Author Topic: Which Thorn Rohloff model?  (Read 1565 times)

Bowland Rider

Which Thorn Rohloff model?
« on: August 14, 2010, 04:21:00 pm »
Hello, I am a newbie looking for feedback from Thorn Raven & Raven Sport Tour owners.   

I am planning to treat myself to the last bike i'll ever buy - a Thorn.  I plan to use the bike for commuting, leisure/exercise and cycle camping with a max load of 20kg.  Although im not planning a continental trip i might one day tackle the LEJOG.  The Rohloff appeals because of its low maintenance needs. 

The most frequent use for the bike will be general leisure cycling / commuting so id like to to be a quick bike, i dont want to be pedalling a tank around!  BUT id also like a bike strong enough for cycle camping on occasion. 

Which model would you recommend and why?

Thanks in anticipation.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:35:53 pm by Bowland Rider »

Paulson

• My Blog
Re: Which Thorn Rohloff model?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:18:45 pm »
Personally, because you have said 'a quick bike', I would recommend an RST.  As the name suggests, it is derived from the Raven, but is lighter gauge tubing, and the frame has slightly closer geometry.  But it is also a really great long distance bike, as long as you're not looking to carry vast weight - from the potential uses you have listed, I would suggest that this is worth a little extra expense.   

j22jbl

Re: Which Thorn Rohloff model?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 08:55:58 am »
I agree that the RST will fit the bill. I purchased one earlier this year and it is a great bike. It has a turn of speed, but at the same time offers comfort for long day rides, and load carrying capacity too. I really don't think that you would go far wrong with the RST. I tried both both, and found that the Raven Tour was less lively and had a more settled and less exiting feel.
The bike was a significant investment and it has not disappointed so far.
John