strava but my location and clouds etc.
I don't ride to the app as such but like to enjoy the surroundings as I whizz (!) by and look at the data after my ride. If you want to depress yourself thoroughly you can always compare your data to another local whizzy rider's who regularly covers sections of your rides in a fraction of the time that you do. I speak of some experience in this regard! That said I far prefer to ride alongside the River Dee as opposed to in it and to stop and shoot the breeze with canal boat owners etc. Coincidentally there was a canal boat named Nomad ( not too original then LOL) in the Chester canal basin last week. If I knew how to use my phone's camera whilst Strava is running a great photo including my Nomad bike was to be had. I'll go figure it out, along with how to share Strava on here.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:06:10 am by in4 »

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 11:00:21 am »
all im getting is activity feed  when i press that all i get is what my friends are doing.
at the top it says dashboard when i press it it goes to activity feed or my segments my routes my goals, very feckin confusing.

They only work in English  ;D ;D ;D
Try back to front in Ireland?

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 11:04:07 am »

They only work in English  ;D ;D ;D
Try back to front in Ireland?

Back to front is Israel and Japan. Upside down is Australia and New Zealand.

Ireland is especially difficult, because it Celtic is a helical language.

jags

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 11:09:48 am »
Here Andre do you think John would know anything about celtic he doesnt even know where Ireland is for  god sake . ;D ;D

leftpoole

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 09:03:27 am »
Here Andre do you think John would know anything about celtic he doesnt even know where Ireland is for  god sake . ;D ;D

You are a wag Anto!
I know Celtic and they are Scottish and wear green to play Football  8) 8) 8)

jags

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 04:19:28 pm »
yip i knew it not a clue where Ireland is  ;D ;D..