Author Topic: New "Flat-Less" Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres for 2014  (Read 6067 times)

Neil Jones

Re: New "Flat-Less" Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres for 2014
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 07:32:20 pm »
I've just swapped my tyres over on my RST from my winter Marathon Plus to the Supremes. My average speed is up by 1mph but it feels much faster than that. Had 2 punctures in 3000 miles using Supremes, never had a puncture in 7000 miles using Marathon Plus, touch wood. I need bulletproof reliability on my 4:45am commute as I ride on unlit country roads which the Marathon's provide, yes they are heavy and feel 'dead' but they are the best at what they were made to do but as Jags says the Supremes are great tyres,
Neil.

David Simpson

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 07:46:03 pm »
Hi Neil --

My average speed is up by 1mph but it feels much faster than that.
Neil.

I'm curious about the faster "feeling".  What is it that makes it feel faster?  I have read that narrower, higher-pressure tires often feel faster because they have a harsher, less smooth ride.  Is that what you are feeling?  Or is it the acceleration?

Thanks,
Dave

Neil Jones

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 08:51:17 pm »
Hi Dave, well it's hard to describe really. The way I compare them is like this - riding Marathon Plus is akin to walking on dry sand whereas the Supremes are on wet sand if that makes any sense. The handling is much sharper and the bike is altogether more responsive. I don't think there is much difference comfort wise, maybe the Pluses have a slight edge. I think the Supremes encourage you to push that bit harder. Hope this makes some sort of sense,
Neil.

Neil Jones

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 08:56:30 pm »
Oh yes I forgot to say The Marathon Plus I'm using are 26x1.5 and the Supremes are 26x1.6, both run at 67psi front and 73psi rear.
Neil.

David Simpson

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 09:02:40 pm »
The way I compare them is like this - riding Marathon Plus is akin to walking on dry sand whereas the Supremes are on wet sand if that makes any sense. The handling is much sharper and the bike is altogether more responsive. I don't think there is much difference comfort wise, maybe the Pluses have a slight edge. I think the Supremes encourage you to push that bit harder.

Thanks, Neil.  Yes, that makes sense.

I wonder how much of the feeling is influenced by the sidewall construction.

- Dave

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 09:01:34 pm »
Neil, I completely concur with your comments about the Supremes. I swapped from a pair of Conti Travel CONTACTs in 35C to Supremes on my Trek 520, and they just seem to ROLL and TURN much better! I chalk it up to the tyre profile, sidewall construction and tread-sidewall transition. The Contis had a horribly square profile and unforgiving sidewall, but I also didn't know what I was missing until I switched.

On the subject of repeated punctures, in my own ham-handed experience, the skill of the practitioner has an enormous bearing on the longevity of the tyre/tube combination. I know it should go without saying, but it is absolutely essential to install the tube correctly (neat and even distribution around the rim, no pinch points, perfectly clean rim bed, high quality tube and rim tape, etc.). I have recently tried lightly dusting the tube with talcum powder before installing it in the tyre, as an aid in tube alignment during inflation. No flats yet!

I dunno what happened on my recent rail trail ride. My Victorian hosts all sagely agreed I must have collected a "bindi", but I could find no indication of it despite forensic examination of the tyre. On the other hand, I did find some sand grit, which may have entered during water crossings (?), or when it was being ridden while flat. I'll never know...

PS - The same wheel popped a spoke yesterday! Lightly loaded, at speed on some sharp bumps. It's hurt my pride as a wheel builder (first time), and brought me down to earth (not literally), but a good lesson nonetheless.  >:(

il padrone

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 01:24:15 pm »
Sorry great difficulty in believing that as doubt I have done that much on my Marathon plus tyres and they are ATB ie decent amount of tread. Certainly don't recall Big Apple having more tread.
 What is the "eh" about?

I have ridden 14,000kms on three pairs of Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres. That's 14,000kms on each, not total  ;D Current tyre is the Randonneur Pro and it has done 8,000kms so far - minimal signs of wear

Zero penetration punctures in any of them. I have had two or three flats, but on checking tyres and tubes these have each turned out to be a peeling patch from a previous era of punctures, or a small split in the tube, probably due to age as they have lasted so long.

BTW the 26x1.75" Rando Crosses weigh about 700g. Their performance is every bit as robust as the Marathon Plus IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:40:09 pm by il padrone »

Andre Jute

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 11:38:25 pm »
The Marathon Plus — and the workalike Bontrager Satellite Elite Hardcase (maybe made by Schwalbe for Trek?) I also have — offer in addition to a harsh ride a thumbreaking resistance to being put on the rim or being taken off again. I used to say that it was just as well they are puncture-proof, because I doubt that on the road I could have gotten them off or on again. Fitting them, accomplished on a work-table at a convenient height with several hefty tyre levers to hand, left me in such a sweat I had to take a shower...

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 10:19:30 am »
Hi All
This is the only way forward for cycling and for cycle touring too!

http://youtu.be/5jix_puHwh8

Happying Cycling  ;)

Kiwi Pete  8)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:21:04 am by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

Aushiker

• Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 09:17:51 am »
Hi All
This is the only way forward for cycling and for cycle touring too!

Maybe an Almotion might be a more suitable alternative ...

Andrew

NZPeterG

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 10:06:45 am »
Maybe an Almotion might be a more suitable alternative ...

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Yes your right, that is one of a load of good Tubeless Tyres and you just have to add a little Sealant.

Pete.....

sd

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 09:04:37 pm »
  Tubeless. If it is unrepairable due to a puncture what do you do?
I have used gunk before and it doesn't appear to be of any benefit. Have I been doing something wrong. IE do you keep on pumping up the tyres each time they go down until it eventually seals. The punctures when I used gunk seemed to be just as often.

NZPeterG

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 12:35:50 pm »
 Tubeless. If it is unrepairable due to a puncture what do you do?
I have used gunk before and it doesn't appear to be of any benefit. Have I been doing something wrong. IE do you keep on pumping up the tyres each time they go down until it eventually seals. The punctures when I used gunk seemed to be just as often.

Hi sorry for being so slow at getting back to you!

1st Gunk! their only a few that work! the main one being Stan's No Tube's.

2nd If you have a bigger hole in your tyre that the Sealant will not seal up? it's an easy fix! you just fit a tube, and ride on.

3rd On your day off you clean the inside of the tyre and put a patch inside! just like fixing a hole in a tube!

4th Cycling Tubeless is like Driving your car with Tubeless Tyre's! SAFER! and Almost all Car's Sold in the last 20+ years are Tubeless..  8)

So have fun and go riding  ;)

Kiwi Pete...
 8)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:38:42 pm by NZPeterG »

sd

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 07:07:47 pm »
I hope I remember this as I have still got 2 spare tyres and have only just fitted 2. Will definitely have them next.  Thank you for your time.  SD