Author Topic: CTC anyone? Genuine experience!  (Read 2429 times)

leftpoole

CTC anyone? Genuine experience!
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:14:14 am »
Hello,
I was in a bike shop (!) last week in Dorset (where I live) and was chatting (like one does) about bikes!
The conversation was 'enjoyed' by the shop owner (decent size shop) and myself plus two other 'Cyclists'. At some point I mentioned CTC. Not one person including shop owner had any idea what CTC was!
I am of the view that although I am a long standing (25 years approx) that CTC is a non relevant organization that has no or very limited power in the World we all live in. The Membership in my opinion these days is purely a voluntary gesture.
Regards,
John

honesty

Re: CTC anyone? Genuine experience!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 11:53:48 am »
I was not aware of the organisation until I started researching a new bike a few years ago when I was getting back into cycling. the requirements of a daily commuter as well as a pleasure bike lead me to tourers and sport tourers, which led me to the CTC forum. I found that really useful, and am a member of the forum. I haven't joined the org though, I get third party cover through my household, my wife is a personal injury lawyer, and whilst I want the magazine the cost doesn't justify it. My main reason though is that as with a few other charities I've been involved in (the NDCS being the primary) the scope of the charity has moved from providing benefits to lobbying government. I'd prefer they provide benefit...

DAntrim

Re: CTC anyone? Genuine experience!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:37:01 pm »
The CTC came to my attention when I was looking for 3rd party insurance (the majority of my cycling is commuting / touring), but I must agree, prior to this I had no knowledge of them.
However for the cost of membership, I receive a decent insurance and if this helps to promote a safer cycling environment and a local club for people to meet and ride with similar individuals then, I think it is well worth the membership fee. I feel that on a national level the CTC provides a focus point for lobbying government and provides a voice which would not otherwise be heard, the magazine and the occasional discounts are an added bonus