Author Topic: HOPE hubs  (Read 3227 times)

fram

HOPE hubs
« on: September 15, 2014, 06:55:00 pm »
Hello there.  Just ordered Audax Mk3 and trying to decide whether to upgrade the wheels/hubs.  What is your experience of the "noisy" hubs.  Anyone got them on the Audax?
Thanks.

Audax hopeful

Re: HOPE hubs
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:26:53 pm »
I really like the idea of Hope hubs - a very nice long term investment. Problem is the Shimano Deore hubs are a fine product, so it's hard to justify the extra expense. I built my Audax up myself, and having previously (30 odd years ago) been into racing and time-trialing decided to major on Campag components. Again the mid quality hubs are an excellent product. If like me you live in very hilly terrain, or plan to travel to similar, Shimano does give more options to get really low gears and in retrospect I could have saved money by going that route. But the end result would not have been quite so individual and personal to me! I doubt you'd ever regret customising a bike with Hope hubs though!!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:46:56 pm »
Hi Fram, and welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forums!

My, it is always nice to have the tingle of New Bike Excitement in the air, and I'm sure you'll love your Audax Mk3 when it arrives.

I'm afraid I can't give any personal advice on the Hopes as I have not used them, but I can say I generally prefer hubs that freewheel quietly. I like to ride silently when coasting, and even moreso if there is wildlife to be seen. Just something to keep in mind if animal photography is important to you.

Just a few more days or so till your new ride arrives. Please, favor us with some photos in the gallery so we can collectively ooh and ah over it with you!  :D

Best,

Dan.

fram

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:55:53 pm »
Thanks for the comments.  I'm still swithering over the noisy hubs of course.  I'll try putting pics of our camping wagons in the gallery prior to the Audax arriving.

Hubs

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 11:02:25 am »
I've got a hope hub on the back of my MTB and it is distractingly noisy on road, to the extent that I tend to keep spinning while freewheeling to reduce the noise. I've no doubt it is as strong as an ox, and I don't notice off-road ( concentrating on staying alive), but I prefer something quieter for extended road use..

honesty

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 11:22:52 am »
When I asked the same question on the CTC forum there was some suggestions that the Hope hubs can disintegrate in the UK winter conditions. The guy suggesting seemed to be quite knowledgeable on the subject....

Have a look at this post for more info: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80852&p=724638&#p724638
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:27:58 am by honesty »

Relayer

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 05:40:28 pm »
I have had Hope Pro2 Evo hubs on my offroad bike for about a year, and Campag Athena hubs on my Audax bike for many years which are just as noisy as the Hopes. I enjoy the noise they make, to my ears it is the sound of quality.  :)

jags

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 06:24:24 pm »
Jim  i had the top of the range ksyrums on my kx look  same noise sounded great to me.
but now that i have the shimano hubs the silence is every bit as good. ;D ;D

anto.

Relayer

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 08:35:36 pm »
I don 't mind silent hubs either Anto, but the OP asked about Hopes and noise. ;)

jags

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 08:51:12 pm »
jim how are those grand bios holding up. ;)

anto

Relayer

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 08:53:46 pm »
I haven't actually used them much so far Anto, the RST has been kinda idle lately.

Relayer

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 09:02:00 pm »
Jim  i had the top of the range ksyrums on my kx look  same noise sounded great to me.
but now that i have the shimano hubs the silence is every bit as good. ;D ;D

anto.

I just remembered Anto, you have 105 hubs Anto? I also have them on  my road bike and they aren't completely silent either.

Jim

jags

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 09:06:57 pm »
they are compaired to hope hubs  ;D ;D
jim send that bike over to me i'll test those tyres for you.

anto

triaesthete

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 07:55:26 am »

Hoe hubs are aural marmite!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNeMVevHQD8

It seems many people like the racket  :P

I have lovely refined 105 hubs on my Audax. (The most recent generation of 105 (5700 iirc) is noisier than the older ones, but still relatively quiet.)

Ticking along (quietly)
Ian

honesty

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 08:33:54 am »
I have last gen ultgera's on my audax, and they are whisper quiet. Its lovely.