Author Topic: From here to expedition.....  (Read 12772 times)

ianshearin

Re: From here to expedition.....
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 07:10:32 am »
Wow, some great photos there, thanks iL  :)
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

bikerwaser

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:02 am »
Hi Ian

this is the tent that i bought and find it great . the porch is huge. it is over 3 kg but i figure it's worth it for the comfort. you can see my review here too . i picked it up on ebay for under £100

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Coleman-Pictor-X2/1740

best

Waser

ianshearin

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 04:14:35 pm »
Hi Wasser,
Thanks for that, tents are on my shopping list for the Summer, I will be sure to look at those tents.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 08:31:28 pm »
Very helpful list of costs, Ian; looking forward to seeing the "After" upon your return. Truly destined to be a valuable resource for all who contemplate a similar undertaking; thanks!

Best,

Dan.

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2013, 11:46:45 pm »
Woah Dan, thanks for bringing this thread (back) up, I've never seen it before and I'm on here fairly regularly (aren't we all LOL). Now as Ian's fairly local to me I'm sure looking forward to what's coming next  ;D

Ian, all the best on your endeavour!

Robbie.
I'm here, there and everywhere.

il padrone

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 08:47:32 am »
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:53:12 am by il padrone »

ianshearin

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 12:53:18 pm »
Hi all,

Well Im back from my 3 Month tour, 2.5 Months early  :o
Some of the guys here joined my facebook page so know the story but to briefly let you know.
About a third of the way into France I received a message from the company I did my last contract with, they wanted some more work doing before paying out..... As I hadnt been paid yet and was relying on the cash to fund the trip I turned around and headed back home.
I have now done the work and find myself not wanting to retart the trip..... :-\

One thing I did find out was that I really didnt enjoy the camping part, I seemed to spend more time looking for a campsite and organising food, water etc than I did cycling. Not to mention the bike was so loaded up with the camping gear that it never really felt like cycling to me, more like pushing  ;D

Once I made the decision to turn back I mailed home some stuff, binned some stuff and blew my budget on B&b's. So each day I cycled as far and as long as I could and ended up in a nice hot bath with a cold beer and soft bed..... Now that part i did enjoy :)

The trip although cut short was still a wonderful experience and i am so glad I did it.

The future for me though is not cycle camping, it is undoubtedly credit Card touring......

To that end i am going to sell my Raven Tour and all gear and get myself a nice new Thorn Mercury for a LEJOG run in the summer.

Im sorry I cant really post my costs as I lost all track, all I can say is that is was a lot more expensive than i imagined  >:(

Thanks to all the guys that joined my facebook......
'shing xiong'

in4

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 01:41:55 pm »
You've certainly been on a voyage of discovery Ian, even if parts of it were not entirely to your liking. You could have done it all a la Jim Royal from the comfort of your arm chair but you didn't, you gave it a go and found what suits you better. Now, if you are Mercury minded, there is one on the SJS site with a quite a few euros off. If its your size it might have your name on it. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-mercury-580s-gunmetal-rohloff-sports-touring-bike-used-prod32698/

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 01:45:47 pm »
Ian

Sorry to hear about having to shorten the tour. I completely understand that looking for a campsite/food/water feeling. I just returned myself after 14 weeks round the North Sea. The first two weeks were indeed tough. The weight of full gear on the bike, getting used to the daily routine of finding a camp site and planning what to eat and where to buy it each day.

Starting off in Scotland was probably easier that if I had started in France. Being allowed to camp anywhere made the search for a camp site much easier. Also, in every village or town there was often a nearby campsite with showers and toilets. Asking in a cafe or pub would often result in an offer to camp in someone's garden of next to the pub!

Norway and Sweden also permit wild camping so it was similar there too. Being in more remote areas, it was a question of always carrying the basics of pasta, rice, bread, cheese. Each day as soon as a shop was found the daily needs were purchased. It became a habit always to buy food when passing a shop so that there was always something to eat. That removed one obstacle to enjoyment.

It was indeed tough along the coast in Norway with frequent pushes up steep fjord roads and zooming down the other side to sea level to begin another 250 - 300m climb again! I found it took the first two weeks in Scotland to get used to slowing down, enjoying the experience, getting fit, getting into the routine of planning ahead for meals, and to stop worrying about where I was going to pitch the tent. I was blessed with great weather most of the time which makes a huge difference. I ended up really looking forward to setting up the tent and cooking a good meal. I also lost the initial feeling of frustration at covering a relatively short distance with a heavy bike instead marvelling at what I was doing! It took a good two or three weeks to reach that point though.

I am sure that if you restarted a long tour, you would get used to everything after 2 weeks and then really start to enjoy the experience. I cursed and swore more than a few times in the first two weeks then something changed and (without getting too Zen about it!) I became more 'at one' with my Raven Tour and the countryside. I became part of the area I was passing through and a feeling of calmness took over from the frustration.

I did feel a bit frustrated after returning to England where, especially in the South, real camp sites were hard to find. People were more in tune with an urban life style and rushing around. They looked at me as though I was mad. I of course had to that point been spoilt by the quality camp sites and food on the continent. Over there it was as though you were mad if you did not cycle!

So, maybe a second trip before you sell your Raven Tour? I would suggest the North of Denmark (Jutland) where the country is great, fairly flat, there are lots of cycle tourists, good camp sites and free camp shelters in the state forests. Scandinavia North-West Germany and the Netherlands too were ideal for cycle touring.

Thought I would add my experience so that you may reconsider selling the Raven Tour. Its a great bike and deserves a second chance.

But then you gave it a go which is more than some do ... no shame if the touring and camping route is not for you whatever you decide.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:26:40 pm by StuntPilot »

jags

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013, 02:17:24 pm »
Ian since we last spoke i have sold all my gear bike included basically the lot.
I'm not a lover of camping either especially in that akto super tent ::)
the cycling i loved never found it hard to ride the bike loaded up, bit tough on hills OK but other than that i was strong enough riding at my own pace.
no what put me off touring was bad memories not all bad but the bad one were whoppers enough to put anyone off touring ;D ;D
i had  great intentions of buying myself the Audax frameset with front carbon fork but alas it turned out to be out of my budget.
the credit card touring would not intrest me to be honest if you were going that route you might as well but the lightest carbon bike you can afford, but going credit card your nor not going to meet people or have the craic as you would doing loaded touring that's a fact.anyway Ian sorry it didn't work out as you were hoping maybe next time. ;)

il padrone

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2013, 03:23:18 pm »
Sad to hear that you had a bit of  a trying time in France Ian. At least you can chalk it up as a learning experience, all good fodder for the tales to tell the grandkids (or the nurses at the old folks home). You can go on from here to discover and enjoy another style of cycling. One of the real beauties of cycling as a pursuit is that it is possible to enjoy it in so many different guises. The racing world is not for me, but I do love my loaded touring and I have a penchant for the world of classic and vintage bikes. Others love their triathlons or jump on a MTB and fly down a ski trail at ridiculous speeds. Enjoy what pleases you most.

I found it took the first two weeks in Scotland to get used to slowing down, enjoying the experience, getting fit, getting into the routine of planning ahead for meals, and to stop worrying about where I was going to pitch the tent.

When touring through new lands and getting fit to travel this is the most important thing to remember. Sometimes hard if you travel with those who pace themselves to a different beat.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 04:07:23 pm »
All congratulations, Ian, on your Inner Voyage of Discovery and good to have you back with us again.

We all find our own way in cycling and touring and the world is better for it; how boring if all were the same!

You'll soon find your niche and have wonderful memories to recount in the years to come.

All the best,

Dan.

revelo

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 07:12:27 pm »
As I recall from my years of hiking in France (that's was over 6 six ago, however), just about every small town has a campground nearby. Mostly I wild camped in France, but that's because I was hiking and thus finding a stealth site is easy. Also, I only carry a lightweight tarp and bugbivy, which don't give much privacy, which makes campgrounds unpleasant. If I were bike touring in France and carrying a full tent, I would probably rely more on campgrounds. In France, campground are typically very nice (lush vegetation). Spain (other than certain parts of far northern Spain, like Basque country and near the Pyrenees) and Greece are another story--campgrounds there are often nasty (gravel ground, no trees, blazing hot in the summer).

In my experience, being ready and willing to camp makes things vastly easier in France in the summer months. Without camping gear, you either have to make hotel reservations in advance or else hope for a vacancy. If no vacancy then you have to keep on riding to the next town, and that can get stressful very quickly. With camping gear, you just pop down to the local campground if there is no vacancy at the hotel. Campgrounds almost always have vacancies for hikers/bikers (not necessarily
for automobiles/caravans). Campgrounds typically would be under 10euro, whereas the only hotel room available might easily be over 100euro.

I wouldn't sell your Raven and give up on camping yet. Also, you should probably start out with tenting at campgrounds before trying to wild camp. I've spent over a thousand nights camping, in all sorts of conditions, and currently spend almost half of each year wild camping, so it's very easy for me. But it takes time to get comfortable with it, especially dry camping (99% of my camps are dry, meaning away from water sources).

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 07:36:38 pm »
Hi Ian, I was one of those who joined your Facebook page and enjoyed reading about your trip.
Thanks for all the info. And being honest about your future plans.
As someone who aspires to follow in your tire tracks, all your comments are pertinent.

I have a Raven as well and find it a great ride for all purposes. Guess there are lighter and faster bikes but I like the solid feel of the Raven.
I wish you well for the future.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

ianshearin

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 07:42:59 pm »
Ah thank you guys for the wondeful words of wisdom....

To add to the story though, it wasnt always about finding campsites and food etc, I found in the mornings my long life of competitive sports, distance running, triathalons, Squash have taken their toll on this body, joints and muscles were complaining and with the extra weight I was carrying it was quite a mission just to get out the sleeping bag  :P there is only so much ibrufen one can take  ;).....
But also when I was heading back and b&bing it i really enjoyed the long days in the saddle knowing it would end with a hot bath and a cold beer....

I have found a new respect for you guys that cycle/camp but for me its cc touring in the future....
'shing xiong'