Author Topic: Best Touring Stoves  (Read 13877 times)

AndyE

Re: Best Touring Stoves
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 05:38:15 pm »
"top stove
British army No7 (excellent super tough)"

Not really, real men take a trailer with a No 1 burner (hydra cooker)...

My current choice is a Primus Omnifuel in a Clikstand, usually used with gas canisters for convenience, but with an empty fuel bottle for when no gas is available.  Also fits in a Trangia for when I am not on my own or in really rough conditions.

But you can never have too many stoves!

No1 burner, 12"x12" and compo, that dose bring back some happy memories ;)

Andy

Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Bill C

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 09:43:28 pm »
real men take a trailer with a No 1 burner (hydra cooker)

lol real men would be needed to fit a hydra in a Bob Trailer,
btw have you been around one running?  i have and was scared witless of it, i was given one at the ccs stove meet in Newark as it was being left behnd, I had it about 5 mins then gave t to someone more deserving (and who wsn't scared of it)

My current choice is a Primus Omnifuel

i have an omnifuel, but i much prefer my Nova's only thing an omnifuel can do that a nova can't is burn cannister gas, but who in their right mind buys a 130-150 quid stove just to use canned gas  in it? panel wipe is much much cheaper than gas, plus you can check how much fuel you have
gas burns fine in an msr pocket rocket much lighter cheaper and more packable
plus in 2015 who needs to be manually pricking jets? that went out in the 40's-50's

But you can never have too many stoves!

to true, and said like a true stovie  :D

lol the fact you even know what a hydra burner is sort of implies your either ex army or a closet stovie,which is it?
i'll still stick with the army No7 as my first choice stove, tin of lighter fluid from any newsagent/garage forecourt and i have dinner and a few brews for £2, try finding meths.the right type of gas cans, colemans/panelwipe or paraffin so easily

mickeg
Phoebus ? that isn't a name i expected to hear on here,  how did you come by one of those?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:53:44 pm by Bill C »

Donerol

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 11:32:03 am »

lol real men would be needed to fit a hydra in a Bob Trailer,
btw have you been around one running?  i have and was scared witless of it

I'd never heard of these but as usual google came to my aid:

"They were placed in a shallow trench, with the burner at one end, and metal grilles or plates placed over the rest of the trench, above the flame. Cooking pans and/or pots were then placed on the plates/grilles."

and a Youtube vid:

:o

...try finding meths.the right type of gas cans, colemans/panelwipe or paraffin so easily

White Spirit as sold in the UK for cleaning paint brushes is essentially the same as paraffin and burns very cleanly in my Primus stoves. It's readily available in 500ml bottles for about £1.60 in supermarkets, petrol stations, ironmongers, etc.

Note to American friends - this is NOT white gas i.e. petrol, and is entirely safe in a paraffin/kerosene stove. Good for cleaning chains, too.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:45:20 am by Donerol »

John Saxby

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 02:46:22 pm »
Thanks, Donerol, that's helpful.  I didn't know about "White Spirit". (In my neighbourhood, I'm the go-to guy for Strange Substances Made Only in UK, this on account of my Dorset roots.  I usually respond with tall tales about Marmite in varying viscosities.)

At the risk of complicating things further in this thicket of confusing names, you note that
White Spirit as sold in the UK...is NOT white gas i.e. petrol.

Can't speak for the States, but here in the Canajan part of America, "white gas", also known as "naptha gas" is similar to Coleman fuel, and will burn in Coleman stoves, as well as in multi-fuel stoves such as my MSR Dragonfly and my old msr G/K. On the latter and the Dragonfly, however, with white/naptha gas or Coleman fuel, you have to use the "G" jet, as the "K" jet is for kerosene/paraffin (though it will also work with aviation fuel or diesel.)

The Dragonfly works with petrol/gasoline as well (on the "G" jet), though I avoid using that fuel because the fumes are so combustible. Naptha/white gas & Coleman fuel seem more stable in that respect.

There's probably a sub-thread here, on "things I have burned in my multi-fuel stoves"...

leftpoole

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 03:17:09 pm »
Thanks, Donerol, that's helpful.  I didn't know about "White Spirit". (In my neighbourhood, I'm the go-to guy for Strange Substances Made Only in UK, this on account of my Dorset roots.  I usually respond with tall tales about Marmite in varying viscosities.)

At the risk of complicating things further in this thicket of confusing names, you note that
Can't speak for the States, but here in the Canajan part of America, "white gas", also known as "naptha gas" is similar to Coleman fuel, and will burn in Coleman stoves, as well as in multi-fuel stoves such as my MSR Dragonfly and my old msr G/K. On the latter and the Dragonfly, however, with white/naptha gas or Coleman fuel, you have to use the "G" jet, as the "K" jet is for kerosene/paraffin (though it will also work with aviation fuel or diesel.)

The Dragonfly works with petrol/gasoline as well (on the "G" jet), though I avoid using that fuel because the fumes are so combustible. Naptha/white gas & Coleman fuel seem more stable in that respect.

There's probably a sub-thread here, on "things I have burned in my multi-fuel stoves"...

I like the Dorset roots part because I live in Christchurch, Dorset.
I like the There's probably a sub-thread here, on "things I have burned in my multi-fuel stoves".../b]
because it is getting to be really interesting and informative.
John

Bill C

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 05:26:33 pm »
I like the Dorset roots part because I live in Christchurch, Dorset.
I like the There's probably a sub-thread here, on "things I have burned in my multi-fuel stoves".../b]
because it is getting to be really interesting and informative.
John

lol sub thread on fuels we have burnt. i'm in  ;D
and once someone is stupid enough to mention coffee making, we can have another sub-thread............................................................................................... i like coffee lol

btw as well as white sprit you can also burn barbeque lighting fluid lidl and wilkinsons work a treat, but i still reckon a tin of swan/ronson/zippo lighter fluid is easier to find
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:38:34 pm by Bill C »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 06:40:49 pm »
I am with you Bill on the Optimus Nova +. It is well built and self-cleaning with a magnetic jet cleaner. I have used it with all types of fuel without a problem. You do have to ensure that you only use the wide range of fuel recommended.

I have been using Aspen 4 which is a cleaner form of petrol. Burns very cleanly and powerfully and is less toxic than normal unleaded petrol.

http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/products/environmental-fuels/aspen-alkylate-petrol/aspen-4-alkylate-petrol/

But when touring I haves used normal petrol, diesel, kerosene and lamp oil (like kerosene) without a problem. I think the Optimus Nova + (or similar Primus and MSR stoves) are the way to go for longer cycle tours.

I have also used a Zigg meths stove but its a bit bulky for cycle touring.

Bill C

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 07:25:24 pm »
while we are talking stoves and fuel, I thought this might be useful for anyone planing foreign holidays http://fuel.papo-art.com/

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 10:00:04 pm »
Hi All!

There's three stoves I find myself coming back to over and over for my touring...

1) I've been very pleased with a recent acquisition, a Esbit Alcohol Burner with Trekking Cookset E-CS985HA. Retail usually runs about USD$45 here in the States. Sales link here: http://www.amazon.com/Esbit-CS985H-EX-Cookset-Alcohol-Exchanger/dp/B00B49U1DW
Company link here: http://www.esbit.de/en/products/10/cookset-cs985ha

Powered by what is basically a Trangia clone, I prefer the simmer/snuffer lid on this one as it has a nice, cool little handle for placement that avoids the ring-toss I commonly had to use when capping a hot Trangia in a similar cookset. The parts are interchangeable and I have used the simmer/snuffer lid on my Trangia. The Esbit burner differs in having alternating larger/smaller holes and a few more of them than the Trangia. Burn and boil times are comparable and it stores fuel under its gasketed storage cap as well as the Trangia does. I get a solid 40 minutes unthrottled burning, 2 hours 40 minutes at 50% simmer from a 2.5oz/74ml fill. I like how it includes a little stand to use heat tabs instead of the spirit stove; it adds versatility but at the cost of leaving some sticky residue on the bottom of the pots. One pot serves as a lid for the other, and both locate into the stand so the lot is very stable. It is much smaller than it appears, totaling about 120 x 145mm. When

This little stove kit is made entirely of hard-anodized aluminum, and I augmented with the stand's windscreen with  wraparound one I made from annealed sheet aluminum for really windy days. Everything in the photo below stores inside so I have a grab-and-go solution with dish soap, scraper, dish towel, swiss army knife (Classic) with P-38 can opener, two Primus folding spoon/forks, and an Optimus Sparky piezoelectric igniter.

2) For day rides, I prefer my "Pocket Kitchen" that fits in a rear jersey pocket and is built around a Heineken beer can penny stove and stand I made and two anodized cups with lid. See: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3850.msg16915#msg16915

As much as I love my alcohol stoves (I also own a Mini-Trangia and a whole slew of homemade/assembled ones) and mjuch prefer them for day rides and shorter tours, I've found alcohol's lower heat density means they are less economical for me the longer I am away from civilization.

3) For long solo tours away from resupply here in America, I prefer one of my Coleman Peak1/eXponent multi-fuel stoves, the kind with the wider, more squat base/fuel tank. I've never had a failure in the field or clogged jets, and with just a change of generator pipe, the same stove has burned Coleman fuel/white gas/naphtha, unleaded automotive petrol, No.2 heating oil, kerosene, diesel, and JP-4 jet fuel (used in rancher's helicopters in the Great Basin). Often, I find the only fuel readily available in America's Great Basin is automotive unleaded petrol, so this is the stove of choice there if I run out of carried Coleman fuel. It also has a pump for pressurization at altitude and will simmer nicely and the burner design is nearly windproof, making it a favorite of American troops in Afghanistan for their own kits. The heaviest of my stoves especially when full, it becomes the lightest for longer trips simply because it has proven to be the most efficient user of fuel for me -- especially in extreme cold and/or at altitude/wind.

These are my three touring favorites and the ones I go to most often.

=  =  =  =  =  =

I deplore cannister/cartridge stoves because of the fuel packaging -- it takes up the same space full or empty and must be disposed of responsibly. Still, there are times when they can be handy and I have one in a kit assembled for less than USD$20 from Chinese imports bought on eBay -- a hard-anodized 2-pot set like the Esbit's and Optimus cold-weather iso-butane cartridge an "orange box" piezo-ignited burner: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4637.msg22737#msg22737

There's also my father's ancient Primus 71L (same basic innards as a Svea 123) and my own Primus/Optimus 8R, which runs nicely but has horrible fuel economy compounded by a tiny tank and the need for manual priming if the accessory pump isn't used. A blowtorch stove, it doesn't simmer well and is way heavy in its clever little blue case with the slide-out drawer for operation and stay-cool phenolic handle and integrated cleaning needle...but I got it from my father, and so it remains precious and I can't imagine selling it. Like any good tool, for me it is a touchstone for precious memories.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:45:12 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 01:23:11 am »
There is a fourth stove I take touring, a Mini-Trangia modified with an Esbit burner ('cos I love the simmer/snuffer cap and it works as well as the Trangia otherwise), Mojo stand for greater stability/access to the burner, and a folding windscreen instead of the standard "cup-type" combo stand/windscreen that has never been too effective for me because it blocked high winds poorly and made it hard to access the simmer lid. I still have the original Mini-Trangia stand and have modified it to nest inside a cup, using a desktop computer tower fan finger guard as a grille to support smaller vessels.

The Mojo pot stand is sold on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mojo-Pot-Stand-for-Trangia-Alcohol-Stove-/141388863916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20eb6ed9ac

I like how the Mini-Trangia pot lid is also works as a non-stick frypan and dish and the set includes a surprisingly effective pot gripper. This is the alcohol set I take if I want to fry spam and eggs; otherwise it is the Esbit for mostly boiling water and soups. Each has its strengths.

As with all my stove kits, everything you see stows inside...but in this case, the windscreen and Mojo stand go in the sack that holds the stove and prevents any soot from getting on my panniers. The little transluscent fuel bottle holds another 3oz/89ml for a full burner refill with a little to spare, giving me about 80 minutes total cooking time at full throttle.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 02:05:22 pm »
Thanks, Dan, for these reviews.  I'll look for the Esbit flame adjuster/snuffer to add to my Trangia. 

One point to add for the Mojo stand, for the benefit of readers: these are available on eBay, but the maker mails them only within the US. (Not uncommon on eBay.) So, if you're not resident in the States, you'll need a postal address there. (A friend in Manhattan is my boîte à terre for such items.) The Mojo is excellent--light, compact, effective, & inexpensive.

Bill C

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 05:15:50 pm »
hi Dan
interesting mix of stoves, the trangia (liberty mountain) westwind is what your mojo stand was based on, but the mojo looks much nicer with it's drillium styling, nice touch by the maker
tried buying one in the past but UK so he wouldn't send

john if your only after the simmer ring esbit is no longer a real brand, it was bought out by someone as it's an established name, just like wolf power tools were, they used to be english now just rebadged chinese stuff
you can buy the complete burner and stand with simmer ring http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Outdoor-Camping-Survival-Alcohol-Burner-Cook-Stove-Camp-Furnace-With-Stand-/350883409793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51b247ef81  

Dan you use alcohol on your tours? as it isn't a very good choice for more than a few days, (calorific value of fuel, after 6/7 days my lump of an army No7 works out lighter than a 100g burner and stand combo) i'll explain if your interested, don't want to type loads just to come a cross as a boring ahole

EDIT just reread your post and spotted the bit about fuel economy and your coleman. lol

btw your optimus 8 sounds poorly and in need of tlc, they have a reputation as good controllable little stoves and are normally quiet miserly with fuel,

1st thing i'd check is make sure the wick is attached, if you take the tank lid off in bright light you should see what looks like a load of cotton mop strands in there, the wick can come loose from the fuel pick up tube from tank to burner (rare) if it's slopping around from side to side you might hear rattling as the wick has wire around it
the wick not only soaks up fuel for the burner but it also acts as a restrictor,too loose and the stove will eat fuel/run to hot, too tight and it won't run well as it won't be able to build enough pressure to overcome the restriction and will tend to huff and puff till it's hot

hopefully the wick will be ok the 2nd thing to look at is replacing the jet with a new one as once worn they allow too much fuel out and start getting a bit blowlampy
google a&h packstoves for spares your side of the pond

if your wondering why i said look in the tank first before replacing a jet,no point in buying a jet if the wick isn't fitted, but it's very rare that a wick comes loose

get the 8r serviced and you might rethink your stove strategy, it's a good few years old and will probably see out your great grandson if serviced, bit of an heirloom is the old family stove  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:28:35 pm by Bill C »

John Saxby

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 05:26:47 pm »
Thanks, Bill, for that tip on the "Esbit" simmer ring.  I manage all right with my Trangia, it's just a bit fiddly & I'm always on the lookout for a better mousetrap/labour-saving device -- not so much so that I need a whole new stove, tho'  :-)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 05:50:05 pm »
Hi Bill!

Many thanks for your kind and detailed reply; much appreciated, but I am a veteran stove mechanic, having overhauled many for others over the last three decades. My little 8R is simply less economical compared to my other white gas stoves in the past, but is itself working well and the wick is in good nick and well attached, as is the cleaning needle and elevator mechanism. The simmer problem is more one of my hasty writing than a stove failure -- it can be throttled down nicely, but I meant the "roarer" burner concentrates heat in a smaller area and so requires more minding and stirring than other burner designs that spread the flame over a wider area.

I wish the 8R had a larger tank so I could avoid longer the need to carry spare fuel in a dedicated bottle. It is convenient and ultimately less heavy if I can carry more in the stove's own fuel reservoir so I can avoid the space and weight of a separate bottle. The little blue-painted steel case is a gem, but heavy to carry as I did for many years while touring. I always liked the compact form-factor and pot stability and stay-cool handle. No rust on mine thanks to careful use. It still works fantastically for picnics and car-camping but has just become less ideal over the years for my touring. It'll stay in the family for "passing down". Can one ever really consider *parting* with a stove? ;)

Yep! Alcohol is fine for day rides and short tours in my use as the stoves are generally lighter/smaller than other types, but the lower heat density indeed makes them heaviest (in terms of fuel carried and used) the longer I'm Away. The breakover point for me comes at about the 3-day mark, if I'm cooking regularly and not just boiling a cup of water at a time. Still, it sure has been nice to have a complete cook kit that fits in one of my rear jersey pockets for the odd cup of hot tea on a long day ride.

All the best,

Dan.

Bill C

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 07:03:55 pm »
Hi Dan
teaching grandmother to suck eggs springs to mind, lol  ::) 30 years is longer than i've been a stovie

Can one ever really consider *parting* with a stove? ;)

it took a shiny new Sherpa frame to make me part with any last time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank God Thorn no longer do the city slicker  ;)

atb Bill