Author Topic: Bicycle vs Kangaroo  (Read 4488 times)

Slammin Sammy

Re: Bicycle vs Kangaroo
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:14:19 am »
Canberra and surrounds are LOUSY with kangaroos! The federal lands, including parks, gardens, campuses, bases, etc. are home to thousands of them, and every time there's talk of culling them, the conservationists, animal rightists and other urban do-gooders put up a big stink.

Usually roos keep to themselves, but in times of drought, or in cold weather, they start coming out of the bush to feed on the edges or roads and paths. They can pester pedestrians and cause havoc with traffic. 

Not so cute now, eh Skippy?  :-\

Relayer

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:39:09 am »
awww poor Skeep   :'(

in4

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 03:04:57 pm »
I had a close call with a roo in the NT. I was cycling in the bush and the roo and I nearly collided. Don't know which of us was the more shocked. Thankfully it was only a little one and not one those big reds. Get on the wrong side of a roo and it will eviscerate your tripes before you know it!

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:14:05 am »
You fellows want to upgrade your attitude to Skippy to
CORDON BLEU FOR CAMPERS
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/archives/4151
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:12:49 pm by Andre Jute »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:02:45 pm »
You fellows want to upgrad your attitude to Skippy to
CORDON BLEU FOR CAMPERS
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/archives/4151

I've dined on many a fine roo steak (butterflied with wild mushrooms is my favourite) and roo tail soup. When I lived in southwest Western Australia, I used to spot for a roo shooter mate, and the aero club BBQs always had plenty of tucker!  :P

energyman

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:43:50 am »
Here in deepest Lincolnshire we can also feast on 'Roo burgers & steaks.  Very tasty and apparently a "healthy" meat.  The local ostrich farm sells them.  Makes a good excuse for a very pleasant ride out to the farm to buy them.
 :)

JWestland

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 11:53:19 am »
Years ago a male Ostrich escaped from a farm in The Netherlands...60 mph murder on two legs basically.

Police had to shoot him, he went after cyclists. And no way you go that fast on a Dutch bike lol
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 09:51:48 pm »
Years ago a male Ostrich escaped from a farm in The Netherlands...60 mph murder on two legs basically.

Police had to shoot him, he went after cyclists. And no way you go that fast on a Dutch bike lol

I grew up at Oudtshoorn, in the Western Cape, world capital of ostriches, location of the great Ostrich Boom of the 1890s. I used to race ostriches; first guy to fall off loses, terminally if he falls off forwards. They can kick forwards, not so much sideways, but are limited because they will only kick if they can watch their kicking foot; that's not surprising because an ostrich has a brain the size of a pea to coordinate a very large animal. However, when it can see, that four-inch fingernail at the end of a muscular leg will rip you like a steam-powered can opener. It's an aggressive animal, male and female alike.

One day one of the farm labourers got in the way of a big male ostrich we were running around a kraal, trying to maneuver it into the V-block (hefty poles driven into the ground, topped by horizontal tree trunks arranged in a V at chest height to an ostrich which immobilizes it) so we could approach it, and before anyone could catch its neck in crook (a sort of long shepherd's hook used to catch an ostrich around the neck just under the head in order to force the head down to in front of the feet to immobilize the animal from fear that it will kick itself to death) it kicked this poor fellow. He was ripped open from crotch to just under his heart. I scooped up his entrails from the dust in my cupped hands and put them back in the cavity of his stomach, and then noticed his heart pumping out blood, and stuck my little finger in the hole until the ambulance came. He lived, though he never walked right again.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:46:01 am by Andre Jute »

energyman

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 03:17:45 pm »
Just what the farmer on our local farm said when asked if he ever had any problem with rustlers.

JWestland

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 10:42:17 am »
Wow Andre that's some class first aid.

Were you ok after that? Pure horror story!
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:41:54 am »
Thanks for asking. I'm pretty fairskinned, so I never go out without wearing gloves, usually leather dress gloves, including on my bike. I didn't get any visible blood on my skin and somehow this fellow's gut was not perforated, which was fortunate for both of us, because that's a fast way to spread all kinds of nastiness. The housekeeper on the farm, after swabbing me down with Dettol just in case of micro-spots of blood (this was long, long before AIDS and Hepatitis B was ever heard of -- she had been a nursing sister, so she took hygiene seriously), took my gloves away to have them laundered but after inspection decided to burn them instead just to be certain.

I have a pencil case from that ostrich's skin; it used to be a cigar case until I  gave up smoking:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:43:53 am by Andre Jute »

Vintagetourer

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 12:42:12 am »
And it has happened again...
This time there was a whole mob of those bounders ...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/cyclist-damages-kidney-in-another-canberra-kangaroo-accident-20150128-12y5xz.html

I am investigating how much it will cost to fit a roo bar and roll cage to my Thorn Sherpa :)

VT
Reporting Live from Canberra The Bush Capital

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 02:13:15 am »
Ouch!

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 07:42:40 pm »
Ouch, indeed!

But wait a minute... What's that guy doing in my shed!?

And he's been tidying up!!

;)