Author Topic: The folly of youth. The idiocy of age  (Read 1292 times)

Andybg

The folly of youth. The idiocy of age
« on: April 16, 2012, 04:51:36 pm »
Last november after buying my two thorns I started looking into touring. At that time I joined a website called warmshowers which for those who do not know it is a site for cycle tourists to find and offer free accomodation all over the world.

Since then I have had a steady traffic of hardy cycle tourists as they pass from europe to asia or the other way round. (I am based in bulgaria).

The last two visitors arrived on the same day having both set out from western Europe. One travelling through nothern Europe on his way to turkey and then crete and the other having travelled through nothern africa then turkey and now planning to return home through nothern Europe.

The two cyclists had two things in common. They where both under 30 and both ridding such cheap bikes that the components did not even have any model on them, Just shimano something or other.

The question is who are the mad ones:

The ones with cheap bikes touring the world or those with not quiet the perfect kit still putting the final touches to our list of needs?

If nothing else I resolve to take my Nomad out this year and atleast cross one country border. - Even if that means sleeping under a tarp. (who neads a tent when you are asleep or so I have been informed)

jags

Re: The folly of youth. The idiocy of age
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:15:49 pm »
AH Andy when i was there age i would climb up the pebble dashing of a wall these days i need a cherry picker and a harness. i went to a fellclub meet few years back and all the folks bar none had top of the range bike's of all makes and size's, even the lads i ride with at weekends there bike are all top notch.when your younger you don't have a care in the world and you dont appreaciate the good things in life like riding a dream machine like a thorn.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: The folly of youth. The idiocy of age
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:23:24 pm »
Well, Andy, I had a tremendous amount of fun back in the day with what I -- and most these days -- would consider substandard equipment. Part of it was how little I had, and part of it was bike-touring-specific kit back then wasn't what it is now. Some photographic examples here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3896.msg18979#msg18979

And you know what? It didn't matter a whit. I still had a wonderful time, and many happy memories to show for it.

I do recall none of it stopped me from riding 8,000-12,000mi/13,000-19,000km a year like clockwork, and an appalling amount of it in Nike Waffle trainers, which pretty well did my feet in. I also remember emptying out my water bottles to make for less weight on stiff climbs. I took every advantage I could when climbing 20% grades in a 38.6" (40-28t) low gear. How could I possibly wreck my knees? I was using my lowest gear, after all.

It is worth remembering the astonishing number of people who have crossed the globe and circled the world on coaster-braked single-speeds, and before that, on penny-farthings.  Every once in awhile, I'll air-up the tires on my father's 1938 Hercules coaster-brake bike and have another go on it to remind me how lucky I am to also have bikes with multiple gears to choose from, and real brakes.  It's a white-knuckle experience to take the Herc down my version of "repack mountain" and the brake always has to be disassembled and regreased afterward.

My guess is these folks you're encountering are doing what they can, as they can, with what they have. If it comes down to trip /or/ equipment...well, they're out there and going! We mustn't let the odd slight imperfection be an impediment -- go for it, man! Yes, tarps are entirely viable and all tents looks the same with your eyes closed. The US Motel 6 lodging chain made an entire add campaign on that basis, basically saying "Our cheap rooms look like the fancy once when you close your eyes".  :D

Looking forward to your tour reports, Andy! Pictures! We'll want pictures on your return, so don't forget the camera!

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:33:54 pm by Danneaux »