Author Topic: swapping from threaded sprocket to new narrow sprocket carriear  (Read 128 times)

E-wan

Hi
Any tips on how to swap from a threaded sprocket to the new narrow sprocket carriear
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sprockets/rohloff-splined-sprocket-carrier-slim-8540s/

Thanks

Ewan

PH

Re: swapping from threaded sprocket to new narrow sprocket carriear
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 08:27:22 pm »
Have you ever replaced a threaded sprocket?  If so, you're familiar with most of it, the tough bit is removing the existing sprocket, then the carrier fits in it's place, in the same way (tighten it once the sprocket is on with a chainwhip, though the first couple of pedal rotations will do it anyway). If you've never removed a sprocket, there's plenty of advice for that which a search should lead you too. Once the carrier is on, the sprocket slides on and there's just the snap ring.  There's a bit of a technique, I'm not the most skilled at that, sometimes it pops straight on, other times it takes a few goes.
Tips - Put something on the carrier threads to ease removal if you ever need to, threadlock, copperslip, grease, whatever you have just don't put it on dry.  Have a sacrificial screwdrivers to lever the snap ring on, but don't wreck a decent one. It doesn't need much force to get it on, don't overdo it, if it doesn't pop straight on, leave it 5 min and try again (That works for me, anyway!)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 08:30:36 pm by PH »

mickeg

Re: swapping from threaded sprocket to new narrow sprocket carriear
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 12:06:46 pm »
Some have had trouble removing threaded sprockets.  I have never had any such trouble, but I use large tools for that task.

If you lack the tools, for a one time use it might be cheaper to have a shop do it.  In the ideal world, once the new carrier is on you probably will never need to remove it.