Author Topic: Dog complete 1700km bike ride - without bike  (Read 3248 times)

ians

Dog complete 1700km bike ride - without bike
« on: May 26, 2012, 05:39:26 pm »
They're going to take over the world....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-18218878

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Dog complete 1700km bike ride - without bike
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:46:05 pm »
Man, that's a long, long ways to be chased by a dog...

...persistent little beast!  ;D

Best (and looking on in absolute wonder!),

Dan. (who dearly loves dogs and all animals)

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 06:54:04 pm »
When I was in South America in 1997 I was followed for two days by a dog (see photo below).
He just tagged onto me at a small village and started trotting behind, must have smelled food in my panniers or something.
He followed me across the border between Chile and Argentina where the Chilean border officials asked me if it was my dog, because if the Argentinian border officials saw him they would shoot him! Well I had to try and explain in my more or less non-existant Spanish that he wasn't mine and I could do nothing about it. Anyway, they didn't shoot him.
I tried to get away from him by riding faster and even chucking the odd stone at him, and I thought I'd lost him, but later the first night after I'd set up camp, I opened the tent door and there he was lying outside!
So I called him 'Ripio' after the road surface, and he was still outside the tent in the morning, and settled into his easy pace behind me as I hit the road for the day.
Later that afternoon, I eventually reached a tarmac road and my speed increased and I had to wave goodbye to Ripio. He couldn't hack the pace, and I dropped him at last!
I often wondered where he went after that, if he made his way home or just hooked up with someone else.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:27:52 pm »
I was followed for two days by a dog
Ohhhhhhh, boy; my nightmare come true, Rual.  Since I was a kid, I've been incredibly soft-hearted toward animals (I had help, my whole family was the same way) and they sense it. We live(d) near the riverfront bike path, and generations of animals have been dumped by thoughtless owners who figure "someone will take care of them". We're the Someone. We used to joke the animals marked signs on the pavement like the rail-riding hobos did in the Great Depression so friendly homes (ours) could be easily found. One winter, a feral pregnant cat had kittens in the woodpile, and -- with a particularly bad case of walking pneumonia, mind you! -- I lay on the snow-covered ground for three hours, arm stretched out with fingers holding little bits of warm, fragrant chicken till I could lure and grab the (equally feral) kittens, who of course promptly bit me to the bone for my troubles. Eyedropper feedings of special formula and naps in my warm armpits got them tamed and ready for adoptive homes. There's been an endless string of stray, baby, broken or sick little animals and birds that get cycled (sorry) through here, and a little piece of my heart goes with them all.

I think my greatest fear isn't theft-motivated meth-addicts and pickup trucks full of bored and mischievous alcohol-fueled high school kids on Friday nights in small towns with no sheriff. Nope. It's...this. Especially if the animal was also hurt or sick.

Given the circumstances, you did all anyone could, and the little fellow likely did find and adopt someone else just as he did you. My neighbor Margaret has a cat like that. He appeared one day at her house, apparently out of nowhere. She finally caught on when she drove to the bank. She heard meowing as she left her car, wondering who would take a cat to the bank. She looked through the window and there was Mr Mittens, in the back seat. Apparently, he loves to hitch rides in cars and he loves people. He latched onto me on a recent walk and stuck like glue through two returns until I could deliver him to her personally. She is pretty philosophical about it, and figures she'll have him only awhile before he finds someone else, someplace else.

Thanks for the story and photo, Rual.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:43:08 am by Danneaux »

expr

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 08:59:32 am »
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1285438524

That's a fantastic story lads. This is our English springer spaniel whom is loved dearly, she has been with us for around 15 months now where she is now at upper echelon status within the family unit, having moved up from junior nightwatch (girl), to queen of the household. She has given us so much affection and love in return for such a small outlay.

Just yesterday we were up at one of my favourite rides called Mersey view/ forest hills in a place called Frodsham around 14 miles from where we live, this is a ride I like to do local on nice days, but sadly have to take "Molly" in the landrover when we both go. It looks out on to the Mersey basin where the river weaver joins it at Runcorn, which does actually pass through the town (northwich) where we live.

Molly is a fantastic inspiration to us all, and allways shares her affection for life. She goes everywhere I can take her when we go out, and she very much enjoys running alongside the bike. My boss has been great as she now comes to work with me everyday in the landrover. This has worked out great for me and just behind work is a large park where we have around four walks a day now.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:16:33 am »
Aw, Dave, those photos of Molly are enough to melt the heart. Lovely girl, and wonderful to meet this member of your family!

By any chance, have you considered a trailer or basket to take her with you on the bike?

Rixen & Kaul make a doggie handlebar bag for smaller breeds, and a quite-large carrier for the rear rack if needed.  See:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rixen-Kaul-Doggy-Handlebar-Bag/sim/B001CCJNJO/2
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=6195
http://www.velofred.com/product_info.php?products_id=853

My best friend for 16 years was a very doglike Norwegian Forest cat who was leash-trained. One of my greatest regrets is I didn't realize till very near the end of his life how much he enjoyed car riding. He loved it and was better than most human car passengers above 125mph. I feel sure he would have taken to the bike with a proper carrier, and it would have been great having my pal along on day rides.

There's just no words to describe how much an animal companion can enrich one's life. I terribly miss having one now, but still feeling the loss of RKitty seven+ years later and present circumstances preclude it. I hope to do more travel in future, and that wouldn't be fair to an animal left behind, even with great care assured in my absence.

Thanks again for posting the terrific Molly pics, Dave; good stuff indeed, and a great description of your favored ride. So glad she can join you at work and play!

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:27:45 am by Danneaux »

expr

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 09:42:55 am »
Thanks Dan, you've brought a smile to my face. When I was around 14 at home we had a small west highland white terrier who went everywhere with me on bike (like it or not) hahaha. I fabricated an appropriate sized carboard box with suitable airbag.... umm I mean blanket wow "did I invent the airbag"  hmm may be not, and off we went ears pinned back from blasting down our local town hill at a cruising speed of woooshh... where we use to go and meet my mum in town. ohh what fun we use to have, it really was a great time.

I really must relive my youth and look at getting a trailer or even better making something myself, I do allot of plastic welding at work and home so I could really get to grips with making something custom there perhaps. I have a friend at work who has a Norwegian forest cat and he often tells me about the games they get up to which are akin to doggy like behaviour.

I was going to take her up snowdon yesterday but felt it would be a little hot for her so I'm going to wait for better day, I've been up a few times now but haven't had the chance to take Molly as yet.

Thanks for your kind words Dan

Dave.

ians

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 12:14:50 pm »
OK - while we're doing a show and tell - here's my late Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  Now chasing squirrels in the big woods in the sky.

ians

expr

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 03:37:59 pm »
Absolutely fantastic,  great pic.  I reckon we should get everyone to "show their pets" so to speak....and the funny things they do.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 04:29:27 pm »
My, Ian...what a photo and what an incredible companion!

They never leave our hearts, do they? (and thank goodness they don't...).

Thanks so much for sharing the photo. I agree, Dave, a little pet gallery would be a nice Muppets thread. I've just placed a link...

All the best,

Dan.