Author Topic: Dry feet  (Read 2257 times)

Matt2matt2002

Dry feet
« on: October 02, 2012, 10:13:36 pm »
Following on from the great posts about extended front mud guards may I seek advice on keeping my feet dry.
Or rather, my boots.
I intend to tour with flat pedals and walking boots. I do use spd pedals and cleats at the moment but for my planned long tour I want to go native. Rather than take cycling shoes and walking boots I plan to combine the two.
I have seen over shoes for cycling; they have a purpose built in gap / slit under the sole. But I don't think they would be suitable for walking boots.
Any ideas folks?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Dry feet
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:00:45 pm »
Hi Matt!

This won't be a direct answer to your question, but have you considered the possibility of cycling in something like sandals -- either with open or closed toes (i.e. Keens) -- with a waterproof/breathable sock of some sort, like a SealSkins type, perhaps over a wool sock for warmth in the winter?

As I recall, Sheldon Brown did something like this with his SPD sandals, but one woudn't need clipless pedals to make it work.

All the best,

Dan. (positively sideways from lateral thinking...)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:32:57 am »
I have these shoe covers:

http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/accessories/club-shoe-covers

They came without holes in the soles. I cut holes in them because at the time I had clipless pedals. Now I have switched to platform pedals! Maybe I will buy a new pair!

I have worn sandals a lot with my platform pedals, but only in warm weather. I need to try out some of those waterproof socks. Sounds like a way to cover a wide range of conditions with minimum weight!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:55:06 am »
Hi Matt!

This won't be a direct answer to your question, but have you considered the possibility of cycling in something like sandals -- either with open or closed toes (i.e. Keens) -- with a waterproof/breathable sock of some sort, like a SealSkins type, perhaps over a wool sock for warmth in the winter?

As I recall, Sheldon Brown did something like this with his SPD sandals, but one woudn't need clipless pedals to make it work.

Dan. (positively sideways from lateral thinking...)

Sorry Dan, I should have said that I will be going through some very high, windy cold places. Sandles will come with me for the warmer sections

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:59:06 am »
I have these shoe covers...

Ooh, those look really promising, Jim; thanks for the heads-up!  I know REI carries ShowersPass (the company is based in Portland), and I see they carry these as well. I'm planning to drop by the local store at week's end, so I'll take a look at them. They look very much like my homemade pair from ~30 years ago, and it would be a lot nicer to buy them than remake mine from scratch -- they were a lot of work to make fit snugly while allowing "just enough" give for free ankle movement while pedaling.

Helpful as always, Jim; thanks again for flagging these!

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:23:32 am »
Sorry Dan, I should have said that I will be going through some very high, windy cold places. Sandles will come with me for the warmer sections

Ah! Matt, I don't think you'll find any of the usual cycling-oriented shoe covers will fit your boots -- those sorts of covers tend to be slim-fitting an dintended for low-cup shoes. Perhaps something like the covers Jim mentioned above would do the trick; it might be worth seeing if you can find a place that would allow you to test-fit a pair to your clean boots in the showroom.

Hmm.

I see a couple routes you may also wish to explore:
1) How about a boot liner, perhaps something like the SealSkins brand of waterproof socks -- maybe layered with various thicknesses of wool liner socks -- and simply allow the boots to get wet while your feet stay (relatively) dry and warm.
2) There are also covers intended for hiking-style boots. Perhaps this guide will help:
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/gaiters.html
Of course, gaiters don't cover the entire boot, so success would depend on treating the leather with a waterproofing compound (assuming the boots are leather). My favorite is Sno-Seal ( http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html ), but there are a number of preparations out there that work equally well for other users. Such treatments need reapplication, but can help prolong the life of your footwear by protecting the leather from water and preventing it from drying out and cracking over time.

I see more and more "cycle-trekkers" riding in boots; a tremendous number of long-distance tourists used them in The Netherlands when I was there. They're versatile, so a nice way to reduce your footwear collection while on-tour, and you're always ready if you need to demount and push your bike or simply wish to go hiking. As an an old roadie, I tend to be at the other extreme, riding in (vintage) racing cleats with my quill pedals and toe clips/straps. For off-bike use, I carry a pair of nylon-mesh clogs built on trainer bottoms. They serve for everything from hiking to shower shoes. They are anything but waterproof and drain freely and dry quickly. Vive la différence; to each is own, it's all good!

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 08:38:45 am »
Thanks Dan.
Great to draw on your knowldge and experiences

Any thoughts on expanding your mud flap project to include side projections?
Thinking of Micky Mouse ear kinda things
Of course if developed commercially we would have to market is "Michael Mouse" to avoid copy-write infringements.
 ;)
But seriously - thanks for thoughts / ideas - which I will explore and report back on.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 04:06:31 pm »
Any thoughts on expanding your mud flap project to include side projections?
Hi Matt!

You're welcome!

This'll be just what you need: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4523.msg24089#msg24089

Best,

Dan. ("M-i-c, h-a-e..." just doesn't have the same ring to it! 'Would keep me outta trouble, tho...)