Author Topic: Experience of self extracting crank bolts?  (Read 5034 times)

philb0412

Experience of self extracting crank bolts?
« on: June 24, 2012, 11:34:21 pm »
Hello all. I wondered i anybody here had used self extracting cranks bolts? Like these: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ta-self-extracting-crank-bolts-m8-black-per-pair-prod13251/ or these cheaper versions, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1201

I am going for a tour for a couple of years (with long stops) to China and back. Do you think these are reliable enough to use, in order to save carrying a chunk of metal that will probably only come out my pannier a couple of times?

Or does anybody have any horror stories o stripped threads or wobbly cranks?

Thanks in advance.

Phil (T minus 9 weeks and counting until departure!!!)

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Experience of self extracting crank bolts?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:59:57 am »
Hi Phil,

I built up my last 3 bikes with self extracting crank bolts.  I have never had any issue with them and indeed it is SO easy to extract the crank that I often remove the right hand crank and spider when cleaning.  One very small negative point is that a pin spanner is needed to fit the aluminium cap, however there should be no need to remove the cap once fitted - even on an extended tour.  I like them. 

(I haven't used the exact models in your links but they all work in much the same way)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:03:14 am »
Hi Phil!

Stuart beat me to the draw while I was typing, :D but I can add another data point in favor and several tips I've found ensure absolute success over years of use.

I have self-extracting crank bolts fitted to every one of my bikes with square-taper cranks, including the tandem. The ones I got are made by Sugino and were first on the market some years ago. They have continued to serve well n service for me ever since.

They were developed around a 6mm allen socket, and I wish it were 8mm. Still, I have never had a wobbly crank develop from their use. I employ a Shimano EX long-handled and hardened allen key from the late-1980s to install and remove them.

Most crank extractors need a few extra steps to ensure they will work properly down the road. These include...

1) Be sure to put anti-seize on the crank bolt threads and on the inside of the cap against which the crank bolt pushes to extract the cranks.

2) Make absolutely certain the thin copper washer included with most extractors goes between the cap and the bolt. Also make sure you have included the washer *under* the extractor bolt, in the socket of the crank arm. Both are necessary to make it all work, and you will rue the day you forgot them if you don't use both.

3) Make absolutely sure the cap is installed firmly in the crank with whatever tool is required. For my Suginos, this is a piece of folded steel with a hex-hole punched in the middle to take the key that drives it. For the others you linked to, it is a pin wrench.

4) For a first install, I would strongly recommend you lube the tapers in this application (yes, I know, a point of controversy) and then drive the cranks home using conventional bolts torqued to spec. Then, remove those conventional bolts and replace them with the allen-keyed versions, also torqued to spec. If you don't have an allen key bit for your torque wrench, you can get them acceptably tight by hand.

5) Check the bolts periodically, at ~60mi/100km intervals for several intervals. It is good insurance to make certain the cranks are driven fully home and seated squarely.

6) Thereafter, you should have no problem and no need to remove the cranks except on the road, when only a suitably long allen key will be needed. I have done this for the last 25 years or so and never had a problem, either on remote tours or closer to home.

7) One last note: If it has been awhile since you have extracted the cranks with these built-in extractors, do yourself a favor and dribble a single drop of oil into the gap between the cap and the extractor bolt. Removal will go ever so much easier.

To set your mind at ease, I would (and do!) use these things without hesitation and have not carried that "chunk of metal" (conventional extractor) since about 1997 with nary a worry or concern; you'll be fine, I'm sure.

Very best wishes on your final preparations and on the wonderful adventure to follow. You're in for a wonderful time, and you have all our best wishes for a safe, happy, and fun trip of a lifetime. Please keep us in the loop as you depart and -- hopefully! -- on occasion after you hit the road.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:03:25 am by Danneaux »

philb0412

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:42:26 am »
Excellent, thanks very much chaps. I'm glad to hear that they are reliable and you haven't had any problems. I had never heard of these until the other day, they are such a good idea. I'm surprised they aren't more common place on bikes (or maybe I just haven't noticed them).

I was begrudging having to take an 8mm allen key with me only for the crank bolt covers, but seeing as I will now be able the standard crank extractor at home that seems fine!

il padrone

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:10:32 am »
I'm surprised they aren't more common place on bikes (or maybe I just haven't noticed them). 
Most average Joe riders never get around to changing their chain, never mind pulling the cranks off!!

philb0412

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:09:11 pm »
Just as a side note to this thread. I went to my two local bike shops who did not have a pin spanner. Eventually I went further afield and found one that told me I could use the Shimano peg spanner. This is the chainring bolt tool, but also has pins that fit the holes of the self extracting crank bolts (or the ones I bought at least)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 05:33:49 pm »
...I could use the Shimano peg spanner
Oh! What a happy coincidence, Phil! The wider pin-wrench end of that peg spanner was designed to remove Shimano's chromed-plastic  crankbolt dust caps, popular around...1989 (a pair were installed in the Deore cranks of my Miyata 1000LT from that year). It really is nice they also fit the extractors, giving continued double use from a very handy little tool (I employ the peg end of mine regularly when cleaning and resetting my cranks and chainrings).

Thanks for letting us know, Phil; nice job!

Best,

Dan.