Author Topic: XTC HEAD BADGE- ADVICE PLEASE  (Read 4602 times)

Penguin

XTC HEAD BADGE- ADVICE PLEASE
« on: January 15, 2016, 04:53:03 pm »
I have recently brought a second hand Thorn XTC that is about 15 years old.  It has been powder coated matt black.  As I hope you can see from the picture the powder coating has covered the head badge.  I would like to get the head badge back to something like its original condition.  Can anybody tell me what it is supposed to look like please?  Or better still, let me have a photo?

This is my first time on the forum - indeed on any forum - so if I am doing it wrong, I apologise.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: XTC HEAD BADGE- ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 05:19:11 pm »
This is my first time on the forum - indeed on any forum - so if I am doing it wrong, I apologise.
Welcome! I think you'll like it here, and find helpful answers to your queries forthcoming. You're doing everything right so far.  :)

All congratulations on your purchase of an xTc -- looking forward to seeing photos if it in the Gallery!

As for your head badge, the lettering itself is almost certainly polished stainless steel. Forum member BillC just completed a stunning respray of his xTc and achieved a particularly nice result with his own head badge, which you can see here:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11589.0

I've managed to recover some stainless underlays that were subsequently powdercoated. I found it too risky to try chemical means for removing the powdercoat. Gel-type aircraft stripper will remove powdercoat pretty efficiently, but there is too much chance it will migrate to areas you want to remain coated. Instead, I've used craft knives (Exacto) and single-edged razor blades to cleanly peel powdercoat from the stainless substrate before polishing. Results were good, but perhaps Bill has a better suggestion. Dave Whittle of Thorn's Workshop might have a suggestion as well; your badge looks to be older than Bill's.

I'm currently pondering whether to unearth some chrome-plated lugs on a bike project of my own. Hmm. Leave them nicely painted or...?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:21:29 pm by Danneaux »

Bill C

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:09:26 pm »
if i was going to do that head badge, I'd mask all around it to protect the frame, then using 400 wet n dry and a suitable size flat block very gently start rubbing it down, it's going to take a good while
when all the powdercoat is removed then wet n dry 800 to get rid of any scratches
if you do it carefully you shouldn't do much harm to the powder coat in the recesses,
personally i wouldn't clean out the recesses as you'll be back to steel frame and risk rusting, and the black background will really make the badge pop when it's polished
i'd then get a dremel and flexshaft and a bullet tip felt (dremel 4000 &No 422 is what i used) with a Lidl bit of blue compound  ;)
chances are that if it's been powdercoated then it's been shot blasted so expect some work to remove the pitting from that
very worthwhile and all the bling a Thorn needs

remember to mask well as dremels and wet n dry can ruin good paint in moments, better to be safe than pi55ed off   

nice Bike btw (if it's this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-XTC-bicycle-size-560L-/201496088714?hash=item2eea1a508a%3Ag%3AjnQAAOSwKtlWiWw3&nma=true&si=oRxsookmlP708IVWjVo%252Bg6F4qG8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 ) , look forward to seeing the completed pics
atb Bill
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:25:59 pm by Bill C »

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 06:31:51 pm »
Thanks very much.  It was just what I was hoping for.  In summary

- the head badge is probably stainless steel
- its probably best polished with no colour
- the colour of the frame shows through the stencilled letters 'THORN' and XTC' - that is, the letters have no backing
- the best way to remove the powder coating it either very fine wet and dry, or pick/peeled off with a small sharp blade.

Again, thank you.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 07:53:26 pm »
In summary...
Yep!  ;D

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 08:59:00 pm »
you have your work cut out to get it back to perfect but once done it will be super cool  8) 8)

have fun stay calm at all times.

jags.

Bill C

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 01:38:41 pm »
knew i had some saved pics somewhere, seems the badges weren't polished originally or at least not in this pic,
painted then picked out in the same colour as the name and model text

jags

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 03:05:45 pm »
nice bike Bill ;)

Bill C

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 03:51:18 pm »
not mine, it's from the wayback machine i trawl through the old site sometimes for a drool

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 04:05:58 pm »
Nice job, Bill!

I'd say that's about as definitive as can be.

Best,

Dan.

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 04:18:49 pm »
Thanks very much Bill.  I couldn't have asked for anything better. 

And it will be a lot easier to pick out the letters than to take off the powder coating.

I'm very grateful.

rualexander

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 05:40:14 pm »
So what's the deal with the two thin spars behind the bottom bracket between the chainstays? Something to do with supporting one end of a pump, I see a pump peg at the top of the seat stays?

Penguin

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 06:49:46 pm »
Yes, you're right.  They support the bottom of a Zefal pump.  I attach a couple of photos.