Author Topic: New Raven build -- advice sought  (Read 103351 times)

djd828

Re: New Raven build -- advice sought
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2015, 03:03:56 pm »
Andre, as usual thanks for your detailed responses.  I did get a chance to peruse the Utopia website in more detail last night and do appreciate the work they put into their frames.  I, like you, appreciate good design and like the lug work on both the Patria and Utopia.  A couple  more questions concerning the Utopia Kranach

1) it seems from what you wrote, the parts that are installed on the Utopia are very specific. Does it still use a standard 68 or 73mm bottom bracket, does it have bosses for standard V brakes, does it have a standard headset size (i.e, can it accept a 1 1/8 Chris King), can it accept both an internal or external gear mech Rohloff?

2) from the little I could read or translate on the Utopia site, the Kranach is considered a long distance touring bike...I assume you would agree.

I do like the fact that it is an easier step through which is something that is more important to me with each passing day...it's not as easy swinging my leg over the top tube of my LHT as it used to be.

To further clarify my position on a frame choice, the Thorn was a front runner simply because of the great reviews it received and because it was easy to find and research on the WWW .   I am certainly not going to discount that but the great things about forums like this is that it exposes me to more possibilities and other considerations I should be thinking about.

With that said, I would certainly add the Kranach to my list but I fear the parts that I have accumulated for the build would be incompatible with the frame.  I know they will work with both the Thorn and the Patria.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:12:00 pm by djd828 »

djd828

« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2015, 03:25:33 pm »
in general, you may take it that German businessmen do not lie, exaggerate or bluster like Americans

Andre, please don't take this the wrong way, but I did have to chuckle a bit at your comment concerning German businessmen...as I have a 2015 VW diesel sitting in my driveway at the moment.  Still, I get your point and, in general, you are likely correct.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:27:53 pm by djd828 »

Andre Jute

« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2015, 06:21:47 pm »
A couple  more questions concerning the Utopia Kranach

You're welcome

1) it seems from what you wrote, the parts that are installed on the Utopia are very specific. Does it still use a standard 68 or 73mm bottom bracket, does it have bosses for standard V brakes, does it have a standard headset size (i.e, can it accept a 1 1/8 Chris King), can it accept both an internal or external gear mech Rohloff?

It's the other way round. Parts designed for Utopias and in particular the Kranich have become standards, for instance the taller, nylon-filled, premium BUMM lamp bracket. You may think it is a ridiculously small thing, but without the BUMM 471LH bracket, all your expensive lamp will light is the top of your balloon tyre; this is what I mean by obsessives: no detail too small to attract the full attention of a partner.

In general, you may assume that any standard part fits on the Utopia. Standard British-threaded bottom brackets fit (68mm). There are bosses for rim brakes but they need to fit around a very wide tyre -- there's no point in buying a Kranich, a bike designed from the ground up to use the Big Apple as its suspension, and then fitting tyres narrower than 47mm; I went for the full 60mm and am glad that I did. I use Magura HS11 rim hydraulics for their progressiveness; here is rare example of the standard part not fitting: the brake booster of the Magura setup is too narrow to fit the bosses on a fork wide enough to take a 60mm tyre, so Utopia makes their own wider brake booster but no one actually fits it because it wrecks the progression of the brakes and makes them nearly as sudden as disks, which I consider uncivilized. The HS11 are, ironically considering they are such superior brakes and so much in character with the bike, the standard no-cost, cheap, option on the Kranich and my understanding is that almost no one chooses the socalled "upgrades" or even the available oversize booster. Standard 1-1/8 headset; I have a Cane Creek S6 copy, built by Cane Creek for Humpert, which I imagine will see me out, which came as standard when my bike was built. I suppose you could fit a Chris King, but it requires special tools, and I don't know that the extra cost would be justified when you can get a Cane Creek S6 for a bargain (possibly already included in the price of the frame and fork) -- the S6 is the headset that created the Aheadset standard; it's a classic.

The Kranich is designed for the nearest thing to a straight cable run from the rotary control on the handlebar to the gearbox, with brazed inserts in the frame under the downtube for machined cable guides for the Rolloff, the rear brake and the rear lamp. Bare wires would just be exposed and cause trouble, I think, though you could no doubt rig up a fitting for them. In any event, I've never heard of a Kranich that was not built with the EXT fully enclosed transmission cable set. (I imagine the Utopia bosses take the same view as I do of the bare wire fad, that it is an unfortunate leftover from road bikers trying to save a gramme or two, and likely to cause trouble sooner or later.)

You can rest easy: A Kranich builds up with standard parts.

2) from the little I could read or translate on the Utopia site, the Kranach is considered a long distance touring bike...I assume you would agree.

Try putting the URL of Utopia into the classic version of Google Translate.

The Kranich is a heavy duty circumnavigator, if you want it to be, a bike you can really load up and it will still be stable. I use mine as a utility bike, a day tourer (usually loaded up with my painting gear in the pannier baskets), a shopping bike, a fast downhiller (the local roadies get nervous breakdowns about breaking their twee little bikes if they try to keep up with me on the rough lanes around here -- read my article about riding balloons fast on this board to grasp how awesomely fast this large tourer can be once the rider understands it just shrugs off the road). There are fittings for low loaders, racks for panniers, and the wheelbase is pretty long (my bike is nearly two meters long) so that you can carry large panniers without striking your heels. The thing is that like a Bentley Turbo, it isn't so much what the Kranich can and has done that you'll never explore, but the confidence all that extra capability inspires. (This is also a major selling point with the Raven -- you're probably not going to tour Patagonia, where the capybara, water rats the size of a calf, try to eat you, but the designer did and you could.) By the way, check out the frame weight and be amazed: in standard luxury touring trim (racks, electrics, everything you don't get on an American or British bike without paying extra) before water and luggage, the complete Kranich weighs 15-16.9kg -- that's what you get when you pay for special lightweight Columbus tubes. I have aluminium bikes from Gazelle and Trek that are heavier than the much bigger Kranich.

I do like the fact that it is an easier step through which is something that is more important to me with each passing day...it's not as easy swinging my leg over the top tube of my LHT as it used to be.

An excellent point. I was getting to be of an age when leg-over was inelegant and becoming dicier by the year. I'm glad I bought a low step-over bike or I would have had to replace it long since.

To further clarify my position on a frame choice, the Thorn was a front runner simply because of the great reviews it received and because it was easy to find and research on the WWW .   I am certainly not going to discount that but the great things about forums like this is that it exposes me to more possibilities and other considerations I should be thinking about.

Thorn is perpetually on my shortlist, even though (as I explained in a companion thread to Bill) rationally I know Thorn isn't going back into the business of lugged handbuilt bikes. But I hung out here before Thorn arrived on my shortlist for a very good reason: the Thorn designer proofs his own bikes, and he isn't a boutique jerk, like so many others. When Andy Blance specifies a part, you can be certain it's the least expensive part that is 110% guaranteed not to let you down.

With that said, I would certainly add the Kranach to my list but I fear the parts that I have accumulated for the build would be incompatible with the frame.  I know they will work with both the Thorn and the Patria.

Have no fear. With the possible exception of brakes you may already have that are too narrow to fit the Kranich fork and seatstay wishbone, and possibly if you've ordered rims too narrow for balloons (not a deal breaker), everything else will fit the Kranich straight off the shelf. Ah -- there is a small fly in the ointment: you need a 26.2mm seat tube but they give you one (suitable for Brooks saddles) with the frame, I believe, and I had no trouble buying one from my standard free delivery Irish component pusher, Chainreactioncycles.com. But some of the fancier ones, like a lugged Nitto that I really fancied when Julian bought one, don't come in 26.2mm.

I had a good chuckle at you having a VW diesel...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:04:23 pm by Andre Jute »

macspud

« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2015, 11:32:19 am »
About this new-fangled TIG brazing

My particular Kranich, now seven years old

Ah, I thought that your bike would have been TIG brazed, I misread, they have been learning & testing TIG brazing for 10 years but not using it in production for 10 years.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&u=http://www.utopia-velo.de/radratgeber/bau-der-stahlrahmen/wig-loeten-die-revolution/&usg=ALkJrhieuwaTRU8zbtW1aRu418GQPaDMMg

built with specially developed lugs and plugs. Plugs are in effect an internal lug. Where there is no external lug, the standard brazing is of such a quality and finish that the tubes appear to be cast as one piece.

Yes, the way they use internal lugs is really interesting, I can see why you like them.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&u=http://www.utopia-velo.de/radratgeber/bau-der-stahlrahmen/mit-und-ohne-muffen/&usg=ALkJrhi6kgLCkKTbXuUEsdPU0h60fhA8QQ

This change is necessitated because the Van Raam manufactory in The Netherlands has seen such a growth in their own designs (special adaptations for the handicapped) that they can no longer build the few Utopia bikes.

Yes, they've moved production to The Rainbow Industry company, a 9 year old company co-founded by Wim Höfmann, the previous frame building production manager of Van Raam.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.utopia-velo.de%2Fradratgeber%2Fbau-der-stahlrahmen%2F&sandbox=1

As I said, Utopia is a special taste. The SilberMowe (Silver Gull) is a throwback to the '60s roadbike doubling as a touring bike. The apparently thin top tube is merely apparent: that bike is specified for 160kg load, has been tested for it (standard Utopia practice -- they test everything).

Some of their testing and jigs.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&u=http://www.utopia-velo.de/radratgeber/die-montage-in-saarbruecken/pruefstaende-in-der-produktion/&usg=ALkJrhi1xyW_-Y8BJ2I9vWD7mJZfCe2-mw

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&u=http://www.utopia-velo.de/radratgeber/die-montage-in-saarbruecken/rahmen-gabel-bearbeiten/&usg=ALkJrhiW9QT5bDdxZwxhPzX7OFekI3vRLw

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&u=http://www.utopia-velo.de/radratgeber/die-montage-in-saarbruecken/laufradbau-bei-utopia/&usg=ALkJrhgZJudet_mUGzNxxH-ARKNOSGLR6g

There is interesting reading thoughout the Utopia site.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:43:15 pm by macspud »

Andre Jute

« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2015, 05:49:12 pm »
There is interesting reading thoughout the Utopia site.

With a Utopia, you're not just buying a bike, you're buying into a philosophy and a system (1), personified by all those amazing jigs and testing machines you give links to (2), and a family too, which meets once a year in a Sommerfest (a sort of Druid gathering without the human sacrifice) in the forest beside the factory, when you can rub shoulders with Bernd Rohloff and sing along with him around the campfire.

On the other hand, the Thorn forum is much, much livelier... We got Jags and Utopia ain't!

(1) Same with Thorn, except conducted in English rather than German. It's less easily seen with Thorn, because their bikes aren't overtly odd, but the principle of the designer knowing what is right, regardless of what the mainstream does, can be read on every single page of the Thorn literature; it's the whole raison d'être of Thorn. (What we discussed the other day in another thread on Thorn defining its niche is just the Harvard Business School version of the same story.)

(2) Some of that expensive work most Utopia owners will never see or appreciate in detail, because their bikes are serviced once a year by their dealers and owners are not encouraged to mess around. But I used to rebuild vintage Bentley, and turn postwar Rolls-Bentley into sports cars, and there's a similarlity of feeling in the smooth takeup of fasteners to the thread, the ease of aligning boltholes (no bodgers in my tool chest!), suchlike small things one only notices if one has experience of assemblies by oldtime master fitters and turners, you know, the chap in the photo standing next to your granddad with the oily hands and the emery cloth spilling out of the back pocket of his overalls. The wheels on my Kranich haven't seen a spanner since new and the spokes are as tight as the day they were built. For my bike's third or fourth birthday, I borrowed a tensiometer but was soon sorry, I was so bored by all these spoke tension readings matching the original computer-printed build record.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:30:44 am by Andre Jute »

John Saxby

« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2015, 09:21:02 pm »
Had a look at the website to see why people were craning their necks 'n' such -- those are splendid bikes indeed, with the attention to detail evident in the closeups.  I especially liked the look of the SilberMöwe, though I had to dig in my heels so's not to be easily gulled by the name. The special price of the SilberMöwe is very good, even by the currently wretched Cdn$/€ exchange rate.

Had I known about these bikes when I was looking at the Thorn line, I'd have given them serious consideration. A couple of considerations would probably weigh in favour of the Raven. One would have been Cdn duty (13%) on complete bikes; that additional cost, plus shipping, is then the basis for 13% sales tax here. (By buying my bike in parts, I avoided much of that extra cost.) The other is weight: My Raven weighs in at 13.6 kgs, nearly 3 kgs less than the SilberMöwe with similar equipment. The Utopia Roadster, also an attractive bike, falls between the two, but is also almost 2 kgs heavier than the Raven.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2015, 10:26:52 pm »
, the chap in the photo standing next to your granddad with the oily hands and the emery cloth spilling out of the back pocket of his overalls. 

The chap with the oily hands was my granddad!

Andre Jute

« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2015, 10:37:35 pm »
Is that a bullethole in the rear window of that car, Jim? Go on, tell us you had a bootlegger grandfather, and you know where his secret stash of soon-to-be 100-year-old bourbon is...

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2015, 11:01:13 pm »
  a bootlegger grandfather

er, that would have been the Chicago side of the family. 'nuff said!

djd828

« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2015, 12:10:54 am »
Another piece of the puzzle complete as I received my new Velocity Cliffhanger wheels back from the Wheel Department today.  They turned out extremely nice.  Mounting the tires though was a major ordeal, blood, sweat and tears....literally!  The last major piece of the build is still the frame and I am still going back and forth on that decision.  I am still heavily leaning toward the Patria Terra and have been discussing it in more detail with a German dealer the last couple of weeks.  I am going for a bit of a retro feel so I do like the lugs...kind of like Andre and his Utopia.

Andre, I did look at the Utopia but I don't really think I would go bigger than 50mm on the tires and it's very difficult finding someone that sells Utopia.  They also apparently don't respond to e-mails and the Patria factory has been very responsive.  Hopefully they are getting better with their customer service and product...though everyone I corresponded with that has a recent Terra has been very happy with the frame.

I wanted to thank everyone again for their help guiding me through this process.  Happy Holidays and hopefully my next post will include a photo of the complete bike.

Andre Jute

« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2015, 12:52:51 am »
Those are beautiful wheels. Looking forward to your complete bike, whatever it is.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2015, 03:57:08 am »
Hi Dave!

I agree with Andre, those are indeed beautiful wheels, and they will go well with whatever frame you choose. It is good to see your dream coming to fruition and it is always wonderful to spec and contemplate a new ride.

...and hopefully my next post will include a photo of the complete bike.

This is a good time to once again remind everyone the Thorn Cycling Forum is fully owned by Thorn Cycles and functions as a community for owners and prospective owners to gain information about Thorn bicycles and for mutual owner support after purchase and is a way for Thorn to provide technical support and sales notices through Dave Whittle of their Workshop.

In other words, Thorn kindly pays the rent on our little playground, so it would be unkind to openly promote directly competing models as one might do in a more general, third-party forum. Thorn designer Andy Blance has taken pains to avoid posting some key geometry numbers so he will not aid competitors; promoting competing brands on their Forum at Thorn's expense is akin to biting the hand that feeds, however unintentionally as I'm sure is the case here. I've let it go on so far because it does sometimes take awhile to narrow choices down to a Thorn over other marques. I know we've all been glad to help you in your quest and hopefully you will remember Thorn bicycles favorably regardless of your choice.

Most of us own more than one bicycle (I'll admit to a small fleet) and avoid discussing our "others" in detail for this reason. For example, though Andre has a Utopia, he has links to it offsite and generally limits his discussions here to matters common to all bikes, such as lighting, security options, Rohloff drivetrains, and pedelec conversions where the item happens to be mounted on his Utopia but could as well be used on a Thorn.

Most members realize this, though I will sometimes receive specific requests to endorse a competing model directly or post photos of a competitor. To be fair to everyone and to Thorn's interests, as Administrator, I must say "no" to all unless it is a Thorn or used as a way to illustrate a product under discussion that can be used on a Thorn or does not compete. Occasionally, a competing model will appear in the Bikes For Sale board so a prospective Thorn owner can fund a purchase, and this I generally allow.

With best regards,

Dan.

Danneaux
Thorn Cycling Forum Administrator
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:54:30 am by Danneaux »

rualexander

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2015, 08:02:48 am »
I notice that your Rohloff hub is the 'internal mech' version, but all images I have seen of the Patria Terra show it fitted with the 'external mech' Rohloff version.

jags

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2015, 09:55:41 am »
Now is it my eyes or what but those nipples look  onesides off centre,  should they not be straight?
remember Marc Beaumont had major problems with  spokes breaking because of this.just saying maybe my eyes are playing up. :o

mickeg

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2015, 02:19:30 pm »
Now is it my eyes or what but those nipples look  onesides off centre,  should they not be straight?
remember Marc Beaumont had major problems with  spokes breaking because of this.just saying maybe my eyes are playing up. :o

If you meant that the nipples look like they are perpendicular to the rims instead of parallel with the spokes, I think you are correct.  May be an issue down the road.  I wonder what the velocity warranty is?