Author Topic: Busch & Muller "Toplight Line Plus Brake[tec]" rear light  (Read 8622 times)

IanW

Busch & Muller "Toplight Line Plus Brake[tec]" rear light
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:12:42 pm »
Hi all,

This weekend I finally had a chance to observe the B&M Toplight line plus brake[tec]  in action on my bike.

I knew that this rear light had a good reputation for rear light visibility
and I have seen a couple of short promotional videos of the "braketec" in action.
but here are my own observations:

1) The basic rear-light works well even in dull daylight

It is not as visible / in-your-face-bright as a Cateye TL-LD1100
    when you are physically close to both lights (and looking from a bit above)

But as you get further away, directly behind the light, as you would as a driver of a following vehicle,
    the Toplight line becomes pronouncedly more effective, where the TL-LD1100 does not seem to change in its visibility.

And the stand[by]-light (i.e. the "Plus" bit works well too.

2) The "braketec" (connected via an Edelux to a SON hub dynamo) definitely works.

But it only responds to a significant reduction in speed, like when stopping or when slowing down to take a sharp turn.

It does *not* light up when you simply stop pedalling and your speed (on the level or up hill) drops,
    nor when you brake gently to adjust speed a bit.

It also only stays brighter while the (significant) deceleration is occurring.

So it does *not* exhibit the same characteristics as a conventional motor vehicle brake light
    (i.e. come on at the slightest application of the brakes and stays on while the brake is applied even when stationary).

Also on a strange psychological note, even *I*, knowing that it has a brake-light technology
    and actively observing its operating characteristics, there were a couple of occasions
    when *I* did not react to it as a braking event.

3) Other interesting note this light would not light-up (when connected either way around)
    when connected to a *DC* bicycle dynamo

At least not until its stand-by capacitor was initially charged-up via an *AC* dynamo

Once charged-up using the *AC* it would then operate off the *DC* dynamo
    even with intervals between operation of several hours.

But overnight, when the capacitor had fully discharged, it needed "booting" using the *AC* dynamo again.

My verdict: IFF you are considering a light-weight, well-made rear dynamo-powered light
then the B&M Toplight Line plus (with or without the "braketec") is a good option.

And IFF you are going to buy the "Toplight Line plus"
*and* you can accept that there might be reliability implications of the extra "braketec" circuitry,
then I think the "braketec" is probably worth the extra pennies / cents.

But if you already have the Toplight Line plus (or indeed any other good dynamo rear light)
the I would not pay the full price of the "braketec" version simply for this extra technology.

If you could adjust the sensitivity of the deceleration response
*and* the light stayed bright for a few seconds longer
*and* you rode with lights on even during the daytime,
(because the braketec doesn't operate when the lights are off of course)
*and* drivers learnt that even bicycles might have brake lights
then, and only, then might it be worth replacing an existing (good) dynamo rear light
with one that incorporates a brake light too.

--
IanW

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Busch & Muller "Toplight Line Plus Brake[tec]" rear light
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:28:09 pm »
Hi Ian!

My! What a nicely written report on how the light works and worked for you. This part...
if you already have the Toplight Line plus (or indeed any other good dynamo rear light) the I would not pay the full price of the "braketec" version simply for this extra technology.
...is exactly the question I had. I'm very pleased with my Toplight Line Plus and wondered if the "upgrade" might be worth it for my needs. I have a much better idea now, thanks!

Best,

Dan. (...putting the brakes on an upgrade at present)

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:46:10 pm »
Thanks for that, Ian. I'll keep my money in my pocket, then. Something else will come along soon enough to spend it on!

I was interested by your remarks about the Cateye TL LD-1100, which I've always run in flashing mode to back up another, steady, lamp. My experience is that in either daylight or at night (my light operate whenever the bike is used, day and night) the Cateye is surplus to requirements if you have a BUMM IQ lamp (Cyo or Fly) and a Toplight Line (I have the Plus but don't actually need it, as I run both lights off the pedelec battery).

That makes the IQ/Line the first bike lamp combo that is up to car standards, if you take cars as including a VW Beetle from the 6V days. Good enough, and a thousand miles advance from where we bicyclists were only three years ago.

Andre Jute

IanW

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:28:38 pm »
Hi Andre,

I think that the "line" (Fresnel?) light scattering technology in these lights is quite deceptive because in the vertical plane the off-axis light scatter is deliberately quite limited because it is of little use lighting the road/sky a few metres behind the bike but the horizontal plane scatter is quite clearly designed to catch the driver's eye from a considerable distance and at a considerable off-axis angle.

I caught site of my rear light + reflector plate on the bike ahead with the sun was at a low level and just behind / over my shoulder

The Toplight Line LED output *and* TL-LD1100 lights became completely irrelevant and instead the reflective tape "lit-up" with an even brighter red rectangle that was the Toplight reflector (with an almost black rectangle where the TL-LD1100 is)

I reckon, in darkness, a car headlight from directly behind will see much the same effect. (I feel the need to set-up a photo-shoot.)

So I think that the Toplight Line is also a very good reflector, where the TL-LD1100 does *not* *reflect* any light from its not inconsiderable surface area.

All *I* need now is a comparative report between the B&M "Toplight Line Plus" and the Philips "Safe Rule LumiRing" to decide what to put onto the lighting rig I am putting together for the recumbent trike which I keep having to abandon / moth-ball for the duration of my winter commutes.

Cheers
Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:45:19 pm »
I feel the need to set-up a photo-shoot.
Oh! Please Ian, could you?

Looking forward to it!

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 08:50:14 pm »
and if you have video function on that camera  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 08:56:02 pm »
...and don't forget side and quarter-oblique views of the Sekuclips. I'm still flash-blinded from efforts to successfully photograph mine. They really show up!

Best,

Dan.

triaesthete

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:58:34 pm »
Hi Ian
welcome aboard. I almost thought I was reading a Danneaux post it was that thorough. Well done.

The TL LD1100 is a "more is better" sort of light whereas the original line plus is a "less is more" piece of leftfield design, particularly in the way it aids motorists in judging their closing speed and distance.

Like Andre I think we are up to car standards now. The only improvement I currently long for is a dip/main beam facility on the headlight so I could set it a little higher and use the available light to the full on unlit roads.

The brake feature seemed like a gimmick to me and you confirm this. It seems like a solution without a problem. I'd wager that cars running into the back of bicycles occurs due to inattention or aggressive tailgating rather than the car being outbraked by the bicycle.

It looks as though the broader market for bicycle lighting is going to follow the usual comsumer arms race scenario now; ie we'll be offered ever more brightness in conical beam form as LEDs are cheap and improving  and reflectors are expensive and difficult to develop.

If Schmidt or BUMM get a dip feature and keep the clever reflectors they'll get my headlamp upgrade money. At the back I can't see a need for any more than the lineplus already gives.

Happily illuminated
Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:33:32 pm »
Like Andre I think we are up to car standards now. The only improvement I currently long for is a dip/main beam facility on the headlight so I could set it a little higher and use the available light to the full on unlit roads.

Definitely. It would meet German standards and let me see the lowflying branch before it takes out my eye, and the stop sign before I ride under the silent electric car suddenly appearing at speed from behind the blind corner.

Andre Jute

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:37:33 pm »
I look forward to your photos, Ian. I took some at the installation test of my electric motor but I was concentrating on the front lamp. I did however note the power of the reflector on the Line at 60m, just as you did. -- Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:45:29 pm »
The only improvement I currently long for is a dip/main beam facility on the headlight so I could set it a little higher and use the available light to the full on unlit roads.
Agreed. Does anyone (else) leave their headlight mounting bolt just loose enough to allow aiming on-the-fly?

I have the B&M IQ Cyo R with the Nearfield lighting option (the light hits the pavement about 1m ahead of the front wheel), and will sometimes raise it on country roads so I can read the reflective green-and-white road/lane signs (the signs are set at 10-12ft/3-3.6m from the ground), which are otherwise too high for the cutoff beam to catch, then dip the light again to the normal position. Very useful, but would be even moreso if the internal mirrored retro-reflective reflector could be tipped instead, say at the touch of a button.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 10:00:29 pm »
I actually have a crude "dip" feature already on my BUMM IQ Fly E, with the effects shown in the beam shots at http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec6.html It's a click stop arrangement with three settings in the mounting of the lamp. Two of the settings are useful, the third one is worthless, merely an irritant.

My bike is huge, the tall steering tube makes it higher still, and the lamp is a long way down past a veritable forest of cables, and under a substantial handlebar bag. Very awkard to get at and use as a dip feature, so I shan't be voting for Dan's putative dip-button unless it is remotely mounted on the handlebar.

I want something more useful than that crude effort.

Andre Jute

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 12:06:23 pm »
IanW - good review! I did a quick demo video just after fitting my lights ... video info ...

Quick demo of the Busch + Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo R Senso Plus LED Front Light (175QRSNDi) and the Toplight Line Brake Plus LED Rear Light (323/5ALTV). Filmed just after fitting, the video shows the front and back lights running from a 6v/3w Nordlicht 2000 Sidewall Bottle Dynamo. Even at slow speed and with light braking, the Brake function can just be seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsk61EwAPLA

The Nordlicht dynamo works well for round town commuting. Still saving for a wheel build with a SON 28 Classic for touring!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:11:21 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 03:05:50 pm »
I did a quick demo video just after fitting my lights...
You sure did, Richard, and a very fine job of it, too! Shows the light very nicely, indeed, both close and at a distance.

:D Excellent!

All the best,

Dan.