Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 2243 times)

Matt2matt2002

What is it?
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:58 am »
Quote is from a CGOAB journal.
I have read about this before.
What is it called?
How is it done?
Is it illegal?
( I know the why, when, who and where)

We had two trucks full of young people go past us. The first was full of boys and they blew smoke all over us with their exhaust. I’m not sure how it was done but we had been warned from other cyclists about it.

Matt, who hopes this practice does not migrate across to UK.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

honesty

Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 11:43:36 am »
Its a practice called rolling coal. I believe the modifications required would make vehicles fail their MOT in the UK. It's something that really should be legislated against in America though...

RonS

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 03:13:33 pm »
It is caused by putting too much fuel into a Diesel engine by reprogramming the  ECM ( computer ), and it would cause a vehicle to fail an emissions test. The ECM  can be reset to factory spec for an inspection though.

Unfortunately, you can't legislate against stupidity.

And I have had it done to me.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:31:06 pm »
It is caused by putting too much fuel into a Diesel engine by reprogramming the  ECM ( computer ), and it would cause a vehicle to fail an emissions test. The ECM  can be reset to factory spec for an inspection though.

Unfortunately, you can't legislate against stupidity.

And I have had it done to me.

So does the driver rev the engine to cause the smoke or - flip a switch on the dashboard?
And having reprogrammed the ECM, does the engine run that way all the time? And if so, isnt that, well, I was going to say crazy, but I guess the whole thing is crazy, nuts and as you say - should be illegal.

Do the cops ever stop anyone for it?
If the engine is not giving out smoke all the time, I guess they would have to see it - or have it reported to them?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 07:07:28 pm »
Honesty called it right: "Rolling Coal" and I have been subject to it as well.  >:(

Even washing did not remove the odor or stains from my clothing and it dumps carcinogens into the air and lungs.

If you have not seen/experienced it, here is a video that shows this dreadful practice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbAhfThNoco

The latest variant is deliberately subjecting oneself to an over-rich diesel-smoke dousing as a way of "proving"...something. These things leave me pessimistic about the future of humanity.

It is akin to putting HID arc-lighting kits in ordinary automotive lamp housings and driving at night: An obnoxious and wasteful use of resources, intended solely to annoy others. The difference here is the "prank" can be employed at will against others, then disguised, making fines and prosecution difficult.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:09:06 pm by Danneaux »

onrbikes

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 08:22:47 pm »
Never seen this done before but don't believe we need these people in the gene pool.

Would like to see them try that on a bunch of bikies.

DAntrim

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 03:40:19 pm »
Having not seen / heard of this either, just watched the you tube video, another senseless act