Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Sent my Rohloff in!

(1/4) > >>

Thomas777:
So my wife's  Rohloff had been dripping oil to the point where it was becoming very annoying. We are in the US so I emailed Rohloff and within  30 minutes  had a reply  as to where there were authorized dealers/repair shops. Ah,German  efficiency!
After trading  a few emails with Peter White in New Hampshire and providing  hub# and other assorted items they got a warranty ok from Rohloff.
Here is what the tech shared with  me regarding the leaking. Since the hub alway retains some residual oil after each oil change this tends to build up causing  an abundance  of oil. So they do an overnight oil drain and use the new spec of the quantity of oil.
So my  cost is shipping both directions. And since I work part-time in a bike shop I grabbed a wheel box yesterday  and it will be on it's way today.

Andyb1:
They seem to be suggesting that at each oil change the residual oil increases?   Seems very unlikely.
And twice the new oil volume is the same as the old oil volume…..so there is a lot of tolerance.
But draining overnight is a good idea to get all the polluted old oil out.  See my thread just below.
Glad it is being repaired FOC - how old / miles is it?

PH:

--- Quote from: Thomas777 on March 15, 2024, 11:41:27 am ---So they do an overnight oil drain and use the new spec of the quantity of oil.
--- End quote ---
Have I read this right?  That's what they're going to do for you, drain and re-fill?  It seems a bit excessive to post it for someone else to do what you could do yourself.
Please keep posting how it goes and if it's cured.

Thomas777:
Hub has about 15,000 miles on it. They are doing a replacement of the seals under warranty.

PH:

--- Quote from: Thomas777 on March 16, 2024, 12:12:22 am ---Hub has about 15,000 miles on it. They are doing a replacement of the seals under warranty.

--- End quote ---
That sound more of a workshop requirement, I've misunderstood what you were saying.
I'm not convinced by this idea of residual oil, though I've always double flushed and the second one is noticeably cleaner.  Not sure what I'm going to do going forward, now that that it's distributed with half the quantity of running oil to flushing oil.
EDITED - Got the above the wrong way round (See below)  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version