Author Topic: How have you tall ones found a suitable bike?  (Read 1866 times)

pelago

How have you tall ones found a suitable bike?
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:05:44 am »
I am 198 cm and live in Finland.

I wanted to have a Rohloff but had difficulties to find a tall enough so I ended having
http://pelagobicycles.com/stvanger365.html?___store=en&___from_store=default  customized. I surfed quite a lot the web before I ended to have this. I did not succeed to attach a photo of my bike.

Btw I have an other Pelago also, it is with Nexus 3.  http://pelagobicycles.com/stpiter.html  It has roll brakes in both ends.

I live in two cities and commute mostly. During the summer I ride  longer trips with a Bob Yak behind the Stavanger. Next summer hopefully in Estland.

Ps there is now -12° C  and R is a bit stiff.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:38:15 am by pelago »

macspud

Re: How have you tall ones found a suitable bike?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:37:42 am »
Hello Pelago, I have the same issue being 196cm tall. The Thorn Raven Nomad Mk2 620L would fit you, I don't own one yet but I'm saving for one. You can download a brochure here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/models.html

pelago

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 05:17:35 am »
Thanks for the answer. I found that when I surfed here for about two three years ago. Now I donīt remember why I didnīt go further on with it. I remember that I mailed to Thorn of the topic.  The one I now have was not in production then. The vintage look of my Pelago is more safe than Nomads mtb look. Yet I use very heavy locks.

I have a similar bike with oversize look, an old (-94) Nishiki mtb that Iīve modified, with derailleur. The Nishikis frame is of same size as Nomad and the steerer is even more high without spacers so it looks very odd.

JWestland

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:03:14 pm »
Go Dutch if you have too, some of the Dutch brands go up to BIG sizes.

Koga does touring bikes. Though not sure if they do super size ones. Or go Thorn some of their models are very tall as MacSpud points out :)

There are also unpainted XTC frames left, one is a 595L with a 610 virtual top tube. That may work once painted up? Dave Wittle from Thorn workshop has a list.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

pelago

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:21:12 pm »
The topic is over for me. When I looked for one I discussed most with Rivendell in USA. They make really tall bikes. But it would have been very expensive to get one here.

I have now a bike with Rohloff, the frame is of CroMo. I count to bike with it so long I am still able to bike.

I am just curious. Here I saw once a bike that was customized for a guy at 218 cm. I suppose he is also heavy.