Author Topic: Blades for Bikies  (Read 7056 times)

mickeg

Re: Blades for Bikies
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 04:17:50 pm »
I use several different knives, do not give a lot of thought to which ones to take on a trip.  The extremes of the range varied from the Swiss Champ (generally not for knife duties but for general repair duties) to a very very lightweight small blade lock back that is easy to clean after slicing salami and cheese.  Recently have also used a $1 USD knife that does not fold but has a good plastic sheath for kitchen duties.  The plastic sheath is very good protection for it, the knife cleans easy after food prep. 

The new $1 USD knife that I brought on my last trip is the yellow one in the photo.  The photo is my cooking gear that I took to Iceland this past summer.  The Swiss Champ is not in the photo, as I considered it a tool on that trip and not a kitchen utensil, it was packed with my spare cables, spare brake pads, chain oil, spare quick link, multi-tool, etc.

Note to Matt:  Most of my folding knives are Victorinox and do not lock, but I think some of their larger knives lock.

Note to Dan:  I used an Opinell knive on one canoe trip decades ago and never used it again.  I put it in the hot dish water when doing some kitchen cleanup, it soaked there for several minutes.  After that the wood at the folding joint swelled and made it almost impossible to open and close for the rest of the trip.  So, I suggest you be careful to keep it dry enough that the wood does not swell.

This thread is older than my Nomad, but more recent than my Sherpa for age.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 06:27:42 pm »
What kind of folding knife doesn't lock?
Most of the folding knives, Matt!

The difference is partly semantic. Most folding knives have a linear spring that holds the blade open (and shut) to a degree. However, springs do not hold the blade rigid;under pressure, it can still fold.

A lock-blade knife has a stop, catch, or other means to ensure the blade cannot fold until deliberate action is taken to fold it. On my Wenger, this is an automatic catch that must be manually released to fold the blade. On the Opinel, it is a rotating collar that must be enabled and disabled else the blade is held open or shut only by the friction of the wood on each side of the blade hinge.

The distinction becomes important depending on where you live or travel. The same knife that might be legal without a lock may be prohibited and regarded as a weapon if it can be made rigid.
Note to Dan:  I used an Opinell knive on one canoe trip decades ago and never used it again.  I put it in the hot dish water when doing some kitchen cleanup, it soaked there for several minutes.  After that the wood at the folding joint swelled and made it almost impossible to open and close for the rest of the trip.  So, I suggest you be careful to keep it dry enough that the wood does not swell.
Yep! Exactly why I was asking about applying Vaseline 'round the hinge. The Opinel is far from practical and not versatile enough for my own all-weather touring needs, but it should be nice for slicing salami, cutting breads, or peeling apples and such on cycling picnics.

The real reason I chose it was because I'm absolutely besotted by the cycling theme and I like the idea it was invented 'round the same time as my Brooks B.17 and is similarly traditional and largely unchanged. One of those cases where romance trumps sheer utility. Things don't always work out so well when this happens, but such items usually become treasured possessions in ways the merely utilitarian items do not. They speak to me in a different way. You should see my collection of antique, all-metal incandescent flashlights and compasses. None work as well as my much later LED/plastic lights and compasses (compii?), a much larger collection. I was in heaven during a recent power outage. The only frustration was choosing which light to grab and the ultimate disappointment when the lights came back on. The neighbors across my back fence were without power for 6 days, and I actually envied them.  ;D
This thread is older than my Nomad, but more recent than my Sherpa for age.
Well...sure! Reducing thread proliferation as a worthy goal.  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 08:21:46 pm »
I have a Leatherman Wave which is 16 years old now, I notice the design has changed slightly in that time to include bit drivers where mine has a couple of smaller screwdrivrs. Great tool, but probably illegal to carry without good reason here (sshhhh!), because the blades lock open.
Original Wave http://www.leatherman.com/original-wave-79.html#start=13
Current Wave http://www.leatherman.co.uk/wave/10.html#start=1
Before that I had a Leatherman PST, the original Leatherman, no longer made, I still have it somewhere.
PST http://www.leatherman.com/pst-77.html#start=14

The Leatherman Crunch would maybe be my choice for cycletouring if I was in the market again, http://www.leatherman.com/crunch-1.html#start=32

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 08:30:08 pm »
I have a Leatherman Wave...
<Dan's eyes light up  ;D >

Leathermans (Leathermen?) are not only knives but multi-tools!!!

I have even more of those than I do flashlights and compasses. It is a disease, perhaps only surpassed by a Stove Addiction.  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

martinf

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 09:37:41 pm »
I've had several Opinel knives over the last 25 years or so. I've only needed to replace them because of either losing the knife or lending it to someone who forgot to return it.

I have had the current one for at least 5 years, it is stainless, but with a plain unengraved handle. I don't lubricate the wood part with the hinges and have never purposely got that part really wet, I just wash and wipe the blade, especially between mealtime use and other jobs. No problems with it sticking. But I use it nearly every day, and keep it in a a pouch with my mobile phone, wallet, etc.

The much larger and much older non-stainless Opinel I keep in the garage for odd jobs does stick. Damp environment, irregular use. Blade is a bit rusty too. I think I would rather use linseed oil than Vaseline on that one - probably better for the wood and I already use linseed oil for the gardening tool handles.

I like the locking feature of the Opinel, it means the blade can't suddenly fold when using it for awkward jobs. But I have to remember to remove it from my pouch when visiting the UK because it is apparently illegal to carry one there. Customs now ask specifically about lockable knives at the ferryport checks.

Before the Opinel I used to carry a large sheath knife (smaller model of a commando knife). That now never leaves the house, as, except for specific exemptions for hunters, etc. it is almost certainly illegal to carry it around in France and other European countries, let alone the UK.

jags

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 09:47:00 pm »
i use a Bowie knife meself  8)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 10:15:38 pm »
Thank you, Martin. I have some linseed oil from past wheelbuilding projects years ago, where I have used it as a nipple threadlocker before switching to a mix of Phil Tenacious oil and anti-seize instead.

Hmm. Something to ponder...I wonder if the linseed oil might make the knife's hinge pin and blade action sticky?

All the best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 10:54:50 pm »
I have a Leatherman Wave which is 16 years old now, I notice the design has changed slightly in that time to include bit drivers where mine has a couple of smaller screwdrivrs. Great tool, but probably illegal to carry without good reason here (sshhhh!), because the blades lock open.
Original Wave http://www.leatherman.com/original-wave-79.html#start=13
Current Wave http://www.leatherman.co.uk/wave/10.html#start=1
Before that I had a Leatherman PST, the original Leatherman, no longer made, I still have it somewhere.
PST http://www.leatherman.com/pst-77.html#start=14

The Leatherman Crunch would maybe be my choice for cycletouring if I was in the market again, http://www.leatherman.com/crunch-1.html#start=32

Based on this it looks like I have two Original Waves.  I might have brought one on some of my bike trips but I usually do not keep track that well which tools I brought on each trip.