Technical > General Technical

Brooks Braking in.

(1/3) > >>

Paul S:
Thanks to some anonymous git pinching my Flyer Special  >:( I have reverted to a Standard B17 which is proving remarkably reluctant to brake in with a combination of Mile upon Mile & Proofide.

Maybe I just have an unusually stubborn one but......

Have any of you guys used the 'Oil Soak' method's described in  Sheldon Browns article on Leather Saddles?

Paul.

julk:
Paul,
Have you put a good layer of proofide on the underneath side of the leather?
I found this helped my latest saddle break in nicely.
Julian.

6527richardm:
I have had several B17's and I have found them to be comfortable from the off.

Before using them I have coated both top and bottom with proof hide so it may be worth trying that.

As an aside I recently bought a Team Pro and they seems much harder and I think it will take sometime before I consider it to be comfortable but I will give it some time before writing it off.

Paul S:

--- Quote from: julk on July 08, 2012, 01:28:52 pm ---Have you put a good layer of proofide on the underneath side of the leather?

--- End quote ---

Thanks guys,  I did apply proofide straight out of the box and left it allone for the Saddle to absorb while riding. I have been applying small amounts of proofide to the upper surfaces roughly monthly.

I am now approaching 750 miles with a second application to the underside at 500 miles which is why S B's method of soaking from within with oil caught my eye.

I had a B17 before My Flyer S and I agree both were comfortable from the off. Both were also my rear ends best friend within 500 m :D

Paul.

Danneaux:
Hi Paul!

What a shame someone took your Flyer Special!

I'm sorry you're having trouble breaking in your B.17 -- being natural products (the leather portion, anyway), they do vary from sample to sample, and some are a bit thicker or tougher than their brethren.

My method with hard samples has been the same as Julian's -- more Proofide, and especially on the underside, where one's ischial tuberosities (sit-bones) rest.

That said, my lovely honey-colored B.17 Champion Special is unusually thick, and just is not breaking in at anywhere near the rate of my others. It is considerably thicker as well, and that has to be a factor. The additional Proofide on the underside has helped, but not to the degree I would have hoped. Fortunately, I  prefer a firm, slightly convex saddle, and I think this one will give me my wish for years to come!

My other B.17s were comfortable straight out of the box, with one example actually breaking in way too fast/far, and becoming unsuitable/uncomfortable for me at the 200-mile mark. I sold it on eBay and the buyer wrote and thanked me for selling him the most comfortable saddle he'd ever used! Saddles vary, and so do people.

As for the oil-soak method...I've never tried it, but have noticed the saddles so treated have darkened considerably, if that is a consideration (especially for the non-black models).

If you give it a try, will you let us know how you fare?

Best,

Dan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version