Author Topic: New Raven build -- advice sought  (Read 103358 times)

djd828

Re: New Raven build -- advice sought
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2016, 01:26:56 pm »
Thanks Andre, Dan and John,

As usual, a lot of info to digest.  The Raven frame has been despatched and it should arrive in the U.S. soon so I will wait until I receive it to check on the measurements for the fenders.  I am glad to hear that Thorn has the brazed-on daruma...that was actually going to be my next question as many of the metal fenders seem to require this type of connection.

Dave

Andre Jute

« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2016, 11:25:17 pm »
What is a "daruma"? Is it a hollow fitting, or is it a fitting that fits through a hollow tube or, more, precisely, a fitting that makes attachment to a hollow tube possible?

John Saxby

« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2016, 04:20:42 am »
What is a "daruma"?

The latter, Andre; you've figured it out. Here's an example of the item, this one from Velo Orange: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/fenders/vo-fork-crown-eye-bolt-for-fenders-and-racks-fork-crown-daruma.html

It's a fair question, though.  When I first saw reference to it, I thought it was maybe a typo from "Warum?", given the heavy Teutonic influence in our forum. Then I wondered if maybe it was a yoga posture. But then I saw that it was also sold by Compass Bikes in Seattle for fastening alloy fenders, so concluded it was indeed a Real Thing, with its own well-defined (if not understood by all) purpose in life.  I'm still not convinced by it--it looks like the fender-fastening equivalent of the baffling trick of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps--but it is sold by reputable firms, and Thorn thinks enough of it to build one into their steerers, so whaddoeyeknow?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:22:33 am by John Saxby »

Andre Jute

« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2016, 04:27:02 am »
You learn something new every day. Thanks, John.

John Saxby

« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2016, 03:26:55 pm »
At some point (soon?), when I begin to de-clutter my mental closet, "daruma" will be stuffed into the near-to-overflowing box labelled "Esoteric bits, value unknown" ;)

djd828

« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2016, 10:05:04 pm »
Getting really close now...that was extremely fast shipping!:

rualexander

« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2016, 11:35:47 pm »
No headset fitted?

djd828

« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2016, 12:14:27 am »
No headset fitted?
No, I had them remove it and send it loose.  I have a Chris King ready to install.

Installed the BB tonight and the cranks and checked the chainline which seems to be dead on with the 126mm spindle length.....have to give White Industries some credit for the recommendation because I took a chance buying that in advance.  Waiting on a stem to arrive and I'm ready to complete the build.

I did end up getting the 58mm 650b fenders and I am a bit concerned they will just fit inside the fork....a little shaping may be necessary.  So far so good with my component choices.  I am sure I may run into an issue and have to have a second option lined up.....I'm just hoping it's not the fenders.  Oh well, I may have to pay the price for being impatient.

Next post with pics will (hopefully) be the final build.

Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2016, 12:50:02 am »
Next post with pics will (hopefully) be the final build.
Waiting with greatest interest for some Gallery entries!

Sure glad the frame arrived so quickly. It is a real beauty; the red simply glows.  :)

Best,

Dan.

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2016, 12:09:45 pm »
Nice! Looking forward to seeing the final steed :)
I'm here, there and everywhere.

mickeg

« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2016, 12:30:07 pm »
...  Waiting on a stem to arrive and I'm ready to complete the build.

I bought an adjustable stem years ago.  I usually build up a new bike with the adjustable and do not make final decisions on which stem to buy until I have ridden a hundred miles or so.  Then I order the exact one I need. 

I usually do not cut the steerer tube.  But I did on my Nomad since that is an S&S bike and I wanted it shorter for packing.  But I waited for hundreds of miles before I cut it.  Then I intentionally cut it long as that is better than cutting it too short.  I later cut it two more times to make sure I did not cut it too short.

I do not know if you plan to use a handlebar bag or not, but if you do, using the Thorn accessory bar or a second stem can mount the bag lower.  But you need more steerer tube for that.  The photos are of my Sherpa with 2nd stem and short piece of PVC pipe.  On my Nomad I use the Thorn Accessory bar, 55mm.

Andre Jute

« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2016, 05:49:53 pm »
Love that red frame.

Getting a few centimetres of elevation if you've sawn the steer tube short can be very expensive. Accessory bars can be mounted above as well as below the stem.

djd828

« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2016, 02:44:35 am »
I did get the accessory bar but still not sure if I want to use it with a traditional handlebar bag or if I want to get a Bedrock or Revelate roll for the front of the Jones Loop bar. 

I won't do anything wth the length of the steerer tube until I have ridden it for a while.

I have done a little work on it since I got it yesterday....installing the BB and cranks, seatpost and seat and brake levers, shifters and some bar tape on the handlebar.

I will have my LBS do the majority of th build as I don't have anything to press the headset and I don't want my first foray into bike building being something this high end. 

I hope to take everything to the LBS next week and hope it is all together by th end of the month at the latest.

jags

« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2016, 12:25:50 pm »
Ah theres no fun it that build it yourself .
bartape is usually the very last gem to fot ,kinda says Yeah baby your ready to rock. 8)

mickeg

« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2016, 05:21:42 pm »
I did get the accessory bar but still not sure if I want to use it with a traditional handlebar bag or if I want to get a Bedrock or Revelate roll for the front of the Jones Loop bar. 

I won't do anything wth the length of the steerer tube until I have ridden it for a while.

I have done a little work on it since I got it yesterday....installing the BB and cranks, seatpost and seat and brake levers, shifters and some bar tape on the handlebar.

I will have my LBS do the majority of th build as I don't have anything to press the headset and I don't want my first foray into bike building being something this high end. 

I hope to take everything to the LBS next week and hope it is all together by th end of the month at the latest.

I should have mentioned this earlier, when using bars or brake levers that I have not used before I usually do not put on bar tape until I have ridden it several times, that way I can get my brake levers exactly where I want them. But, I do not know if your cables go under the tape or not.

Much of this whole thing started with you asking questions about the eccentric.  Have you figured that all out by now?