Author Topic: The corners of Scotland  (Read 23729 times)

eyelander

Re: The corners of Scotland
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 08:24:22 am »
Hi Matt,

if you would like to meet up for a cuppa or to compare hub noises, please mail me.

Weather doesn't look too bad for your stay, breezy but not too windy, lucky you missed out this weekend.

Jork (in Shetland)

John Saxby

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 08:43:39 am »
Matt, what a great trek you'll be doing! Hiking the West Highland Way a few years ago, I met a guy going south just near the northern end of Loch Lomond.  He was on a regular fixie city bike, lightly loaded.  The trail was clear enough, of course, but he had to carry his bike a bit.

Loved the daffs on your photo, and found the 'copter too.

Whenever I hear a 'copter I always think of that clip from Apocalypse Now.
  You could always put "The Ride of the Valkyries" on your iPod   :-)

Look forward to your stories from the summer.  (Maybe see if Rual could lend you a camera -- you'll be guaranteed good weather.)

J.

jags

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 10:08:33 am »

Templogin

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 09:36:40 am »
I just hope that the weather improves for you.  The winds are up to 32 mph at the moment and I was snow on at the bus shelter this morning!

Looking at my weather app it's windy, up to 40mph at worst and mostly dry.

@Jork - I thought that I was the only Thorn owner in Shetland, but it might not be the case after all.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:44:21 am by Templogin »

eyelander

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 01:00:27 pm »
Andy, I bought after a lot of deliberation a Raven last October and havn't regretted it so far. So there are at least two Thorns in Shetland now. Jork

nztony

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 01:03:07 pm »
Matt

Wow, I can not wait to read your trip report (and photos) of your Shetland adventure - that is the kind of thing I'd love to do too - I find remote islands fascinating, I spend hours on night shift exploring them on Google Earth and Street View. I wonder if I should add the Shetlands to my proposed Scotland, Orkney Islands, Outer Hebrides itinerary? I could be very easily convinced I think!

Tony

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 08:56:50 pm »
Hi folks
Many thanks for all your good wishes.
Looks like I will be bringing a third Thorn to the island.

I will pm the x2 residents and perhaps meet up if it gets too hot and I need some shade.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Templogin

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 09:59:46 am »
Bring a hat and gloves for the moment you stop to take a break!

Andy

eyelander

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 03:18:59 pm »
The old bird has arrived in Shetland. Please note that despite having just done 12 miles in force 5 to 7 wind and rain Matt is still smiling. It was a pleasure to meet him (and her of course).

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 03:52:55 pm »
Many thanks for the hospitality. Soup was fantastic.  :)
Great to meet up with a fellow Thorn owner.
Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 03:58:42 pm »
Aw, what a terrific photo of the meet-up as well! Always very nice to meet other Thornies when out and about. You both look terrific, and so to the bikes!

Looking closely at the photo, there's bound to be a shaggy dog story in there as well!  :D

All the best, and best of luck on the remainder of your tour, Matt. You're off on a wonderful ride!

Dan.

jags

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 05:33:51 pm »
well done lads great photo 8)

David Simpson

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 12:16:12 am »
Keep on posting photos!  I enjoy seeing both the bikes and the scenery.  I would love to tour Scotland, but that is a far-off dream (young kids and family responsibilities now).  My grandfather was born in Methlick, and lived there until he emigrated to Canada when he was 23.  My great- and great-great grandfathers are buried in the old churchyard there.  I've travelled through the UK (but sadly, not Ireland yet), and I really like seeing the pictures -- so that I can at least tour vicariously through you.   :)

- Dave

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 09:52:28 pm »
Hi Dave.
I live less than 10 miles from Methlick.
Want me to pop across to the graveyard and locate your ancestors?
Or perhaps you have been there yourself already?

I have to get back to the ranch before being able to upload pictures but thanks for the compliments
Matt

David Simpson

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 10:21:52 pm »
Hi Matt --

My one and only time (so far) to visit Scotland was in 2000.  We saw the churchyard in Methlick, and also visited my great-grandfather's farm at Cairnorrie (near B9170 and Monteach Road) and saw the Cairnorrie school that my grandfather attended as a child.  The farm is no longer in the family, but it meant a lot to me to be able to see my roots.  I could imagine him working in the fields there, and dreaming about distant lands, where he eventually ended up.  (He and his friend were actually hoping to get to Australia, but his money ran out in Canada.  That's why I'm Canadian.  I could have been an Aussie!)

Thanks for the offer for visit for me!

- Dave