Author Topic: Stoopidity  (Read 1738 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Stoopidity
« on: May 04, 2012, 04:15:08 am »
So.

Sherpa gets to live in the house in a place of honor against the fireplace mantle, while the other bikes are in the stable er, garage. 

It may be going to his head.

Today, I placed him on his Click-Stand to undo his chain preparatory to changing his cassette to one with a different progression.

I guess I wasn't paying complete attention, because after I blocked-up his brakes, I didn't notice setting his rear tire atop the corner of the newspaper I spread to catch any chain oil as I removed it, and...

He fell.

The tire skidded out on the newspaper and down he went. He came out alright, but I can't say the same for the hand-finished pegged-and-planked red oak flooring.

Besides one spectacular skid mark, there's several small dents and one large divot by the fireplace bricks.

And, I managed to re-tear the tricep that was just beginning to heal nicely. For just a moment, I thought I could defy the laws of physics and leverage and catch him from the offside as he went down.

Sigh.

Well, Sherpa escaped with a very slightly rotated brake lever (put right) and not a single mar, thanks to the smooth hardwood surface. The glass doors on the fireplace escaped a shattering experience, and the custom brickwork jumped out of the way just far enough as Sherpa came down hard. My tricep got tested, I can get the skidmarks off the floor (though they do add a certain exotic flavor, as if I had gotten drunk and made donuts with a Harley as I rode it through the livingroom), and I think I can halve the divot with some careful steaming (I know how).

A moment's inattention, a monument to stoopidity.

Best,

Dan.

julk

Re: Stoopidity
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:16:01 am »
Dan,
Commiserations.

Hope your shoulder heals up soon.

Sounds like Sherpa escaped with just a surprise.

Nice hardwood floors acquire character over their lifespan, I have a large extension with an Afromosia floor.
I built a couple of sailing dinghies in this room screwing the upside down frames to the floor in the early stages of construction…
Julian.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:20:04 pm »
Glad to hear your bike's okay, Dan. Can I borrow it while you're off, healing?

(I know, I know, real sensitive. I've been mixing with techies too long!)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:48:14 pm »
Thanks, Julian, for the kind words of commiseration; very much appreciated. You're a true gentleman, as always.

Reading your sympathetic and empathetic account, I would imagine the screws never drove so easily as they did then. That's always the way!

It seems I do such things periodically and always afterwards wish I could wind-back the clock to a moment before the precipitating event but alas, it is not to be. Well, it could have been far worse, and the bike wasn't hurt, so that's some consolation. And you're right...the house and floor have a little added character as a result.

I love you too, Andre! Reminds me of the friend who, upon hearing the planned itinerary for my last tour asked, "Dan, since you'll not be coming back, can I have your torch and tools? You've taken good care of them...".   ;D  I feel better already!

Thanks, fellows; you make the Forum a great place.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:41:35 pm by Danneaux »