Author Topic: Raven, Raven Tour or Raven Sport Tour?  (Read 3145 times)

ourclarioncall

Re: Raven, Raven Tour or Raven Sport Tour?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2021, 12:23:32 am »
Found an old pdf on the difference between the tour and the tour sport and see there is only a few hundred grams difference in weight but that makes a huge difference in strength

And also interesting these models were introduced coming up to 20 years ago

martinf

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2021, 07:22:14 am »
Found an old pdf on the difference between the tour and the tour sport and see there is only a few hundred grams difference in weight but that makes a huge difference in strength

It's not just the weight, the geometry is slightly different and the Raven Tour has clearance for wider tyres. I use 50 mm width on mine, but I think it is possible to go up to 55 mm and still fit mudguards.

If buying now, the drawback of the Raven/Raven Sport Tour/Raven Tour frames is that they are all designed for 26"/559 tyres, which seem to be going out of fashion. The current Nomad model is designed to use any of three sizes - 26"/559 or 27.5"/584 or 29"/700C/622.

UKTony

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2021, 08:36:41 am »
The Raven frames are also designed to use the internally wired gear version of the Rohloff hub and do not cater for disc brakes. There are advantages to having the external gear mech box version of the hub on the Nomad lll (and ll).

See page 40 of this document

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornLivingWithARohloff.pdf

Internally wired hubs can be converted to ex box at a cost and the cable routeing on the Raven frame would need to be changed. I think this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.