Author Topic: I have a Sherpa; would an Audax better suit my needs?  (Read 12253 times)

peter jenkins

Re: I have a Sherpa; would an Audax better suit my needs?
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:51 pm »
Damn!

I've done it again.

The answer to my question is on the SJS website.

Sorry everyone.

pj

peter jenkins

jags

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2013, 12:43:13 pm »
hi Peter believe me i thought of that as well but i dont think they take part exchange moores the pity.
anyway i had an email from Steve@ sjs cycles
 this morning he reckons i'm looking for to much money for my sherpa  ::) so i guess if i want to sell it i will have to drop the price.
just shows even though  you keep your bike in tip top condition its not worth  as much as you were hoping to get such as life.
and heres another silly question i have to fill in the form on the website to get the perfect size frame but to be honest i cant make head nor tail out of the info they want :-[
surly if i give my inside leg measurements my height maybe top tube lenght that should be enough.
i'm only buying the frame so what is the critical measurements i should send sjs.

yeah i know i'm an idiot ;D

rualexander

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2013, 02:35:51 pm »
Jags
Remember that as you are now buying a mk3 frame & forks only, you get the benefit of the 100 day money back guarantee if the frame doesn't suit you. So you will have the option of changing it for a different size, or even getting a refund and buying a Club Tour frame or even another Sherpa frame if you end up wanting to go back to where you started!

Andybg

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2013, 03:24:11 pm »
Hi Jags

That is the sad thing that no matter how good you keep a bike and how new it is - as soon as it leaves the shop its value is almost cut in half. The other option for you is to look at the benefits the other way and maybe looking at sourcing a second hand audax. They dont come up too often (maybe a sign of how good they are) but they do come up from time to time.

Andy

jags

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2013, 03:58:02 pm »
Thanks Lads appreciate the input.
if i can figure out how to fill in section one of the perfect frame size on the sjs site  ::)i reckon i will have the perfect bike for the type of cycling i do.
the lad i'm dealing with at sjs is a gentleman ,Steve he has the patience of a saint. ;D ;D
i think to be honest i will just go with selling the frame ,i will hate to sell is cheap because its in perfect nick really nice frame, but if i have to drop a few pennies i suppose its the only way i'll sell it besides i still have the wheels to sell someone somewhere is gonna get a serious good deal ;)
man i#m like a big kid can't wait to get my hands on that bike  ;D ;D
as we say here in  Ireland ,I'm a sad fecker. ;D

peter jenkins

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2013, 07:59:41 am »
i have to fill in the form on the website to get the perfect size frame surly if i give my inside leg measurements my height maybe top tube lenght that should be enough.
i'm only buying the frame so what is the critical measurements i should send sjs.

Hi Jags et al,

Let me be the one to ask the silly question...

If SJS knows the size of your Sherpa frame (and stem length?) wouldn't it be a simple matter to match that to the appropriate size Audax frame?

It's not as if there is an infinite range of sizes in either version.

Just wondering...

pj

jags

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2013, 09:40:12 am »
Peter with a bit of help from Dan i got the form filled OK so the frame i need is
525/s  M audax frame.seems my sherpa frame was no help in sizing up the new frame  ::)..

i had the sherpa on the bike stand yesterday giving it the usual shampoo and blowdry sticking a bit of polish on all the sexy parts  ;D ;D i have to say its a stunning wee bike i have it exactly the way i want it so why then am i so anxious to get rid of it .well to be honest if i could afford to buy the audax  i would never sell the sherpa ,but such is life been out of work is a drag  great i have loads of my free time  to do what ever i want but the down side is you never have a penny in your pocket i think that's a line from  a song  ::) but look life is good I'm not really complaning just a wee rant  ;D

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 06:53:05 pm »
Jags - first off - I can sympathise with the too much time, not enough income situation as I have been in a similar position myself ....

There is currently an Audax on eBay (UK) - not quite the size you want but it should give you an idea of costs for 2nd hand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310686232926?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

jags

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2013, 07:17:57 pm »
Jags - first off - I can sympathise with the too much time, not enough income situation as I have been in a similar position myself ....

There is currently an Audax on eBay (UK) - not quite the size you want but it should give you an idea of costs for 2nd hand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310686232926?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
thanks sdg yeah lovely bike wonder what will it sell for the £100 is just a starting bidi reckon.never bought anything off ebay.

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2013, 07:56:30 pm »
Jags, we bought my wife's first road bike from eBay.  Accepting that some risk was involved we paid £285 (inc postage) for a well used Specialized Dolce. One new chain, two new tyres and some faffing about with brake cables and a stem from the bits box it was a going concern.  Since then it has been passed on to our son's girlfriend as Gill decided she liked roadie cycling and bought a Cannondale Synapse. 

I would have thought there was much less risk involved with buying from SJSC?  Their description looks to be pretty open - clearly the transmission needs fettling.

You mentioned Steve at Thorn earlier - he helped us when we ordered our Sherpas,  as you say, he is patient and helpful.  He would probably sort out some more info on the eBay Audax if you asked.

hope that helps
sdg.

jags

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2013, 08:33:36 pm »
SDG i would love to bid  especally as sjs are selling but no mun no fun ;D ;D
yeah steve is a real nice guy doesnt mind answering silly questions, just hope he doesnt think my last one is off the wall  ;D ;D.

Relayer

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2013, 08:28:15 am »
Jags, when you spoke to Steve / SJSC did they say anything about their stock of Audax Mk3 frames?

Looking at the SJSC website today, it looks as though their stocks are decimated and they are only available in extreme sizes in a couple of colours  ???

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-audax-frames-dept432_pg1/

Very strange ... even stranger than the ever continuing listing of the Sterling/Alfine being marked out of stock.

leftpoole

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2013, 09:59:47 am »
Jags, when you spoke to Steve / SJSC did they say anything about their stock of Audax Mk3 frames?

Looking at the SJSC website today, it looks as though their stocks are decimated and they are only available in extreme sizes in a couple of colours  ???

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-audax-frames-dept432_pg1/

Very strange ... even stranger than the ever continuing listing of the Sterling/Alfine being marked out of stock.

Hello,
Nothing strange at all. Out of stock means sold due to popularity. Odd sizes for odd sized people.....
New stock arriving at virtually any moment!
I still feel that 'jags' should and possibly will keep the Sherpa. Used price lower than anticipated, need for Audax pure want rather than need!
John

in4

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2013, 10:02:22 am »
I think the last of the Sterlings bar one sold only a few months ago. There is a smaller one still for sale but I gather that the new Nomad X is its re-energised offspring! . Proffering a view: I imagine that carrying a large stock of different frames in different sizes is not cheap so, particularly in these 'difficult' times, a degree of rationalisation would seem sensible. Interestingly the market for used Thorns seems quite buoyant given the activity on ebay, here and elsewhere. (Sounds like a a Beatles song that!  :) )