Author Topic: Lighter than a Nomad  (Read 2932 times)

mickeg

Re: Lighter than a Nomad
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2021, 03:54:30 pm »
Consider how you are lifting the bike to put on the rack, etc.

If I lift my Nomad Mk II onto the receiver hitch rack that my bike top tube hangs on, it is quite difficult if I try to stand upright and lift the bike by lifting the top part of the bike.  But it is a lot easier if I use my knees to lower myself a bit, then lift it by using one hand on a chainstay, as I can use more of my leg muscles to do some of the lifting instead of relying solely on my arm muscles to lift it.

KDean

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2021, 05:36:16 pm »
I'm considering making a ramp I saw on Youtube made out of guttering & a alloy strip running up the back ,so I could push it straight onto the rack .

PH

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2021, 07:41:17 pm »
Tyres and tubes would be a good place to start, as Andre says there can be a huge difference.  What do you have on it now?
Then before swapping components, consider what you have attached and if you need it, racks, pump, lock, lights, bags... when you come to lift it the less stuff on it the better so anything that doesn't need to be attached might be better off in an easily removable bag.  Only then would I start looking at components. wheels might be a big one, but also a big job and expense, so I'd be inclined to leave alone. Saddle? If you have a kg of cowhide there, it might be time to look at alternatives. Bar ends? Crankset? There's a lot of weight difference in these, external bearing seem to be lighter, what have you? BB to match of course, and look at pedals at the same time. Then there's not much left, bars and seatpost, if they're the Thorn branded originals they're mid weight and durable, you might shave a couple of hundred grams off, but you might not want to. Likewise brakes, I assume V's? I've never considered the weight, there might be some saving.

I don't know what your frame weight is, this is the only part of your bike that isn't changeable, assuming you stick with the idea of the Rohloff. I did a quick google and found a review of a S&S coupled Nomad, bike weight 16.9kg frameset weight 3.8kg, maybe 3.5 without the S&S. This is what you're dealing with, this is the point I'd like to get across, if you build another bike up with a similar spec, you'll only be improving on that 3.5kg.
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/thorn-raven-nomad-ss-review/

I've only considered your question in relation to lifting it, there may be other good reasons to choose a different bike.

mickeg

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2021, 01:54:17 pm »
I don't know what your frame weight is, this is the only part of your bike that isn't changeable, assuming you stick with the idea of the Rohloff. I did a quick google and found a review of a S&S coupled Nomad, bike weight 16.9kg frameset weight 3.8kg, maybe 3.5 without the S&S. This is what you're dealing with, this is the point I'd like to get across, if you build another bike up with a similar spec, you'll only be improving on that 3.5kg.
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/thorn-raven-nomad-ss-review/

The Nomad Mk II frame likely weighs a bit more than the Nomad cited in that review.  The Nomad Mk II has a more robust downtube to headtube connection.  And of course, different sizes have different weights.

KDean

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 04:25:56 pm »
Removing  fronts & rear racks has saved 4lbs , I'll give SJS a call to see what they suggest .

PH

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 08:22:04 pm »
The Nomad Mk II frame likely weighs a bit more than the Nomad cited in that review.  The Nomad Mk II has a more robust downtube to headtube connection.  And of course, different sizes have different weights.
Maybe, the problem is quantifying that bit more. The reviewed frame weight is 2.8kg and 300g of that is going to be the S&S couplings. so 2.5kg. The forks look the same.
Here's an old Reynolds guide to the difference in frame weights, the difference between a track and a touring frame is 550g.  I suspect the difference between any two touring frames will be less than that.
http://equusbicycle.com/bike/reynolds/images/006reynolds80brochure.jpg

I've been down this road, I replaced my Raven with a custom titanium frame, there was 270g difference, the ti was heavier.  OK it was different in a lot of other ways and suited me better, but I had hoped to also shave a bit of weight off.