Community > Thorn General

Sherpa or Raven Adventure Tour???

(1/2) > >>

Jitensha:
Hi everyone,

So myself and my partner are trying to decide between these two bikes and we need some opinions. We'd really like to hear from any Sherpa owners out there. We've read a lot about bikes like the Nomad, xTc etc. and how excellent they are, but we can't find anything about the Sherpa anywhere. Also how good is the Raven? After speaking and exchanging one or two emails with Robin we have no doube that both bikes are good. We've just got to decide if the Raven and therefore the rholoff hub are worth the extra \\\.

We cycle mainly on dry off road tracks and lots of hilly roads in between. Also wefre going to do some 2-3 week camping tours. Wefll have to bag the bikes regularly to carry them on trains, so we need pretty light bikes. Wefre looking for bikes that will carry pretty heavy camping kit for those 2-3 week tours and even heavier luggage for a longer (up to 6-month) tour we hope to do in the future.

If anybody out there has experience using either of these bikes we'd love to hear from you

all the best

hoogie:
If you can afford it, defintiely go for the Raven!

luceberg:
If you're familiar with deraileur gears, have learned to service them, and don't mind tinkering, the rholoff seems less attractive, though I'm sure I'd like one if it was thrust upon me!

The Sherpa is pretty much the same as a year2000 531st framed Nomad. One significant difference is the frame sizes available. I would have bought a Sherpa frame recently if one had been available in my size but got a better fit with a Nomad so had to fork out the extra cash..groan!!

Jitensha:
yeah it's basically down to whether we want the Rholoff or not. We've never really had problems with deraileurs but cleaning them etc. is a pain. Also a major turn off with deraileurs is the tendency to keep adding more cassetts. I'm sure the next thing will be 4 chainrings with a 10 or 11 sprocket cassette, just wait! Anyway going to think about it some more and then make a decision. If anybody else has any experience with either of these bikes we'd love to hear about it. Thanks in advance

marcg:
The Raven.

maintenance free.  Use a full chaincase and even the chain and sprockets become maintenance free and everything including the rider stays clean.  Smooth gear changes up and down except for the famous 7/8 glitch where you have to lay off the power for a moment.
Only criticsm is that the embossed nuumbers on the changer aren't highlighted.

It seems that even the British police are starting to use them.  That's good enough for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version