Author Topic: RST refurb  (Read 7870 times)

Hoodatder

RST refurb
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:41:40 am »
Hi,

Before and after.

Spot the difference.

Ian

alfie1952

Re: RST refurb
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:25:08 pm »
Hi Hoodatder,

A good bike to start with but what a transformation and a lovely looking machine you now have there.

Regards Alfie
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:28:56 pm by alfie1952 »

Hoodatder

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 01:13:36 pm »
Hi Alf,
Thanks for the comp - appreciated. I got a lot of enjoyment out of this refurb - not just the practical side but the "research" and reading of peoples opinions and reviews. I previously owned a Thorn Raven Adventure Tour and stupidly sold it last year. I bought it brand new in Jan 2005 to a high spec and didn't have a hap'orth of trouble with it - absolutely none - not even a puncture!! I instantly regretted selling it but thought it was time for a change. I had ridden from Seattle to Minneapolis in 2012 on a Giant and was well impressed with it. I thought the Spa Ti Audax would fit the bill for riding around here in the East Yorkshire Wolds and NY Moors. It's just not the same style of relaxed riding as on the Raven. Truly, you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

So, I went to SJC to get measured for another a new toy and also for a looksee at what was on offer. When I recovered from the price for my spec I thought I will find myself a little project and found this bike on this forum. To be fair, it was a bit of a dog, but I was more than happy with it for the price I paid :D

A month later and the Ugly Duckling is a Swan with all the bells and whistles.

Ian

Neil Jones

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 03:13:41 pm »
Wow, you've done a fantastic job of the refurb Ian, it looks great.
As you are somebody who's been in the fortunate position of owning both a Tour and a Sport Tour how do the two bikes compare? How do you find your RST handles loaded up? I have an RST and have debated whether to tour on it due to it's weight carrying limitations but if your photos are anything to go by you've not had any problems, what sort of weight have you carried?
Great so see another RST on the forum,
Neil.

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 03:24:34 pm »
Very nice work indeed, Ian -- looks like you have another fine bike there.

Hoodatder

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 04:05:26 pm »
Hi Neil
Thank you also for the comp. I found my original Tour a real workhorse and carried all that I wanted - approx 35 / 40 kg.
The first year I cycled from Valence in the Rhone Valley to Finistere in NW Spain. It handled my luggage with not a murmur. It had Mavic ceramic rims on Pasela TG 1.75" and also twin crown forks. It had a 38t chainwheel and a 16t sprocket. It certainly was not a flying machine, but paradoxically, it came into it's own when loaded and just seemed to bowl / purr along. I had never heard anyone else pass that comment until I read it here (somewhere) on this forum. As regards ths Sport Tour, it is without a shadow of doubt a different machine. I am the same engine, but this thing wants to go. I filled two rear panniers the other week and went into the Moors. There were 2 x 25% hills to climb and it was a doddle (ok, so I'm telling a teeny weeny porky) - certainly easier than with the Tour. The Sport has a 40t chainwheel and a 17t sprocket - which I understand is the same as 38 x 16. The rims are Andra Rigida CSS with Pasela TG1.5" - so basically the same set up as before. This bike again performs magically with weight on and I believe feels better for it - how does that work then?
People would pass me on my Tour as I tootled along (unloaded) and I would struggle to keep up. It's a different situation with this Sport - seriously, it's altogether a different animal.

Ian

Hoodatder

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 04:15:22 pm »
Also- I have to say that I didn't think I would ever be so passionate about these bikes, but until you've speccd and owned one, then foolishly sold it and bought a different brand, you then realise what thought has gone into the Rohloff gears and most importantly the bike design. Hats off to those bike designers.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm content with my Spa Audax, it will do everything the review said, But it don't put a smile on my face like the Thorns - no sirree, no way Jose. And when I'm smiling, it makes the missus happy and when she's happy I can go cycling for as long as I like.
The Eurovelo 6 beckons.

Ian

jags

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 04:58:25 pm »
You done a cracking job on that bike blue and white  really stands out CLASS.

jags.

Hoodatder

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 06:32:14 pm »
Thanks for that Jags.

Could anyone advise me on a mirror with that set up please?

The Bike Eye is no good with panniers and I can't fit a B&M in at the bar ends.

Cheers

Ian

Donerol

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 11:41:09 pm »
You might be able to fit a Zefal Spy mirror somewhere, maybe even to the bar ends??

In what way was the bike 'a bit of a dog' when you got it? Just curious - you have turned it into a beautiful machine.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 12:13:23 am »
My! What a stunning makeover! Very nice to see the bike kitted out for a tour as well.

Best wishes for many an adventure ahead.

Best,

Dan.

Hoodatder

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 10:52:41 am »
Thanks Dan and for your help on previous queries.
Thanks Don for the Zefal Spy - I think that will do the trick.

As regards 'a bit of a dog', the paintwork was marked to buggery, the cranks were well scratched, the bar ends were chewed up - there was no saddle, pedals or mudguards - how on earth can people look after their possessions like that, eh?!
The chap who I bought it off put it up for sale immediately upon receiving it - that says it all I think.  :-[
I looked at it, knew that if I spent some wedge on it, I would have a tried and tested style of cycle. The hub gears work a dream and, ironically, I know I have a better bike than before, not because of the gizmo's, but because it fits better.

In essence, it's hard not to be enthusiastic about these machines. And the best part? The best part is the subtlety of having your bike parked amongst flashy carbon racers etc (no gripe from me - honest) and no one knowing or comprehending the design and engineering under that saddle. Sweet! ;)

Ian

Neil Jones

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 04:10:44 pm »
Thanks for your detailed response Ian, you sound very pleased with your RST. I use for commuting mainly and have racked up 9500 miles on it now, I plan on reversing the chainring and sprocket at 10,000. Hope to hear more of your pride and joy in future posts.
Neil.

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 05:12:12 pm »
Thanks for that Jags.

Could anyone advise me on a mirror with that set up please?

Zefal Spy Mirror works reasonably well. Takes a bit of getting used to but is the best solution for this handlebar set up.
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

Hoodatder

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 03:09:42 pm »
Hi Frog,
Thanks for the photo. I've spent some time studying it and wasn't convinced it was the right set up for me.

I've looked at Zefal and B&M and others and saw this Cateye. It's not handed and can turn through 360' and swivel through an elliptical arc - albeit not a great arc but suffice.

I hedged my bets on drilling through the bar ends and being able to use this mirror upside down - just like the B&M cyclestar for drops - and if it went pear shaped, I would buy a good quality bar end plug.

The arrangement works very well indeed. With my hands in the "normal" position, I can see about 3/4 of the mirror. With a very slight wrist movement, I can see all the mirror. With my hands up on the bar ends, there is absolutely no compromise.
The adjustment on the mirror is such that I have full rear observation, with or without panniers.

I concede that the quality of the mirror isn't that of B&M and perhaps Zefal, but I feel that I am getting a much better set up. From my short test, I didn't notice any real vibration of images in the mirror, it stayed put in the position I fitted it in, and, being on a ball joint, it's a doddle to fold out the way if you wish to lean the bike against a wall. The fixings of the mirror into the HB actually act as a "cushion" or protector for the Ergon bar ends.

I have attached some pix showing the set up. I will not be riding with 2 x mirrors, only merely showing the ease of transfer when I go abroad and have to change my mirror for the odd people who insist on driving on the wrong side of the road. It's a wonder there aren't more accidents over there!!

For £8.40 inc pp for 2 x mirrors, I thought it was worth the experiment. My get out of jail card was being able to fit 2 x bungs in the HB if all else fails. At this moment in time, I'm contented - not quite as contented as when the ex left - but, nevertheless, quite contented and happy.

Ian