Author Topic: Catskills Nomad  (Read 110115 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Catskills Nomad
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2012, 12:42:39 am »
Oh! Wonderful, Jim! I'm so glad you were able to go farther afield!

You crossed the Hudson not once but twice, and had some real uppy-downy roads in the process (and some pretty good cumulative elevation gain).

Nah, Nomads ain't skeert of "Road Closed" signs! Did you lift him over and go on through?

I see the front tire is a little lower than it "ought" to be. Hoping it is just obscured by the vegetation on the road and not flat.

Good photo, a nice summary, and I enjoyed the link to your map. How did you get past the Dewey/NY State Thruway? Was there a tunnel or viaduct beneath? Oh, I see (enlarged map), there was an underpass on both crossings. I'll bet the apple orchards were nice! Are the trees all in blossom?

Thanks for sharing your ride with us, Jim.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2012, 12:44:43 am »
nice one jim you got great weather for your trip
any more pics.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2012, 01:06:41 am »
Here is the east end of the Rip Van Winkle bridge:

My first time across by bike. I'd seen when crossing by car that there is a sidewalk, and I expected that I'd be riding my bike on that. Nope. No bike on sidewalk, bikes go on the roadway. A bit scary to start - a busy road and not so wide, but actually wide enough. There was a maintenance crew in the middle that I had to ride around but fortunately there was no other westbound traffic right then.

Did you lift him over and go on through?

Luckily, it was easy to get around the side of the gate. The Nomad is not a light bike! Though when I take off all the luggage it gets a lot lighter! The Kryptonite New York U-Lock, three water bottles, etc etc!

I see the front tire is a little lower than it "ought" to be. Hoping it is just obscured by the vegetation on the road and not flat.

Actually the front wheel was sitting in a puddle! The minimum potential energy!

How did you get past the Dewey/NY State Thruway? Was there a tunnel or viaduct beneath? Oh, I see (enlarged map), there was an underpass on both crossings.

Actually both times I crossed over the Thruway. On the route I had planned, I would have gone underneath the second time, under a bridge that takes the Thruway high up over a road and a river. But I got confused.... a three-way intersection where all three roads are Cauterskill Rd! When I went over the Thruway instead of under, that's when I knew I made a mistake! The fun thing though was that my recovery route substituted a category 5 hill for the category 4 hill on my planned route! And I only added about three miles.

Are the trees all in blossom?

No, at this point the apples look about an inch and a half in diameter. Maybe you can make them out in this blow-up:

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2012, 01:14:05 am »
Here is just a bit of Hudson Valley countryside:

jags

« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2012, 01:17:09 am »
nice so different from my place.keep em coming jim. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2012, 01:56:40 am »
Oh, these are just lovely, Jim! Thanks so much for answering my questions and for adding the additional photos. Fearless Nomad, indeed! He is a brave little soul to try that bridge (and you, of course, for coming along). Yes, I can even see the little apples, and that country lane is just gorgeous -- right out of a picturebook.

All the best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2012, 09:25:29 pm »

The teenager and I were out for about 35 miles today: I think his longest ride ever. He was passing me on the hills even at the end of the ride! One strong kid!

I notices that my Brooks Flyer seemed to be sagging a bit so before our ride I snugged it up about a quarter turn. Tricky because on my first attempt I noticed the bolt was turning, so really how much did I tighten it is rather unknown. Anyway it felt better on today's ride - I felt more like I was on the leather and not on the metal support at the back! I have about 4000 miles on the saddle. I haven't gone crazy with the Proofide but maybe three moderate applications in the year and a half since I got it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:39:34 pm by JimK »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2012, 10:11:41 pm »
Hi Jim!

Please, could you favor us with side, top, and oblique front-quarter views of your saddle? You've got me really curious as to how it looks.

Has your Brooks ever gotten wet?

On the face of it, I don't think your Proofide applications have been excessive. Having/had a half-dozen Brooks saddles, I have come to the conclusion I prefer them hard, and so limit my Proofide applications accordingly, as the treatment does encourage some stretch if applied to excess. I usually apply one one thin skim coat to the underside and that's pretty well it for the duration of ownership. The top gets a very thin coat, is allowed to sit 24 hours in either sunshine or a warm room, then polished off. I do similar reapplications about once every 18-24 months. I also always allow the saddle to dry thoroughly from my body moisture (sweat) and always, always, always cover it if there is even the slightest sprinkle of rain and I'm not atop it.

Most people don't care, don't do anything special, and do just fine, so take this as a data point.

Yes, the tensioning operations are hard. The bolt does turn to a degree, just as you've found, so the net amount of tensioning is hard to determine.

One caution I will add is to be aware that (eventually) tensioning brings diminishing returns. In time (the ripe fullness of time, as in years), tensioning will result in a ridge longitudinally through the center of the saddle. This has led Jobst Brandt to dub Brooks and similar leather saddles as um, "posterior hatchets", since one is riding on that ridge. At worst, it can feel like you're being cleaved asunder. Still, I see the occasional saddle with a really extreme case of center-ridge and the rider continues on happily.

And, too, these saddles are handmade of natural materials. I have found otherwise identical saddles can vary greatly over time in terms of how they shape to the rider and how much they stretch (the two are related), and how thick the leather happens to be. I used eBay to sell one that gave out early. I had warning -- the thing was past fully broken-in by the 200-mile mark, despite very sparing applications of Proofide. Unfortunately, this was the saddle I was using to tour Europe, and I persisted with it to the end, resulting in a visit to the proctologist to determine if the bleeding I had was due to the saddle or health-related factors. It was the saddle that caused my abrasions. I received a nice note from the eBay buyer praising me for selling him the most comfortable saddle he'd ever owned, so it just goes to show saddles vary as much as individuals.

On the other hand, I have a lovely honey-colored, chrome-railed (meaning they *will* break eventually) B.17 Champion Special with exceptionally thick leather and chamfered sides that may not fully shape to me in my remaining lifetime. It is fortunate I prefer my Brooks saddles remain pretty firm.

If a saddle becomes truly misshapen and problematic, the cover can be fully detensioned and reshaped in water, plumping up the low spots and removing the center ridge. My neighbor had great luck doing so, and simply let the leather air-dry afterwards. I've drilled out the rivets and re-riveted a number of saddles; the cover is removed and replaced pretty easily. but one does have to follow a sequence of steps or get caught out with a cover too-taut to replace. These are not exactly Brooks-approved operations, but at a certain point, it really doesn't matter if the saddle is otherwise unusable. I re-riveted mine 'cos I like the appearance of the hand-hammered copper rivets better on some than the original plated steel versions.

The bike surely looks nice, Jim.

Best,

Dan.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2012, 12:04:27 am »
Hi Dan that is a good write up about Brooks.

I love most of my brooks, But have find some have a ridge longitudinally through the center of the saddle this has made me bleed to (a little) on my tour in North Africa this year too.
But I have find for me that if I tension up the saddle from time to time it stop's it getting to bad, i'm working out which is best for me..

Pete...

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:11:55 am by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

jags

« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2012, 12:50:31 am »
you know this thing about giving the nut on the brooks a half turn complete nonsence  i turned mine all the way until it straightened out i'm still riding it and it  hasn't exploded as yet  ;)

il padrone

« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2012, 06:19:22 am »
Oh, these are just lovely, Jim! Thanks so much for answering my questions and for adding the additional photos. Fearless Nomad, indeed! He is a brave little soul to try that bridge (and you, of course, for coming along). Yes, I can even see the little apples, and that country lane is just gorgeous -- right out of a picturebook.
Hey, come on down to Victoria, Australia. We have many lovely country lanes just like that one.

And for a scary bridge - this

McKillops Bridge, East Gippsland

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2012, 02:43:26 pm »
i turned mine all the way until it straightened out i'm still riding it and it  hasn't exploded as yet

Thanks for that encouragement... I may just crank mine a bit tighter because it does still seem to need it.

I wouldn't say the saddle has ever gotten wet but oddly enough as I had it out for photos there were some sprinkles. Oh I have certainly ridden it through some utter deluges but I figure I am sitting on the saddle so that should keep water mostly away. I have a cover for when I park it in the rain but haven't been using the cover when riding.

Some photos:

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2012, 05:55:34 pm »
Hi Jim!

Oh, the new photos really help. Looking at them, I'd say (for whatever it is worth) that things are progressing nicely insofar as break-in goes, but you're developing a bit of "flange-drop" -- that caving-in of sorts, just ahead of the steel rear flange. It will make the rear flange feel more prominent and can become uncomfortable for some folks, who then retension the saddle to address the problem.

Starting in 2010, Grant Petersen of Rivendell began suggesting customers consider stuffing a section of dense foam beneath this portion of the saddle, rather than tensioning.  If you look at the link here: http://epicureancyclist.com/?p=965 you'll see a photo of what I am describing.

I don't think it is as effective overall as tensioning, but I can see the point, since it does not affect or create a central ridge to deal with. It would be difficult to keep the foam in place, especially with a sprung saddle.

I've found living in a climate with extremely high humidity (as when I lived briefly in Mississippi) or a rider who sweats a great deal (related to the climate as well!) can really affect the shaping of Brooks saddles and can lead to the need for tensioning quite apart from Proofide use or the individual stock or cut of leather used. Leather was a living substance, and has little pores and fibers and such, and Brooks saddles are shaped when wet, after all, so there is something correlating the whole idea of riding a moist saddle and its ultimate shape. That's why I asked about it getting rain-wet. I've attached a photo of my Dutch pal's Brooks after his Rotterdam-Santiago round trip for comparison. He lives in coastal NL, where it is humid, he sweats a lot when riding, and the saddle has sometimes gotten wet or been ridden while very damp. It has flange-drop, nose-drop, and a bit of a ridge, but there's never been a more comfortable saddle for him than this one, so it isn't always a problem. In fact, it is the ideal for some. Others, like me, prefer a near-factory configuration and like to keep the top pretty firm with a little convex rounding. It is all a matter of taste and comfort!

Your saddle is surely developing a lovely patina, Jim, and looks magnificent!

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:29:22 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2012, 07:16:11 pm »
Jim,

Out of curiosity and on a slightly different topic than saddles, are you doing anything to the bike in anticipation of your upcoming Erie Tour?

Unlike your usual daily rides, this tour will see some consistently higher daily miles.

Maybe a Rohloff oil change? A chain cleaning? Any cable replacements? The bike already looks in fine fettle, so I would suppose it is ready-to-roll as-is!

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2012, 07:35:09 pm »
are you doing anything to the bike in anticipation of your upcoming Erie Tour?

Definitely a timely question! In a week we'll be on the road! But I don't have any real plan to tweak anything. The only detail that's on my mind is the chain. At the very least I will surely check the chain slack. I can imagine putting on a new chain. There's a KMC Z610HX on the bike now and I have a fresh chain waiting on my desk. But really 400 miles is not much of a distance and the current chain doesn't have so many miles on it. I should bring a bottle of lube... hmmm. I've  been following the chain lube discussions! I'll pick something & just take my chances!

I need to think about the teenagers bike too. But I've been tweaking that steadily so it should be ready to go too!