Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Occasional clunky changes

(1/1)

gearoidmuar:
I've done about 1700 miles from new. For last week or so I'm getting an occasional clunky change, maybe two in 50 miles. Today I changed from 10 to 11 and the hub rapidly changed to a bigger gear after the change and back down again. I'm getting these intermittent minor problems with changing. The gear does not slip once IN gear. Should I change the oil? The cables are NOT too tight. I've experimented with tightness and it makes no difference.

julk:
I have done 4000 miles from new and still get the very occasional clunky change going from 9 to 10.
I suspect it is when I rush the change, I never get it when I change gear slowly.

In the very early days I also got a couple of slips when the gears didn't mesh straight away. Changing the oil a couple of times certainly sorted that, so I would recommend an early oil change as a Christmas present for your hub. It may also help to change gear a fraction slower.

gearoidmuar:
Thanks. Will do. Must get the teapot ready!

Cake:
As Julk says, an oil change is the solution more than likely.

I had a couple of slips during the first thousand miles and the flush and change stopped the slips totally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version