Community > Tandem Talk

New (To us) Voyager owners

<< < (3/3)

Gib:
Well just under a hundred extra miles which is not bad for an unfit middle aged man and an 8 year old, the only Low light being a dropped chain and the fact I didn’t have a tool kit sorted for the bike at this time. The chain was on the bike when we got it so no idea of the history (Unbranded ).

Recent work has been stripping , cleaning and installing alternative gear. So I have stripped her down to just the cranks, BB@s and eccentrics. Which were left in place they are smooth and at the moment I don’t want to find a horror story that means we miss the weather whilst waiting for parts or repair.

The headset was a bit graunchy but new bearings sorted that out other wise all threads were clean and didn’t need chasing. I have touched up a couple of scrapes with Hammarite (of the shelf red) which is close enough and have replaced the decals going from Yellow to Black, in fact this will be the first bike I have built where colour seems to play a part going for a Black and Red combo !!!

The wheels set has ben replaced and we now have Deore hubs (8 speed in BLACK) with Alex rims which were brand new with wear strips.

Ultegra old school rear mech  with Deore LX front and a new Shimano HG  chain I like these and they are cheap.

Brakes I have stuck with just canti’s, Deore DX levers and arms in RED. With Kool-Stop Salmon pads

No change as yet on the chain sets but we have already got a replacement  Stronglite middle and the outer is staring to wear so will need replacing at some point.

Pedals, my trusty Wellgo smoothies for me and on the rear a set of platform traps with Cinelli Kinks. My son likes them I am not sold as yet , they were cheap were as the power grips I used back in the early nineties are neither cheap or accessible in the UK these days. Time will tell.

The only other big change was the bars I used to ride Zoom Brahma Bars but these are unobtainable but i got a ridiculously good deal on a pair of Fasttracks which are all but the same.

Otherwise Tandem life is the good life.

PH:
Looking good.
I have workshop envy just from the cabinets  8)

Gib:
Just a very quick update to say Tandem life is good but the original purpose, extending our rides has largely disappeared as my son is quite happy to put the mileage in on his own. We still get out and about on this but I think it will probably be for sale at some point soon. In the mean time I have stripped both BB’s and the eccentric (which I was dreading) they all came out with no issue and just needed a quick clean and grease and they are back in . The only notable change has been on the brakes as I have taken off the V brakes which we had no issue with at all and replaced them with Magura Hydraulic rim brakes. In my past I used these and in the wet or when you need that big bit of braking they have the power. Managed to pick up a ¾ size pair of panniers which are just right for sticking bits and bobs in.

20210327_114401 by creativeq, on Flickr

20210327_091023 by creativeq, on Flickr

20210320_121225 by creativeq, on Flickr

20210320_121220 by creativeq, on Flickr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version