Author Topic: Topeak Peak DX 2 @ TK Maxx  (Read 2343 times)

in4

Topeak Peak DX 2 @ TK Maxx
« on: May 05, 2012, 02:49:29 pm »
http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/peakdx2_silver

I got one of these for £7.99 from TK's today. Seemed like a good price to me.

Andre Jute

Re: Topeak Peak DX 2 @ TK Maxx
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 02:39:22 am »
The Topeak Peak DX is my mini pump of preference too. In my experience it is the only mini pump that actually works, as the others have a strange reluctance to pass air. -- Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:34:15 am »
Thanks for the recommendations, fellows!

I've had really stellar luck with Crank Brothers' original PowerPump (black, free as a prime for buying something else). It is light, compact, and the hi-volume/high-pressure switch really does work. I managed to hammer 7bar into a narrow tire with it once (once!...after which my arms fell off) and it works great on touring tires. Yes, it takes about a million strokes, but they're short and easy, and it seals airtight on either Schraeder or Presta valves. It fits nicely inside my Ortlieb medium underseat bag, and provides an emergency backup. See: http://www.crankbrothers.com/pumps_powerpump.php

Back in 1991, I was touring Oregon's Diamond Peak Wilderness Area when Dad got a flat at 1890meters on Emigrant Pass. I repaired the flat and pumped his tire for him (it was the week before his 74th birthday), stood up to congratulate myself on a job well done and...stepped back across my Silca Impero frame-fit pump, breaking it in two. Of course, I had a flat later that trip, and if he hadn't also had a pump I'd have been out of luck. Lungs alone won't do the job.

Ever after, I've carried a spare pump for all my solo tours in case something happens to the main frame-fit one. It isn't ideal, but far better than stuffing the tire casing full of fresh sagebrush every kilometer or two and going lumpty-lump as I slowly kill the rim.

Something like the Topeak Peak DX would be an ideal "second pump" in the back-of-beyond, too.

Best,

"Belt and Suspenders!" Dan.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:36:39 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 06:10:02 am »
What makes the Peak DX so good is that the head takes both automobile and Presta valves without disassembly and reassembly, and that it works with both narrow high pressure tyres and fat low pressure tyres requiring a large volume of air. A very versatile pump if you carry a pump mainly for the benefit of pedal pals. I haven't had a flat in ten years, and wouldn't fix it beside the road if I did.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 06:37:26 am »
I haven't had a flat in ten years...
Nooooooo! No, Andre! Don't say that, else you'll invoke the Curse O' the Airless and will experience one soon.  It's like washing the car and having it rain; nevermind that correlation doesn't imply causation, y' daren't risk it, Man!

But while we're at it, what is the secret beyond your Schwalbe balloon tires...or is that enough?

Wowed and impressed (by your audacity, if nothing else; brave man!),

Dan.