Author Topic: Ortlieb Bike Packers Sport Packers Questions....  (Read 9521 times)

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
Ortlieb Bike Packers Sport Packers Questions....
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:09:01 am »
Ahhhh! Last minute Panic! The bicycle side of my trip has been sadly neglected as I deal with the admin.
I currently have Ortlieb Rear Classic Panniers. No problems at all with them. However since getting a rack pack I've noticed it's a pain in the neck to get into them with the Rack Pack laying across the top.
Before my tent and mattress were in a drybag laying the length of the rack rather than across.
So I've just been looking into the Bike Packer Plus with top openings and side pockets. Has anyone got any experience of using these with a rack pack, can you get into them without having to undo the rackpack???
Any other suggestions / alternatives appreciated.

Also does anyone know if you can use the sport packers with a lowloader front rack. I believe I read somewhere they sit higher than usual?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

il padrone

Re: Ortlieb Bike Packers Sport Packers Questions....
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 01:34:24 pm »
You will be able to get into the side slit pockets, but less easy to get access to the main compartment. I just undo the ocker straps for my rack bag on the (usual) one time a day I need to get in to them - at lunchtime to get out my mess kit and less often, the stove. Mos of my quick access items are in my front panniers or the handlebar bag. If it's just some pocket space you need it'd be cheaper to get some of the clip-on Ortlieb pockets. I have four of these and love them.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:56:39 pm »
Cheers forgot about the add on pockets, although by the time you buy four they are not that much cheaper than a new set of panniers  ;)
I've just ordered a pair.
I'm also going to look at changing the hanging height on my rear panniers and see if they can be used as front ones.

il padrone

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »
I have the front Sportpacker Classics and they sit on my Tubus Tara and Duo racks with no problems. The only reason they sit a tiny bit higher than the Front Rollers is because they are a larger capacity bag. Their domed cap-tops are great for slipping the rain jacket or the warm-up tights underneath when on the road.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 03:21:00 pm »
Another angle I hadn't thought about. Yes just the ability to "poke" something in at the top would be ideal.
I've got my eyes on a used pair on ebay, just seeing if he can send them out quick enough.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:38 pm »
Hi Richie!

I have made a number of in-depth posts about the Ortlieb Packer-series panniers. I showed how best to use their inner pockets and the advantages of packing into their cap-tops, starting in September 2011, and adding photos of how they can be packed in subsequent posts.

You can see them and my explanations on how I use them over time here:
September 18, 2011:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3753.msg16118#msg16118
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3753.msg16119#msg16119
December 7, 2011:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3852.msg16737#msg16737
December 9, 2011:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3852.msg16757#msg16757
September 16, 2012:Photos of the inner pockets and cap-tops in use, here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4523.msg23055#msg23055

Rather than buying and adding pockets, if you find yourself needing more space, as I sometimes do, it may well be as cheap to pick up a second set of Ortlieb BikePacker (rear) bags for use on the front racks instead of SportPackers (front) with pockets. The rear bags include the roll-top envelope side pocket (a great place to keep toilet paper dry and accessible, by the way) and have built-in lateral compression straps so the bags can be taken-in with less than full loads.

The rear bags' mounting rails are wider/longer when viewed left-to-right, and this can be used to advantage on the front, adjusting the hooks so you can place the bags farther rearward and thus closer to the steering axis for less "wheel flop" at low speeds and when parked. From mounting hook to lower scuff-rail, the BikePackers (rear bags) extend downward 30mm more than the SportPackers (front bags). In practice, I have not found this to be a problem wrt hitting curbs and such (any of my bags can scrape a high curb, so I stay away from curbs...especially in tunnels where they seem to be unusually tall and -- trust my sad experience on this -- a fall can be particularly bad. Especially if it takes place 'round a blind corner in the tunnel. Not a good place to be sprawled in the middle of a traffic lane with heavy semi-truck traffic approaching). When packed full, the rear bags are wider (thicker than the fronts, but the frontal area of the bicycle is pretty well fixed by the widest bags on the bike anyway, so I have not found it to make any net aerodynamic difference.

Remember, packing at home with the luxuries of time and warmth is one thing...everything can be put "just so" and crammed into the tiniest of places for greatest efficiency. Out on tour, when you're cold, wet, and hungry, you can't always take time to break-down food packaging, and it is nice to sometimes grab a whole loaf of bread "for later". Too hot in that fleece jacket? Rather than carefully folding it to minimum size, it can be far faster and more convenient to simply cram it in the bag, snap the lid shut, and go. As much as I value making things as small and light as possible, convenience and speed play a role as well, and it can sure mean a lot to cram things in and get off before the storm breaks or to get an early start. On a long trip to exotic places, a person...well, one collects "stuff" -- souvenirs, mementos, gifts for friends, freshly picked-up care-packages and mailed-ahead items.

That extra space from large bags can surely come in handy on a long, long tour.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:47:17 am by Danneaux »

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 06:06:13 pm »
Can I just check Dan, that both the sport packer and the bike packer will work ok with low loader front racks?
My rear ortliebs I have now are too "long" and hit the ground when cornering.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:10:10 pm »
Absolutely agree about having more room in the bag than you need from a packing point of view. My Mountain Hardware down bag WILL fit in the stuff sack that comes with it but I immediately swapped it for a slightly bigger one. It squashes to the same small size when other things are squeezed with it into the final dry bag.
 I've now read all the posts you mention above and can't believe I've never tried the envelope packing trick. I've actually put velcro on mine to hold them in place so they don't pull out and ruin any maps I have in them.
Damned real world getting in the way of fiddling with bicycles. I think my bar bag is not the biggest! This will never do. Bought used so not sure of litreage. Mine is pvc no pockets. 25cm across 15.5cm at the deepest.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 08:53:44 pm »
Can I just check Dan, that both the sport packer and the bike packer will work ok with low loader front racks?
Hi Richie!

I just went out where the Nomad is standing by the fireplace in its rear-wheel stand, and mounted both bags ont he front racks. Keep in mind I am running 26x2.0 Schwalbe Duremes and Thorn Low-Loader MkV front pannier racks.

With the bike vertical, the (front) Ortlieb SportPacker Plus bags clear the ground by 8in/20.3cm. The (rear) Ortlieb BikePacker Plus bags clear the ground by 6-7/8in/17.46cm -- roughly 30mm less.  Most city curbs here in the 'States run between 6in/15.24cm and 6.5in/16.5cm tall. For what it's worth, even the large bags do pretty well at skimming the sagebrush when I bushwhack cross-country in the deserts of the Great Basin. I won't ride in water deep enough to wet the bottom bracket or hubs (and put my cranks horizontal to save the pedal bearings in shallow water), but it is worth noting a good part of the bottom of these bags can get wet and cause no problems. These cap-top Packer-series bags are waterproof for all ordinary use, but they cannot be submerged and remain dry inside. But, then, the bike and bearings really shouldn't be submerged, either, no matter how cool it looks in photos. A person will pay for the fun later in greatly reduced bearing life...which will manifest at the most inconvenient time in the most remote place.

So, yes, both these bags work OK with my front racks and tires size combo. I usually use the SportPacker/BikePacker combo, but will also go the BikePacker/BikePacker route when I need more room, being mindful of the actual weight limits for the front fork and racks mounted there. The larger bags are for added bulk, not weight. Same for the HB bar bag...I carry light and light/bulky stuff there I need to reach quickly or take with me (papers, ID, cash, credit cards, meds, toothbrush and paste so I'll actually use them, ultralight wind jacket, caps/hats, etc), keeping the total weight down around 5-6lbs/2.3-2.7kg max.

My rear ortliebs I have now are too "long" and hit the ground when cornering.
:o Yikes! Keep in mind that large (rear) bags mounted on the front will be wider when filled than a set of front bags. "Wider" means "less clearance" if you're into cornering deeply when touring. You'd have to by tilted over at low-roadie levels to scrape a bag. I just filled the BikePacker to maximum capacity/width with a combo of cardboard boxes and some fleece jackets, then tilted the bike with one of my frame-building angle-finders. It turns out the outer bag corners strike the ground at exactly 40° from vertical, about 5° past where the tires would be "planted". That's pretty far, but I've been that low unladen on past road bikes; it is right on the edge of having the tires slip out, and you can feel them chatter and slip out from under, even with slicks on the smoothest of pavement; I've fallen trying it in my misspent youth. 'Wouldn't want to try it with a full touring load.

It is also possible you might find yourself in situations where you are "ditch-running", and low-mounted front bags could clip the edges of the channel in which you're riding. There was one account I saw a few years ago, of riding across Siberia in springtime snowmelt and bog where this was a problem. Not common, but it can happen. I couldn't see it made much difference, as it was impossible to ride and the bkes were having to be pushed and were already half-submerged in mud and muck.

Touching on your initial question at the top of this thread...
Also does anyone know if you can use the sport packers with a lowloader front rack. I believe I read somewhere they sit higher than usual?
Richie, it is the cap-tops of these bags that sit higher than usual, standing proud above the rack. This has caused me to revise my own rear rack packing scheme, 'cos when the rear bags are full-up, they create a valley between them. This isn't a problem if you place only one "log-roll" of luggage lengthwise (longitudinally) atop the rear rack. It can cause a problem if you place things crosswise. In those circumstances, I just fill the valley with my tent, which creates a level surface along with the full rear bags and cap-tops. The dry sack with my sleeping bag, pad, silk liner and pillow just goes crosswise. For discussion and photos, see: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1998.msg16833#msg16833

I hope this helps, Richie; any other questons, just give a shout. You're in that awful last-minute frenzy where everything needs to happen at once, so if there's anything we can do to ease the selection process, let us know.
Damned real world getting in the way of fiddling with bicycles.
I know! My biggest complaint!
I think my bar bag is not the biggest! This will never do.
Gotcha covered there. See: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4523.msg22707#msg22707 with pics. It is an argument for getting 1.5l more capacity at a cost of only 20g/.7oz. Bargain! The next couple posts after that go back and forth on mounting it right the first time.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:26:15 am by Danneaux »

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 11:03:00 am »
Ummm. I've just received my 2.0" Duremes but I can't see them making that much difference. I'm not fussed about the clearance on kerbs or ruts so much. Just the cornering.
Yes in an ideal world I would have bike packers front and rear and compress the fronts when not used so much and open them up for melons, bread and that extra bottle of home made hooch I will no doubt be given.
I'm off to put the tyres on and try again. My Nomad is a MK1 Rohloff 587L. But that shouldn't make any difference.
I certainly do not consider myself as a fierce cornering kind of a guy. Motorbikes yes :o (if something doesn't scrape or spark you're not doing it right), but not on the loaded Nomad.
I remember looking at the Packers last year and something put me off. I think it was the extra expense for not much extra literage.
I wasn't planning my super long trip then. I also didn't have a rack pack. I think I'm sold now.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:57:49 am »
Before fitting the Duremes I had another whizz round the car park with my Rear Rollers on the MK5 Low Loader rack. Normal riding and cornering is fine. It is when I do a slow tight u-turn that the the front outer corner of the bag hits the ground.
Whilst I have to put some effort into doing this manoeuvre it's hardly that unusual for me to do a tight u-turn in a car park etc. From my point of view if I can make the bag hit the floor even once, its too many times. It won't take too many hits to wear a hole in the bag. I think I'll fully load the bike to see if it's as easy with all the weight on.
Other factors that might just add those extra mms on for clearance are: My testing weight is a 5kg bag of sand. This sags the bottom of the bag. I tried a piece of timber in the bottom of the bag to flatten it and then added the weight and it did help. Also, I'm not using any inserts in the clip-on part of the bag. That's a few more mms. Add the Duremes and it could all add up to just enough. The tests continue.

il padrone

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 01:20:29 pm »
The best way to get extra load-carrying space  ;)

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 04:28:45 pm »
I may well go the trailer rather than the extra wheel route when I pick up my stray dog for company :)
Rain has stopped play here. The Duremes are on but its been too wet to test the u-turning. I have ordered a pair of bike packer plus though. Along with the extra pockets and my Highlander Troon Dry Duffle Bag I definitely have enough bag space now :D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 05:00:36 pm »
I definitely have enough bag space now
I think so, and then some!

Hi Richie,
if I can make the bag hit the floor even once, its too many times.
<nods> Yes, I agree...I think your bag-strike with the big bags up front is likely due to the whole combination of factors. Number One in the list, I think, is the nature of the load. If it is small and concentrated, it will bulge the bottom of the bag so it is effectively much lower (the bag becomes shaped like a water drop about to fall when viewed from below). Plus, there's no spacer blocks, and you're right, that's a few extra mm as well.

I heartily agree, one bag-strike of this sort is too much. To have it happen when you weren't expecting it would be the worst possible thing, as your weight and the bike's would pivot around the front rack on that side, placing it under undue strain.
Motorbikes yes Shocked (if something doesn't scrape or spark you're not doing it right), but not on the loaded Nomad.
Agreed as well, and just as heartily!

I do think you're all set for space now, Richie.

All the best,

Dan.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 10:19:47 am »
Il Padrone, after reading Dans new project post I now see your extra wheel in a whole new light.
Just got to work out where the doggy is going.