Community > Thorn General

Keep or trade in

<< < (3/5) > >>

geocycle:

--- Quote from: KDean on December 11, 2021, 04:08:57 pm ---Thanks for all the replies .I purchased my Nomad mrk2 just before my LEJOG trip & chose to use my Ribble Adventure 2.8" tires  because I knew there would be some off road
& I was more familiar with servicing it .Even though the Nomad is 5kg heavier I did compair the times on some local routes & their wasn't any difference in times , The Nomad did feel pretty comfortable & stable unloaded but this was only over 20_30miles .Thorn have offered me a good trade in price on s Mercury 650b but I'm wondering if there would be a huge difference .

--- End quote ---

Interesting about the trade in. Did they just assess the bike from your description? I don’t want to know about the value but would be interested in the process. With new bikes now at £3k an easy part exchange route would be good. I guess the alternative is selling separately.

KDean:
I only got the bike from to gem in June & it's only done about 30 miles .I could get a better price if I sold it but do I want all that hassle ? I'd love to keep it for what I had planned but because of my 2nd operation due in January I don't think it would be realistic but who knows I could end up getting a Mercury as well ;)

in4:
Despite buying a new Nomad I still cast a wistful eye over my shoulder for the MK1 Nomad I sold to fund the new one. If you can, keep the Nomad until you’re in a better place to make a decision. Besides, there’s nothing like going through the Mega brochure deciding on your prospective new steed and it’s spec’
Best wishes

ourclarioncall:
It won’t be long before you will never be able to buy a new legendary mk2 nomad. After that it will be the used market . If you sell you might regret it ? But I’m sure you will know yourself the best decision to make

I’m really gutted I got interested in this at the wrong time and now can’t get what I want as everything is sold out

If your wife’s let’s you …. I would consider going for a Mercury ….. then after that once you see how your health is Doing you could always sell the nomad once you’ve had a chance to compare it to the Mercury . Or just keep it ! Coz like guitars and basses , ones not enough right ! (***spoken in a woman’s voice**** “but you already have a _____, why do you need another one ?! 😁)

UKTony:
I’m in a similar dilemma, ride similar terrain and almost your weight! I bought my Nomad 2 in 2013 and now considering a Mercury. I hadn’t thought about trade-in but given that good second hand bikes at the moment are like gold dust, trade-in prices ought to be good. How long this will last, I don’t know.

I’d thought about buying a Mercury frame and fork and  cannabalising the Nomad as a lot of the parts would transfer to a Mercury, eg the Rohloff hub and Son28 dynohub, flat bars, disc and v brake inc levers, etc, and selling the remainder but it’s more hassle and might not save much over a good trade-in price.

I don’t know what wheels/tyres are on your Nomad but for example you could save around 200g per rim by changing from heavy weight Andra 30s (Typical on a Nomad) to middle weight Zac 19s and as others have said, some more by changing to different tyres, say 1.6” Marathon Supremes, and that should give a noticeably zippier ride. I find the Supremes good for the majority of conditions on such routes except heavier muddy sections of cycle paths. Although on paved surfaces the ride is a little less comfortable than say 2” Duremes.

Replacing a Thorn expedition rear rack with say a Tubus Vega (610g) would save another 200g (the supporting bars that come with the Vega rack to attach the rack to the upper seat stays are just long enough on a 565L Nomad 2 frame but they do sell an extra long set if required).

As to a 650b Mercury, I have a long bare foot stand over measurement (89cm) so have 175mm cranks. I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure there’s a warning in the Thorn brochure somewhere against 175mm cranks with 650b wheels (Tyre size might be the determining factor here).
Best of luck with this.
Cheers
Tony

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version